Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,172 times

Advertisements

Hi i'm 16 I live in LV, NV i am engaged, my fiance's family is going to get a divorce and there mom wants me to go. Ill be a roomate and pay my part to stay im going to job fairs to get a job it'll probably be minimum wage 6.50 a hour. But she only wants me to pay 300 a month and i want to go so i could stay with my fiance. My parents dont want me to leave cause they like being my boss. They have let me move out once but to my dads, and i didnt want to cause he dont want me so i came back after so many months. So if i go in and show them 2 checks, and a letter from my roomate stating how much i got to pay and i welcome there. And that its summer now but when school starts im going to do insite a online school. Were thay send you a laptop and all the stuff its a free public school so i could work full-time. And for a reason if needed to stay with my fiance and to start my life now. So can anyone help me, or let me know what you think cause i really want to get emancipated and start my life with my fiance. I'm ready to start my life and will keep trying to get emancipated till i do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Unless your parents are abusive or neglect to provide you with proper care, I highly doubt the courts would emancipate you. You need a more valid reason than "they like being my boss" for why you should be emancipated. They are your parents - of course they're going to act like your boss. As long as they are taking good care of you, whether you like it or not, they are your parents and have a say over your life.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Aaron, could you give us some examples of your parents' bossy behavior?
What have your parents said, if anything, about your quest to become emancipated?

I'm not dismissing your feelings on the subject; just wondering how things got this far. Working full time for minimum wage & going to school online
with a high risk of dropping out....is that really how you want to start a future with your fiancé - at 16? I hope you get lots of responses on this...
one of my nephews and one of nieces were both on a similar path as yours. They are both right around thirty now - and still struggling.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Aaron I will DM you...................

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

Don't do it, Aaron. You "started" your life 16 years ago. I'm sure your fiance is great, but your plan sucks. Get involved in high school, graduate, then get some advanced education. When you have a good job, making $20+/hour, you can start a life with your fiance.

I know it's not what you want to hear, and you will most likely ignore any such advice, but I can't suggest anything else. If you follow through with this grand plan to be with your fiance, it'll be a mistake you'll regret for as long as you live.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Don't do it, Aaron. You "started" your life 16 years ago. I'm sure your fiance is great, but your plan sucks. Get involved in high school, graduate, then get some advanced education. When you have a good job, making $20+/hour, you can start a life with your fiance.

I know it's not what you want to hear, and you will most likely ignore any such advice, but I can't suggest anything else. If you follow through with this grand plan to be with your fiance, it'll be a mistake you'll regret for as long as you live.
I second that post.

I would also keep in mind, as hard as it may be to hear, just because you want to get married at 16 doesn't mean she is the girl for you. I'm sure all of us have dated that young and thought we would get married. It just doesn't happen that way. You have a lot of growing up to do still. Hell, I'm 25 and wouldn't dare get married yet.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,903 times
The problem with getting your life 'started' now, and you will blow off and not believe anything I say so I will keep it short, is that what you want will change once you become an adult. What you want now will typically not be the same thing you want later in life. In today's times you want to do everything you can now while you are still under your parents' roof to prepare yourself for a successful future. Starting life with a minimum wage paying job and not completing high school (which is what will happen) is only preparing you for a life of hardships.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron101 View Post
Hi i'm 16 I live in LV, NV i am engaged, my fiance's family is going to get a divorce and there mom wants me to go. Ill be a roomate and pay my part to stay im going to job fairs to get a job it'll probably be minimum wage 6.50 a hour. But she only wants me to pay 300 a month and i want to go so i could stay with my fiance. My parents dont want me to leave cause they like being my boss. They have let me move out once but to my dads, and i didnt want to cause he dont want me so i came back after so many months. So if i go in and show them 2 checks, and a letter from my roomate stating how much i got to pay and i welcome there. And that its summer now but when school starts im going to do insite a online school. Were thay send you a laptop and all the stuff its a free public school so i could work full-time. And for a reason if needed to stay with my fiance and to start my life now. So can anyone help me, or let me know what you think cause i really want to get emancipated and start my life with my fiance. I'm ready to start my life and will keep trying to get emancipated till i do.
You are 16. They are your boss. You are a child and cannot make wise choices right now cause your brain is not fully developed yet. Good example of this is that you say you are engaged. You are a kid, a child, a minor.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM

337 posts, read 793,946 times
OP - Forget the engagement, forget working at the state fair, stay in REGULAR school, Graduate, See what you can do for post high school education.

Another option for yo may be the military. It will help you mature, help you understand about life, help you understand about work, etc.

Don't follow your finance...too many issues ahead for you.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
A better plan would be to stay at home and save up some money working for a couple years. Dont get married until 18 so your legal in all states (to get housing etc). Think of staying at home as preparation of your work career (you know, the next 46 years). Most of us are not working because we like too, we are just trying to make money to afford a decent lifestyle. We try to like it, because we realized its not worth complaining about, and if it is, we need to get another job. Working for the man is not fun, and it stinks more at $6.50/hr. I make over $40/hr and would love to retire, but have another 20 years to grind out.

Last thing you want to do is move in with your (soon to be) wifes parents...just trust me on this one, it really curtails the fun in multiple ways. But you are 16, and know much more about the world than when you were 14. Maybe the same will hold when 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships