Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
For me, it depends.

Generally, I have no problems with silence. I spend my working life constantly talking with people, so having some quiet time outside of work is not a problem for me.

If, however, there are things that need to be said and there's silence, then I find it extremely awkward and will do my best to try to break it.
My first job in FL was working for directory assitance. It was literally a call every 20 seconds for the entire time I was working. On my break, I would literally go in the the bathroom and just sit in a stall and enjoy the "silence". It's the only way I didn't go home with a migraine every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
My first job in FL was working for directory assitance. It was literally a call every 20 seconds for the entire time I was working. On my break, I would literally go in the the bathroom and just sit in a stall and enjoy the "silence". It's the only way I didn't go home with a migraine every night.
Oh wow, I couldn't even imagine...

But I can relate to the relishing of silence.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
For me, it depends.

Generally, I have no problems with silence. I spend my working life constantly talking with people, so having some quiet time outside of work is not a problem for me.

If, however, there are things that need to be said and there's silence, then I find it extremely awkward and will do my best to try to break it.
My first job in FL was working for directory assitance. It was literally a call every 20 seconds for the entire time I was working. On my break, I would go in to the bathroom and just sit there, to enjoy the "silence". It was the only way I didn't go home every single night with a migraine.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
I don't mind it even though I would often really prefer silence. Some people hate silence as much as I love it, we're all different. And frankly, at this point, I'm just grateful when I'm around people actually talk instead of complain lol.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
To be honest. I have been in both situations.

Truthfully, I like the silence but I will listen to whomever wants to talk. I too have those thinking spells and then they wake me up with a, "Hey man? You o.k.?"

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
All that being said, I work out of the house, so I enjoy silence from 7:30 to 3:00 every day--barring phone calls and client meetings.

It's nice. But after awhile, I have to have human contact, so I'll go to the library to work.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times
Thanks everybody

I asked her again about it Saturday night, and she said in her experiences that she's used to talking during car trips. It wasn't any concern about our relationship.

There were some excellent points made in the thread, too.

Funnyman- I agree with this statement:

Truthfully, I like the silence but I will listen to whomever wants to talk. I too have those thinking spells and then they wake me up with a, "Hey man? You o.k.?"

This is exactly how I am. I might be silent, but if you want to talk, I don't mind talking. I'll engage you. Case in point- I carried a guy and his son up to an amusement park with me and my girl- it was a group of friends and their kids. My girl fell asleep, and so did the kid, but he didn't. We talked about sports and music. Now he has a reputation for not shutting up, and he fully exceeded my expectations- it was like he had a comment for almost every song that came on my iPod! Now I didn't mind, because I like discussing music and sports, but I cringed just thinking about being somewhere with this guy with no kind of diversion.......

I say that to say had he fallen asleep, I would have been fine with my thoughts on the deserted highway. But he wanted to talk, and I was fine with it.

I'm the same way with her.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I have to admit, when I am with my husband, like stuck in a car...I would feel very strange and find silence awkward.

May I ask why?

I noticed you used the word 'stuck', too. Do you not like driving with your husband?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Girlfriend has made a statement that she doesn't understand how we could be in the car and hardly say anything to each other. Now, mind you, We are 20 minutes into a 45 minute ride, on a Saturday morning. I have the iPod playing. I will admit, I'm a big thinker when I'm driving. So, as I snap out of my thinking streak, I notice my girlfriend staring out the window. I ask her what she's thinking. She tells me she's thinking about ourlack of talking during the car ride, and car rides in general.

I don't understand this one....if you want to talk, TALK. I'm comfortable in the silence, and will slip into my thinking spells, here an there. But it bothers her. The funny thing if I am paying attention to what she's doing, and in a lot of cases she's texting her girlfriends, in her pocketbook, etc. Doing everything but talking.

Then after we discuss it, she admits that sometimes she doesn't want to say anything, or even have anything to say (We are both introverted), but she was concerned.

I don't mind talking in some respects, but I'm usually engaging to the extent that the other person is. I'm not the type that will just talk to pass time LOL.

I don't get it.

Are there other couples who have noticed this? Not that it's a problem, but I'm sure there are some introverted couples, where there is little to no talking, because there's nothing to say.

Help me out.
Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating. I hate mindless banter. I think when you're able to acheive comfortable silence, thats a pretty good step forward. Tell her to zip it and stop obsessing over her own voice.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Girlfriend has made a statement that she doesn't understand how we could be in the car and hardly say anything to each other. Now, mind you, We are 20 minutes into a 45 minute ride, on a Saturday morning. I have the iPod playing. I will admit, I'm a big thinker when I'm driving. So, as I snap out of my thinking streak, I notice my girlfriend staring out the window. I ask her what she's thinking. She tells me she's thinking about ourlack of talking during the car ride, and car rides in general.

I don't understand this one....if you want to talk, TALK. I'm comfortable in the silence, and will slip into my thinking spells, here an there. But it bothers her. The funny thing if I am paying attention to what she's doing, and in a lot of cases she's texting her girlfriends, in her pocketbook, etc. Doing everything but talking.

Then after we discuss it, she admits that sometimes she doesn't want to say anything, or even have anything to say (We are both introverted), but she was concerned.

I don't mind talking in some respects, but I'm usually engaging to the extent that the other person is. I'm not the type that will just talk to pass time LOL.

I don't get it.

Are there other couples who have noticed this? Not that it's a problem, but I'm sure there are some introverted couples, where there is little to no talking, because there's nothing to say.

Help me out.
Not currently dating anyone right now but in the past I'm the same way unless it's the first few dates or whatever. When I'm driving in my truck, I like for the music to be playing and I like going into my own world. I love just cruising and listening to jam. It's irritating when someone has to talk just to be talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships