Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

a couple of recent topics got me thinking: in my home environment, I know hundreds of people of all ages, with the exception of 2 women who are divorced, everyone I know is married (their first & only marriage).

in contrast, where I am now, I also know hundreds of people; with the exception of 2 couples who are in their late twenties, all of these other people are single. they range from people who prefer "dating" to be their chosen lifestyle, to those who have living-together arrangements with a long string of different people, to a few who have said they had been married 5 or 6 times.

anyone have a viewpoint as to what accounts for the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:54 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Short answer from my view? Individuality.

Some have had bad luck, others made bad choices, others see the other options differently, other see what's happened to the others decide it's not for them, and on, and on...

There are so many variables depending on parents, experience, religious background, region...It would probably be a calculus equation that spanned more pages than War and Peace.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
Short answer from my view? Individuality.

Some have had bad luck, others made bad choices, others see the other options differently, other see what's happened to the others decide it's not for them, and on, and on...

There are so many variables depending on parents, experience, religious background, region...It would probably be a calculus equation that spanned more pages than War and Peace.
yes, you make good points there...
but statistically-speaking, doesn't it seem odd?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,589 times
Social and cultural environments habituate and reinforce certain modes of living and attract people of like or compatible mindset.

Small towns and suburbs of course are all about marriage and children.

In Manhattan or San Francisco, as the most opposite extreme, people tend strongly toward being single/dating/co-habiting for life.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
a couple of recent topics got me thinking: in my home environment, I know hundreds of people of all ages, with the exception of 2 women who are divorced, everyone I know is married (their first & only marriage).

in contrast, where I am now, I also know hundreds of people; with the exception of 2 couples who are in their late twenties, all of these other people are single. they range from people who prefer "dating" to be their chosen lifestyle, to those who have living-together arrangements with a long string of different people, to a few who have said they had been married 5 or 6 times.

anyone have a viewpoint as to what accounts for the difference?
wow you know a lot of people!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Simply a personal choice. Some people prefer married and others don't.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Marriage was a lot more popular 50 years ago when the average man couldn't get much sex without it and women were taught that they had to have that ring on their finger to give it up. Divorce was expensive and required almost a trial, so most people who had problems just learned to put up with each other.
Now that we have sexual equality, there is really no point in getting married unless two people want to join together to have a family and secure that with their legal union.
I think young women still hold onto the fantasy of the white dress and big wedding and happily ever after, but the over 50% divorce rate probably tells us that they were not ready for the reality of marriage.
A piece of paper is not going to encourage people to love each other more or less.
A lot of people who are having a love/sexual relationship live together because it is cheaper financially and enables them to have a better lifesltyle. But, again, there is really no reason for them to marry.
In addition, the US government does not support marriage. Two young professionals pay lower taxes individually than if they were married with no children. Two retired seniors get more from social security than if they married.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Marriage was a lot more popular 50 years ago when the average man couldn't get much sex without it and women were taught that they had to have that ring on their finger to give it up..
Now that we have sexual equality, there is really no point in getting married unless two people want to join together to have a family and secure that with their legal union.
A piece of paper is not going to encourage people to love each other more or less.
A lot of people who are having a sexual relationship live together because it is cheaper financially and enables them to have a better lifesltyle. But, again, there is really no reason for them to marry.
In addition, the US government does not support marriage. Two young professionals pay lower taxes individually than if they were married with no children. Two retired seniors get more from social security than if they married.
All true. I know people who lived together, even had kids and wore wedding rings and referred to each other as husband/wife, yet weren't legally married because they paid less taxes on paper and were entitled to more stuff under the law.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
All true. I know people who lived together, even had kids and wore wedding rings and referred to each other as husband/wife, yet weren't legally married because they paid less taxes on paper and were entitled to more stuff under the law.

psst, and you can tell the car insurance people you are still, they don't check for the license.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Simply a personal choice. Some people prefer married and others don't.
Right on!!!!!!!

Now somehow we need to convince the Religious-right zealots that marriage isn't the backbone of Society like they claim it is. If it was, everybody would be married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships