Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Girlfriend has made a statement that she doesn't understand how we could be in the car and hardly say anything to each other. Now, mind you, We are 20 minutes into a 45 minute ride, on a Saturday morning. I have the iPod playing. I will admit, I'm a big thinker when I'm driving. So, as I snap out of my thinking streak, I notice my girlfriend staring out the window. I ask her what she's thinking. She tells me she's thinking about ourlack of talking during the car ride, and car rides in general.

I don't understand this one....if you want to talk, TALK. I'm comfortable in the silence, and will slip into my thinking spells, here an there. But it bothers her. The funny thing if I am paying attention to what she's doing, and in a lot of cases she's texting her girlfriends, in her pocketbook, etc. Doing everything but talking.

Then after we discuss it, she admits that sometimes she doesn't want to say anything, or even have anything to say (We are both introverted), but she was concerned.

I don't mind talking in some respects, but I'm usually engaging to the extent that the other person is. I'm not the type that will just talk to pass time LOL.

I don't get it.

Are there other couples who have noticed this? Not that it's a problem, but I'm sure there are some introverted couples, where there is little to no talking, because there's nothing to say.

Help me out.
I'm the same way. I don't think we have to be talking all the time to get along. It's not necessarily a sign that something is wrong. Sounds like there may be some maturity and/or security issues with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
I'd find it really annoying to be with someone who was concerned about silent times!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
I had a biz partner who could. not. shut. up.

He was obviously somebody uncomfortable with silences, so he would try to fill the gaps with utterly pointless questions. You know, I don't mind a couple of questions like that as conversation starters, and I like to talk on a broad range of topics. But after being peppered with 60 questions within an hour about topics ranging from television to art to history to whatever other random thought crosses that person's mind, I always had this impulse to ram my car into a phone pole, just to get him to shut the hell up.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Silence is fine with me. I can even drive without any music on. When I am by myself, I ponder about various things. I enjoy thinking.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
Yep. I'm happy to be quiet. Put on some music, take a nap, daydream, enjoy the scenery...

Old 08-30-2009, 04:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,769 times
twenty six posts on the subject of silence. I don't get it.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
put another woman in the car, she will be happy.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Girlfriend has made a statement that she doesn't understand how we could be in the car and hardly say anything to each other. Now, mind you, We are 20 minutes into a 45 minute ride, on a Saturday morning. I have the iPod playing. I will admit, I'm a big thinker when I'm driving. So, as I snap out of my thinking streak, I notice my girlfriend staring out the window. I ask her what she's thinking. She tells me she's thinking about ourlack of talking during the car ride, and car rides in general.

I don't understand this one....if you want to talk, TALK. I'm comfortable in the silence, and will slip into my thinking spells, here an there. But it bothers her. The funny thing if I am paying attention to what she's doing, and in a lot of cases she's texting her girlfriends, in her pocketbook, etc. Doing everything but talking.

Then after we discuss it, she admits that sometimes she doesn't want to say anything, or even have anything to say (We are both introverted), but she was concerned.

I don't mind talking in some respects, but I'm usually engaging to the extent that the other person is. I'm not the type that will just talk to pass time LOL.

I don't get it.

Are there other couples who have noticed this? Not that it's a problem, but I'm sure there are some introverted couples, where there is little to no talking, because there's nothing to say.

Help me out.
I could have written this. I can't stand it when someone feels every second has to be filled with talking. I like silence. I'm comfortable with it. I'm comfortable with my thoughts and myself and with other people enough to not have to speak all the time. Sometimes I just like to enjoy being in their company, nothing more.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,237 times
I have to admit, when I am with my husband, like stuck in a car...I would feel very strange and find silence awkward.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
For me, it depends.

Generally, I have no problems with silence. I spend my working life constantly talking with people, so having some quiet time outside of work is not a problem for me.

If, however, there are things that need to be said and there's silence, then I find it extremely awkward and will do my best to try to break it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships