Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you are single or married?
Single and never been married. 87 34.39%
Single and divorce now. 41 16.21%
Single and a widower now. 4 1.58%
Married now. 121 47.83%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Looks like you're an exception to the rule, from what I've been told, since you were 38 and had no prior kids or marriages. I assume your husband had no prior history as well.

LOL true, it's not easy to find the right spouse.

True, there are hospital and financial decisions that my coworker and his long-term g/f couldn't make for each other. But who knows, maybe they listed beneficiaries and executors (or whatever it's called) as each other.
My husband had been married previously, and has two children. One was grown and married with children of her own, and the other was 13 when we married. I didn't consider it baggage, though. When I think of baggage, I think of emotional baggage - and that was never an issue with us. Sure, there was child support, but that's over with now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
My husband had been married previously, and has two children. One was grown and married with children of her own, and the other was 13 when we married. I didn't consider it baggage, though. When I think of baggage, I think of emotional baggage - and that was never an issue with us. Sure, there was child support, but that's over with now.
I see, so for you it wasn't an issue. I, myself, would find it tough to marry someone that had a prior history. And I know the longer I wait, the harder it will be to find a never-married woman w/o kids. But I won't let that be a compelling reason to rush into marriage.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Default Not struggling with divorce

Quote:
Wow, 8 years later and it's still that rough?! Sorry to hear that.
I should have put "financially I am struggling."

Emotionally, I am glad to be out of the marriage. I don't regret the divorce. We weren't compatible.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:33 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Quote:
I see, so for you it wasn't an issue. I, myself, would find it tough to marry someone that had a prior history. And I know the longer I wait, the harder it will be to find a never-married woman w/o kids. But I won't let that be a compelling reason to rush into marriage.
Beowulf, we all have prior histories......some of our histories are more evident than other since they're wearing Gap for Kids (or in my case, Joseph A Banks suits!) ...but you have a history, too. It may not be a child, but you DO have a history. Maybe you can keep it hidden, maybe not. Maybe it's something a woman wouldn't find attractive if she "saw", but you can hide it under a bushel basket.....we that have had children can't twitch our nose and make our history go away long enough to meet Mr. Right...and when we meet him, he has to accept that we had another life before him. I know my husband certainly had another life before me even though he hadn't been married.....just because his other life doesn't walk upright, breathe and eat doesn't mean it wasn't there!

Look at it this way - if my husband hadn't been able to look past my two histories (whom he conveniently got to put through college and law school), he wouldn't have the AWESOME wife he has now!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
I agree that it shouldn't be a compelling reason to rush into marriage. At the same time, to completely rule out anyone who has been married before, and/or had kids, might make you miss out on an absolutely fabulous relationship.

I'm not saying it's easy, but with the right person, it's absolutely worth it. There have been times where it hasn't been easy for us, but I wouldn't trade a minute of my time with him for anything in the world. Please know that I'm not here to criticize your decision - rather, I'm suggesting that keeping a little bit of an open mind might reward you greatly.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I plead the 5th.......

Old 09-02-2007, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 54,296 times
married 5 years in january

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
I am not in any hurry to marry, nor do I think I need to remarry but dating would be nice.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times
Dear God:

Dating WOULD be nice... Please hear my prayer...

*wink*

Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 PM

115 posts, read 471,528 times
I am married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships