Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,671,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Lots of American women let themselves get fat and unnattractive. And they act like it's no big deal and we men should not care.

Well. It is a big deal and we do care.

Same thing gos for us men. We need to stay in shape and stay looking good. And if we don't we deserve to get called out on it and should do somethign about it.

These days people just don;t take care of themselves. And it's become normal.
True - however, you have to approach someone on this as you would want to be approached. . if you are a man - imagine you have 10x more the sensitivity to it than you really have. Not all women are quite so touchy about hearing such a thing - but. . it covers your arse in case you are with the one that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericz123 View Post
btw if anyone has anything positive or supportive to add that would be great..

The problem is you haven't shared with us what was behind you saying what you said and exactly how you did say it - care to elaborate?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,083,540 times
There is so much political correctness in this thread.

Whatever happened to just being real and honest? Without walking on eggshells with every word?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
If I was her, I would go out and sleep with another man just to get back at you. Why? Why would I do something so 'low' and self-destructive'?

Because the other guy would make me feel more attractive. If I made myself look better, it'd be because you told me to. That you werent happy with me. Thats even more degrading than sleeping with someone to get back at you.

P.S. 'you' being any guy. Not trying to make you look like a villian by no means.
It all goes back to the famous Marilyn Monroe saying:

"If you cannot accept me at my worst, you do not deserve me at my best."

Positive reinforcement.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM

295 posts, read 840,093 times
Why don't you apologize? Tell her you're sorry for your words making her feel that way (not for the way she interpreted your words; huge difference) and discuss the issue. She's might have gained weight because she's unhappy and is using food as comfort. Talk to her about why she's unhappy.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,731,108 times
Quote:

Whatever happened to just being real and honest? Without walking on eggshells with every word?
You apparently have never been married huh?
There is nothing wrong with honesty. Thats what I was trying to say awhile back. You just don`t like, blurt it out one night, because your sick and tired of holding it in, and tell her exactly how you feel. You work with her, somehow.....not just tell her...geezzz- usssss....

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
There is so much political correctness in this thread.

Peoples feelings have nothing with political correctness. Whoever thinks saying, "Hey, you're fat/getting fat/ugly now," is the right way to approach a situation with any human being - it is ONLY if you are only concerned only about your own feelings and have not taken someone elses into consideration. It's called selfishness - it's all in the approach.

You can be real, honest - and have tact. Sometimes being real and honest is perceived as an attack without it.

Signed,
The Queen of Raw

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM

From the sound of this thread, it sounds like she was actually getting fat.

The OP said that he "got her a gym membership". This would lead me to believe that she was not excercising before.

To me, if you let yourself gain a lot of weight and you REALLY do let yourself get unnattractive, you basically are hurting your spouse. You should stay attractive, even if you are married.

I can't believe you all are attacking the OP. What about his wife who gained a bunch of weight on him??? Who cares if he was a bit rude or blunt about it, that's small potatoes. He's the poor guy who has a wife that is ballooning up on him.

Ladies, imagine if you married a guy who was in shape, and he let himself get fat.....

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
It all goes back to the famous Marilyn Monroe saying:

"If you cannot accept me at my worst, you do not deserve me at my best."

Positive reinforcement.
EXACTLY. When you love someone you want to take their feelings and ego into consideration when you share information with them - it's what people do for one another in a loving relationship.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM

I agree. There is a proper way to say things, and he should have just said it from the very beginning in a nice way. Instead of waiting and letting it get out of control. ou should have an open line of communication.

If you can't even tell your spouse that she is gaining weight, what kind of a relationship is that? Better to begin the relationship with honesty, and respect too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships