Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Some men don't like women who are on the career ladder because they are super busy, travel a lot, and their priority is work.

Some men would rather THEY be the center of their woman's life.

How do you feel about it? What are your experiences?
I don't think I could. Not to be able to talk, screw and take long walks together would really bother me. It would not last because I would probably cheat on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I have dated women on the career ladder, and it can work, but one has to be open to schedules that will conflict more often than not. Sometimes, with one lady in particular, that I mentioned in the worst heartbreak thread, things worked for a while, but then each of us was half out of phase with repect to the realtionship. Her career is important to her, and I supported, and continue to support, her endeavors since she's very good at what she does, but with my schedule being what it was at that point in time, there was always a feeling that grew that we were 1/2 step apart even when we were in the same room. I think that it can work, but one has to accept the challenges of such relationships and be ready to meet them head-on, since pretending that the situation will sort itself out cheats both you and the one that you love, or the one whom you're dating.

Then again, I know guys who have gone into semi-retirement, starting small businesses, indulging hobbies and golf games, etc. since their wives make more than enough money to maintain the family. For them, it can work, though one guy that I am thinking of is still a grad student, making me wonder if he will ever get a job again.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Heck, I married one. Why?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
I would think that career women are generally very passionate about their careers and that's what motivates them... that or money. I don't know, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just a young little thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I would be fine with a dating such a woman, in fact I think that would be preferable.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
It can work, for some, but in my situation, I would not have been surprised to know that my assistant had run off with her assistant, as they were in communication many times when either myself or my ex-SO were in meetings, on a plane, etc. It depends upon the career and the hours, IMO.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I would think that career women are generally very passionate about their careers and that's what motivates them... that or money. I don't know, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just a young little thing.
That's probably true. But I'd want someone who was passionate about me. I'm not on "the career ladder" either. I'd be able to devote my energies to my partner. I'm not always shooting for bigger and better things.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Some men don't like women who are on the career ladder because they are super busy, travel a lot, and their priority is work.

Some men would rather THEY be the center of their woman's life.

How do you feel about it? What are your experiences?
I've learned since returning to dating that I require a certain amount of time from my SO. I highly doubt that the woman you are describing would have that amount of time available to spend with me and as such it would not be a good match. Ditto for a long-distance relationship or gals in other situations where they have very little free-time.

It isn't about being the center of her life, it's about matching up with each others needs and seeing a gal once maybe twice a week just isn't going to cut it.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I havedated a couple. I enjoyed it as they had similar aspirations as myself. But you come to realize its tough for a couple to be on different company ladders as moving to a new city is often part of the package. Sooner or later one has to choose a) if this is a long term partner and b) are you going to move for her or will she move for you. With that said I prefer dating professional women. No I am not threatened by their success, I am happy for them.

My 'new' reality is dating women who are successful and happy with what they are doing. Not necessarily someone who is looking to move. I've moved enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships