Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
a sexual component... Is that the basis of the relationship? No more so than it is the basis of your marriage. I mean, really, is that all your marriage is? The sex? Is that the ONLY thing that sets it apart from every other relationship in your life? Is that the ONLY reason you are even married to begin with?

We work together towards common goals... financially, we get there quicker with more than two incomes. We look out for each other. We take care of each other.
This is an excellent point that I've tried to put into words when discussing similar topics with people before. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 AM

173 posts, read 391,666 times
Interesting apparently someone thinks polyamory and polyandry are the same. The threads were combined.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM

pol·y·an·dry (pl-ndr)
n.
1. The condition or practice of having more than one husband at one time.
2. Zoology A mating pattern in which a female mates with more than one male in a single breeding season.
3. Botany The condition of being polyandrous.

Polyamory (from Greek πολυ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [literally “love”]) is the desire, practice, or acceptance of having more than one loving, intimate relationship at a time with the full knowledge and consent of everyone involved. Polyamorous perspectives differ from monogamous perspectives, in that they reflect one or more partner's wish(es) to have further meaningful relationships and to accommodate these alongside their existing relationships.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
Interesting apparently someone thinks polyamory and polyandry are the same. The threads were combined.
You're right that they aren't the same, but they're related. Just as swinging and open relationships were mentioned although they aren't the same thing, either. It all ends up lumped into one big old "multiple partners" topic.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now, let's try to imagine what went on in one of those households, with a woman married to 5 husbands living under the same roof.
Great. The toilet seat would be left up five times as often.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,747,090 times
And 5 times more gas

Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 PM

5 times the fart jokes, 5 times the dishes left in hidden spots.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Source: Sex in History by Reay Tannahill

In early India, along the Malabar coast and in the foothills of the Himalayas, there was a custom of polyandry: which permitted a woman to have several husbands. In the great epic, Mahabharata, its heroine was married to five brothers from the same family.

Now, let's try to imagine what went on in one of those households, with a woman married to 5 husbands living under the same roof.

If there had been a child, who, pray tell, would have been the father? In a polygamous relationship, with a man with 5 wives, that would be quite obvious, who the father was. But in this situation?

If this practice were to be revived and accepted, do you know of any woman alive that would be attracted to a polyandrous lifestyle?
Studies of contemporary Tibetan communities in India and Nepal where polyandry is still practiced say that the mother has the final word on who the father is of any particular child. "A mother just knows", say the women. Two or three brothers are betrothed to one women in order to keep the family farmland from being split up.

Polyandry is practiced in the US, but it's hidden, because it's not socially acceptable. Some women with three "husbands" say one is the legal husband, the "renter" in the household is the second husband, and the third is usually a close neighbor. Within the group marriage, all is above-board, but the situation remains carefully hidden from outsiders.

Polyandry is still the customary practice in parts of the Amazon and the Pacific Islands. In peripheral areas of Siberia, the custom was for women to have an official husband, but she was free to mate with whomever she chose. This was considered to be in the best interests of the tribe; the woman had the right to chose whoever she felt would make a valuable genetic contribution in terms of guaranteeing strong, healthy children. Today in the far north and parts of the Pacific Coast of Siberia, it's not uncommon for siblings now in middle age to each have a different father, but the same mother. The practice was ended by the Soviet regime at some point in the mid-20th Century.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
5 times the "Honey I'm hungry"
"Honey did you do my wash?"
"I can't take out the trash, working"
"Going to be out"
"Where's my shoe?"
"I don't feel good"
"I'm cutting the grass, No I am, No I am,No I am, No I am"
"Where's the remote"

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,398 times
This sounds awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships