Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

This came from the article in the "Finally" thread.

There are people who expect too much and risk being alone. There are also people who think anyone with a preference expects too much. I'm hoping we can TRY and stay away from these toxic extremes and go the rational route, though, those who think this way are welcome to answer these questions.

The statement itself, if pulled away from that particular article, is not an unreasonable one (except for the misuse of "ideal" GRRRR! ). Let's think about it, why would anyone date someone who is not their idea of Mr./Mrs. Perfect? Who is more qualified to decide who is perfect in your world?

So, I ax yaz. Do YOU feel you deserve to be with that person? Why?

Would you consider dating someone who is someone else's idea of perfect? Why or why not?

How many of you have been told that you "should" date outside of your preferences? Who do you think that serves to please or benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
I guess it depends on our limits to what personal preference is.There have been a few times I met somebody that was not what I typically like but they had something that drew me to them anyway.

But then again they didn't have enough for me to commit to them after a while either so I guess my preferences still mattered?

So the answer is I guess sure I'll share time to a extent...

But I guess that is the difference between those that go for a "right now" and those that think they are compromising their morals or rules if they do so....

Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
There has yet to be a perfect marriage. A big part of loving somebody is loving them for who they are. If we all had a perfect match then what would it say about us because we really sacrificed nothing and were not open to another person's flaws.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
There has yet to be a perfect marriage. A big part of loving somebody is loving them for who they are. If we all had a perfect match then what would it say about us because we really sacrificed nothing and were not open to another person's flaws.
Everyone has flaws, everyone. Saying someone is perfect for you doesn't mean they are perfect, or that they don't have flaws. We are open to them, every day, we don't have a choice. In looking for a "perfect" mate, we are choosing which flaws are more acceptable than others and how many we are willing to live with.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
The joke goes...I met Miss Right. I didn't realize at the time that her first name was "Always".

Everyone has flaws, I agree, but if a person doesn't fit into to most of your desired characteristics in a partner, you are likely to be unhappy with that partner.

For example, if I'm perfect for you except that I don't like to go out dancing, that part of you is going to be frustrated with me--since I don't and won't dance.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
If she's already decided on what or who is perfect for her then I'd venture to guess she's going to end up sharing a lot of time with herself!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The joke goes...I met Miss Right. I didn't realize at the time that her first name was "Always".
Now THAT'S funnay.

Quote:
Everyone has flaws, I agree, but if a person doesn't fit into to most of your desired characteristics in a partner, you are likely to be unhappy with that partner.

For example, if I'm perfect for you except that I don't like to go out dancing, that part of you is going to be frustrated with me--since I don't and won't dance.
Now, now. I am talking about being rational here. Someone who wouldn't be with you because you fail to meet one of their preferred characteristics is not rational. But, do you really think turning someone away because they don't fit most of your preferred characteristics is unreasonable? Not all, most. What would be reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If she's already decided on what or who is perfect for her then I'd venture to guess she's going to end up sharing a lot of time with herself!
Who is "she"?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Who is "she"?
The woman who you quoted in your post's headline. Who else?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This came from the article in the "Finally" thread.

There are people who expect too much and risk being alone. There are also people who think anyone with a preference expects too much. I'm hoping we can TRY and stay away from these toxic extremes and go the rational route, though, those who think this way are welcome to answer these questions.

The statement itself, if pulled away from that particular article, is not an unreasonable one (except for the misuse of "ideal" GRRRR! ). Let's think about it, why would anyone date someone who is not their idea of Mr./Mrs. Perfect? Who is more qualified to decide who is perfect in your world?

So, I ax yaz. Do YOU feel you deserve to be with that person? Why?

Would you consider dating someone who is someone else's idea of perfect? Why or why not?

How many of you have been told that you "should" date outside of your preferences? Who do you think that serves to please or benefit?
If I made a list of all the exact perfect things that I would want in a man, hell, he'd be about 5 different men. Nah, no way would I try and wait for "Mr. Perfect". I date outside of my "preferences" all the time. Preferences are different than dealbreakers.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The woman who you quoted in your post's headline. Who else?
My point was to move away from the article and the extremes. But since we're here, again, who is this woman? What is her idea of Mr. Perfect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships