Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times

Advertisements

I had a related question, in terms of who you might be attracted to.

Would you give up your principles to get into a relationship with someone you otherwise would not have expected to?

Perhaps you don't date coworkers, or people who drink, or people who smoke pot...but you find something (maybe everything else) very appealing about a person that fits one of these "deal breakers".

I suppose that's a corollary to the question, or perhaps the subtext. Would you be willing to give up your principles "just this once" for someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,056,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you where you met or saw someone who, on paper, you would never find attractive, but in person, you did?
Yup. Wound up dating him for 8 months but after the 3rd month, I found myself not attracted to him anymore, so the relationship eventually faded out. I got caught up in that "men look sexy in uniform" type of thing.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,153,282 times
It happens to me too. Once I was visiting this one lady from church and in walks her husband. Now this guy is probably 68 or so and he walks in, I'm sitting there, we make eye contact, he does the double take and comes in and says hello to myself and my companion, NEVER taking his eyes off me. It was ELECTRIC!! Now, I have met him before, it was just one of those things. His wife is Hispanic too and she is just gorgeous! Maybe I reminded him of her when she was young I don't know and what the heck HE IS OLD, LOL! I thought to myself this is crazy. But when we were leaving and his wife annouced it, he comes right out and just looks at me. Just stood by the doorway and looked at me. It was def. very .......much a turn on. (Meanwhile he never gave a second look to my partner.)

So I can totally relate to all of you previous posters. The person can be totally NOT your "type" but they just have that certain "something".
Go figure!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,652,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Would you give up your principles to get into a relationship with someone you otherwise would not have expected to?

Perhaps you don't date coworkers, or people who drink, or people who smoke pot...but you find something (maybe everything else) very appealing about a person that fits one of these "deal breakers".

I suppose that's a corollary to the question, or perhaps the subtext. Would you be willing to give up your principles "just this once" for someone else?
I briefly dated someone who was a smoker. Normally, I would be totally turned off by someone who smokes. But she was gorgeous, we had lots in common, and got along really well. So I made an exception for her. But it didn't last long because the smoking was just too much of a turnoff.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM

44,375 posts, read 20,091,210 times
Quote:
I briefly dated someone who was a smoker. Normally, I would be totally turned off by someone who smokes. But she was gorgeous, we had lots in common, and got along really well. So I made an exception for her. But it didn't last long because the smoking was just too much of a turnoff.
I dated a smoker for about a year. Hated the smoke; loved the man.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,652,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I dated a smoker for about a year. Hated the smoke; loved the man.
Wow. A year? There's no way I could've made it that long. The smell of smoke just gets everywhere. And I do mean everywhere.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:

Couldn't do that, no matter how gorgeous she was.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,535,927 times
Still struggling with our age difference, but I've dated this one lady for about 6 weeks, who's 20 years older than me. She looks more like a famous actress than an average 65 year old walking down the street....so while I haven't committed to her (at least yet), due to the age difference....I feel lucky that she's paid attention to me like she has and if she didn't look at least 15 years younger than she actually is, I wouldn't have even dated, period, any one that much older than me,

Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I had a related question, in terms of who you might be attracted to.

I did on three occasions:

1. Gal was a smoker and aspiring actress but she looked like Audrey Hepburn with a body like Sophia Vergara. Plus, she was really fun to be with.

2. Gal was 24 years old with two kids, drank a LOT, was dumber than a bag of bricks and liked to go "clubbing". But, she looked like someone morphed Olivia Munn and Helena Christensen's face together along with stunningly green speckled eyes and placed it on the body of Edyta Slewenska of Dancing with The Stars fame. Plus, we had a LOT in common - loved martial arts, surfing, camping, etc.

3. Gal had a kid who was 5 years old. Luckily, she only had him 3 days of the week and was able to get away on vacations ALONE with me. This one was, and still is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen/met in my life.

I have to say though that gals #1 and #2 were'nt really someone I "dated". They were more like chicks I just banged who knew that nothing serious would EVER come out of it.

Gal #3 was different. I never "banged" her. I ended up marrying her. You can see her pic in my profile.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I 3. Gal had a kid who was 5 years old. Luckily, she only had him 3 days of the week and was able to get away on vacations ALONE with me. This one was, and still is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen/met in my life.

I have to say though that gals #1 and #2 were'nt really someone I "dated". They were more like chicks I just banged who knew that nothing serious would EVER come out of it.

Gal #3 was different. I never "banged" her. I ended up marrying her. You can see her pic in my profile.

In your own, sick sweet way, that is oddly touching.

I dislike red hair and freckles. Just from an aesthetic POV. So who did I marry? Yep. He wasn't my "type" physically, but he had the BRAINS I always look for. Unfortunatly he died, but he gave me my most precious gift: our daughter. (My turn to be sappy).

I don't think I've ever dated against my "principles"....although I had a few one-night-stands in my younger and wilder days that I would rather forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships