Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
I will comment on the one on "how the opposite sex functions" bit however, a society where simplistic physical violence determines everything? Why would you even ask? Beyond the scope of any modern human, this is never the case. However, you ascribe behaviors based solely on patriarchal grounds, this isn't the case in even "patriarchal" societies, we never get there alone. Shaming, and degradation as a control method is not a unique concept, and it sure as hell isn't only a male means to do so. Which you seem to depute, I am unsure as to why, if not, I haven't any idea w.t.h. your actually trying to argue here with me.
At this point, Wayne, I don't know whether you truly fail to understand what I've been saying, or just pretending. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, let me break it down:

The article claimed that only women (with few exception that can be ignored) -- that only women -- use shaming and degradation as means of social control. With me so far? Men, by contrast (the article claimed) use only physical aggression as means of social control. Now, if that were true, then a patriarchal society (defined as a society where women have no right to vote, no right to hold public office, and enjoy fewer civil rights than men, if any), there would be no shaming or degradation, and all social controls would be accomplished solely by means of physical violence. I brought up the shaming and degradation practices of patriarchal societies as evidence that the claim that only women use shaming and degradation as social control is wrong and contrary to historical evidence. Nowhere did I claim that only men practice shaming and degradation in a bid to control others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
At this point, Wayne, I don't know whether you truly fail to understand what I've been saying, or just pretending. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, let me break it down:
**snip**
Definitely should. At this point I'd have to go back to the whatever the first response I gave that cascaded this conversation to go days. Yes, I love a good debate, but yes my attention span especially here is not that great.

Perhaps even a misinterpretation of what you originally said, doubtful, but all of what you state that I cut there I fully agree with, as in your argument against.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I've seen really nasty gossip at work. But I think women are truly competitive. I avoid that like the plague, that's why I work odd hours and at night.
I think married women are terrified of single women. They think their husband is so hot, they think every woman wants him. Makes you want to say, "Sorry, but I don't want your husband, don't flatter yourself." Heh.
I searched for this topic so as to not start an entire new thread but please any suggestions?
I am currently in the mist of the absolute worse group of women. No one will own their "gossiping" about the other although they all carry their christian banner, I pray Isaiah 53 daily
any other ideas? job change not an option

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I searched for this topic so as to not start an entire new thread but please any suggestions?
I am currently in the mist of the absolute worse group of women. No one will own their "gossiping" about the other although they all carry their christian banner, I pray Isaiah 53 daily
any other ideas? job change not an option
BTDT. Once worked with a bunch of Harpies. This worked for me. Put your PolyAnna socks on and keep them on.. Always believe the best. Refuse to accept the worst. Everytime they say something nasty about somebody say you cant believe it cause they are so nice. ( Even if theyre not.) Really!!!! Are you sure? Who told you that? Seven is such a nice person Im sure she would never do THAT!!!!!! Refuse to believe anything bad about anybody. Dont challenge the gossip itself. Just keep saying how nice they are. Make up stuff if you have to. I cant believe it. Seven always helps old ladies across the street.

They may not stop but they will stop doin it around you. Cause you take all the fun out of it. AND youre too addle brained to appreciate good gossip. In my case I like to think I slowed down the gossip machines momentum down a little cause I made it too much work to do it around me. I think these things can take on a life of their own as everyone tries to one up each other. The one bad apple thing can apply too. Sometimes one peep with a rotten attitude can contaminate a whole office.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 07-20-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Going to church does not make you nice. Some of the meanest people I know go to church twice a week.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 AM

751 posts, read 1,674,049 times
I think it began way back in Middle School and High School.I also believe that this question could also be asked about the men as well. But I think women are worse then men in regards of being jealous of one another.

Visit a dating site sometime and observe how some of the women threat one another and they may answer your question.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
BTDT. Once worked with a bunch of Harpies. This worked for me. Put your PolyAnna socks on and keep them on.. Always believe the best. Refuse to accept the worst. Everytime they say something nasty about somebody say you cant believe it cause they are so nice. ( Even if theyre not.) Really!!!! Are you sure? Who told you that? Seven is such a nice person Im sure she would never do THAT!!!!!! Refuse to believe anything bad about anybody. Dont challenge the gossip itself. Just keep saying how nice they are. Make up stuff if you have to. I cant believe it. Seven always helps old ladies across the street.

They may not stop but they will stop doin it around you. Cause you take all the fun out of it. AND youre too addle brained to appreciate good gossip. In my case I like to think I slowed down the gossip machines momentum down a little cause I made it too much work to do it around me. I think these things can take on a life of their own as everyone tries to one up each other. The one bad apple thing can apply too. Sometimes one peep with a rotten attitude can contaminate a whole office.
Yes, I guess saying nothing is the same as going on with it, I will try it out and let you know!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Default Why are some women so mean to each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is not true, they do not discriminate, its just that if the creature they encounter does not feed their need for flattery, romance, sex or money, well you know what happens next.
Around here, with 185 single men for every single 100 women in the 30 to 35 age bracket, women are very pleasant and supportive to each other, at least from what I see at work.

I suppose, a highly competitive environment tends to bring out the worst in people. Nothing like getting your a$$ kissed to assuage any negative vibes.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Women are trouble lol. They always want to steal the bf of their female friends lol..

Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

You rock Cecilia Rose!

Changing the subject whenever it gets too personal or degenerates to sniping really works too. AND never, never moan and groan about anybody when you're at work because some people just see it as an opening to launch a tirade about their least favorite person.

Yep! Being perceived as airy fairy and an Uber Pollyanna when it comes to gossip is a great persona to develop for work. SAVES so much valuable work time too!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,259 times
It may be more than an urban legend, but it is most definitely exaggerated. Most women are supportive of each other. The few that fit this stereotype are, imo, emotionally and socially stunted. They just need some time to mature and find their own inner sense of self-worth and beauty. Easier said than done in these cases, since what we are dealing with here can be thought of as internalized oppression. As long as they believe themselves to be disempowered, they will try to disempower other women and cling to their men for dear life. It's tragic but not as widespread as one might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships