Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But it's also hard to not notice the disparity.
When you are outside looking in it is apparent, but from the inside I dont think it is so noticable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When you are outside looking in it is apparent, but from the inside I dont think it is so noticable.
Probably not because when you see the person everyday, you don't notice the changes. But when someone who hasn't seen you both in a while sees you, they'll see it. I ran into a couple I knew at a wedding last year. I attended their wedding nearly 15 years ago. They were about the same age and looked it. But when I saw them last year, the husband looked like he could pass for his wife's father. Overweight, too much sun, probably too much drinking and smoking, etc. His wife was very active and health-conscious. She looked like she still took good care of herself. The guy on the other hand looked like he stopped caring.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Probably not because when you see the person everyday, you don't notice the changes. But when someone who hasn't seen you both in a while sees you, they'll see it. I ran into a couple I knew at a wedding last year. I attended their wedding nearly 15 years ago. They were about the same age and looked it. But when I saw them last year, the husband looked like he could pass for his wife's father. Overweight, too much sun, probably too much drinking and smoking, etc. His wife was very active and health-conscious. She looked like she still took good care of herself. The guy on the other hand looked like he stopped caring.
Right. Often there are things you can do about it. It's lifestyle choice and how much effort you want to put into it.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
I would hope that you look toward your spouse for important things: Moral support, kindness, laughter, understanding, gentleness. Their changing looks would hopefully melt your heart because they may appear more vulnerable and you can say, I'm still with this person, and I knew her/him when.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Probably not because when you see the person everyday, you don't notice the changes. But when someone who hasn't seen you both in a while sees you, they'll see it.
Yes, but I thought your question was how would you handle the excessive changes in your mate. Obviously, it is shocking when you see a friend you havent seen for yrs. I had that exp. the other day and hope she didnt notice the "dang you sure got fat and ugly" look on my face.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, but I thought your question was how would you handle the excessive changes in your mate. Obviously, it is shocking when you see a friend you havent seen for yrs. I had that exp. the other day and hope she didnt notice the "dang you sure got fat and ugly" look on my face.
My question was about you would handle it when you became aware of those changes. You might notice those changes until someone else points them out. But the point is that now you've been made aware of them. What do you do then?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, we live in a culture where too many seem to forget their vows.
Perhaps they aren't all forgetting them. Maybe they've changed over the course of many years and now the vows aren't enough to maintain the way they felt about one another when they walked down the aisle. Have you ever been married? Getting married is a contract, and often there is fine print in a contract that isn't apparent when you sign it, and there is lot's of "fine print" buried beneath your wedding vows that won't come to the surface until years down the road. People change, priorities shift, and some couples don't have a strong enough bond to endure challenges they may face during the course of a relationship. Some marry too young, some for the wrong reasons. Sometimes the love dissolves and you don't feel the same way about a person any longer. It's a bit harsh to judge someone on the basis of breaking a vow, there is a lot more to it than what you see on the surface.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I've been with my husband for almost 30 years.

God knows we've changed over the years but who doesn't.

I don't realize how much we've changed until I look at our wedding picture. And you know what? It just doesn't matter. I married the man, not his 6 pack...now he just takes a cooler along also.
He married the woman...not the designer luggage....he likes saddlebags now.

This is why I don't understand people so hung up on looks. They just don't matter.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Perhaps they aren't all forgetting them. Maybe they've changed over the course of many years and now the vows aren't enough to maintain the way they felt about one another when they walked down the aisle. Have you ever been married? Getting married is a contract, and often there is fine print in a contract that isn't apparent when you sign it, and there is lot's of "fine print" buried beneath your wedding vows that won't come to the surface until years down the road. People change, priorities shift, and some couples don't have a strong enough bond to endure challenges they may face during the course of a relationship. Some marry too young, some for the wrong reasons. Sometimes the love dissolves and you don't feel the same way about a person any longer. It's a bit harsh to judge someone on the basis of breaking a vow, there is a lot more to it than what you see on the surface.
I don't disagree that people change making it hard to keep those vows. But why make a promise unless you're absolutely sure you can keep it? There's a reason politicians never promise to keep a balanced budget. It's because they know things can happen (war, natural disaster, etc.) that might require them to spend more than they have. Maybe the marital vows need to be conditional. "I promise to love, honor and obey...unless I decide someday that I don't want kids or you gain a bunch of weight, etc." I this is actually becoming a trend. Lawyers write such conditions into marital contracts.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
My question was about you would handle it when you became aware of those changes. You might notice those changes until someone else points them out. But the point is that now you've been made aware of them. What do you do then?
Id say, I hadnt noticed but, so and so pointed this out to me the other day and GAWD you've gotten ugly! but I love you anyway"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships