Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,414,368 times

Advertisements

Earlier today, I was with a group of friends, and they were talking about this dude and his lack of.. "experience" with the ladies. To summarize, a couple of them were giving this inexperienced guy some advice, and in a quip, said that he should just hook up with some lonely married chick - just joking around as they do. Anyway, one guy took it a little too serious and started in about how nobody should ever date someone who's already married. He made a big deal about it, went on for quite awhile. The point he made was true and valid, but ill-advised.

See, the kicker here is this: The dude that gave the advice, well, he's doing exactly what he advises against. Nobody knows he's doing this but me and one other guy, and believe me, later on I let the dude have it.

While that's an extreme example, it got me thinking about something. How many people really follow their own advice? I'll be the first to admit that I've done things that go completely against advice I've given others, and kicked myself afterwords for it. I absolutely hate it when people do that to other people.

Then again, maybe I'm just a perfectionist..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
If I'm going to give advice against something that I know myself to be doing then I would preface the advice.

I'm not really one for "do as I say, not as I do"

AND I can't stand being a hypocrit.

I usually follow my own advice and if I know what I should have done but didn't I'll say that too.

Nah, there's no flies on me!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,518 times
I have done this, but never in a way your friend has. It is a bit hypocritical to go on a rant against infidelity while you know you are doing it later on that night with someone else's spouse.

Sometimes guilt gives people diarrhea of the mouth.

If I know something I am doing isn't the wisest, I won't advise my friends to do the same. I try to give them the best advice that would work in their situation, not necessarily my own.

For example, my ex used to go out to bars and come home at some ungodly hour. I let him get away with it at times for a number of reasons. When my friends go through the same thing, I would never tell them to stay quiet like I did because even though I went against my advice, I realized what I was doing wasn't the way it should be done.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times
Ugh, hypocrites.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:39 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,150 times
Lots of people are saying one thing as advice to others and doing the opposite, it's easy to give advice when it's not concerning you. Doesn't always mean you're a bad person or immoral. Just that people don't think about their own situation when talking to someone.
But when it comes to the really important things like cheating or stealing and things like that, I would say that's very poor behavior..

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I'm trying to look at the upside here, perhaps the person giving the advice has learned something from their mistakes and wants to share what they've learned.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 AM

51 posts, read 138,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm trying to look at the upside here, perhaps the person giving the advice has learned something from their mistakes and wants to share what they've learned.
I agree, it's like a alcoholic or a drug addict telling you not to use drugs or

drink alcohol. Most people call this being a hypocrite. However, there is

another way to see this. Who better to give you advice than the person who

has or is living through a similar situation.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,703,578 times
Advice is based off the PAST and PREDICTS the future. Like stocks, past performance does not guarantee FUTURE performance...You can say and advise to never sleep with a married person. Then things things happen...You and your SO isn't go well, they are spending more late nights at work and them cheating is in the front of your mind...You randomly meet someone who has the same interests as you...They say they're married but will be divorcing soon...The question that needs to be asked when answering this question about "practicing what you preach", what opportunity would
lead you to go against your advice?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
this was a good post. several times i have been given great advice-- benefited much-- but those who gave it did not heed it and suffered.
lots of good stuff gets thrown in the trash, keep your eyes open.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-02-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm not really one for "do as I say, not as I do"

AND I can't stand being a hypocrit.
He-he, I'm one of those hypocrites. In my defense, that happens only on this forum. The rest of my practical suggestions on other forums are things I do.

Hey, it's not like I can't dispense some good advice... Whether I follow it or not is really irrelevant to the other person. It doesn't make the advice itself any worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships