Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,541 times

Advertisements

...and a life of financial abundance but very little love, what would you choose?

This is a description of my life right now at the crossroads. Do I go back to New York City at the end of the semester, where I have no problem finding work or making money, but have had a tough time finding love or close friends. Do I remain in Madison where I have no problem in the love/close friendship department but find myself always struggling financially?

Help. I have to make a decision soon. My leave of absence (for my job in NYC) ends in December. My job prospects look bleak here in Madison, but after being back here for only a month, for the first time in a long time I feel like I have a chance to have a solid social life and love life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,016,337 times
I don't think the post title aptly describes your situation. You don't know what the future holds, so nothing, at this point, is "for life". If you are young, I'd go grab me a good job first, in a heartbeat. Love will come later.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
put youself in the position that years down the line, you are lying on your deathbed, breathing your last.

would you rather alone, and be surrounded by all the money you made, or surrounded by people you love, and love you ?

then ask the question again.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think the post title aptly describes your situation. You don't know what the future holds, so nothing, at this point, is "for life". If you are young, I'd go grab me a good job first, in a heartbeat. Love will come later.
Thanks, ChessieMom. But I am no Spring chicken, as they used to say. I am forty-seven. You are still right though: Nothing is "for life," and love can come to us from anywhere at anytime. Still, I can't help but notice that love comes to me more easily and naturally here in Madison. My fear is that if I move back to New York City, I will have chosen a dry loveless life with money however in abundance.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I agree with ChessieMom. NYC is a big place with lots of people. I'd rather have a good job and be looking for friends than have good friends and be looking for a place to live. Being broke sucks. I can endure anything as long as I have a warm place to live and food to eat. You can talk to your Madison friends on the phone or over Skype.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
put youself in the position that years down the line, you are lying on your deathbed, breathing your last.

would you rather alone, and be surrounded by all the money you made, or surrounded by people you love, and love you ?

then ask the question again.
My point exactly, bobman. Poverty scares the you-know-what out of me, even though I know how to live on a shoestring. New York City has lots of work to offer me, but I could seriously see myself dying alone in my apartment with all my bills paid and no one noticing that I have gone--except maybe my supervisors and the students I was supposed to teach that day. Scary.

Last edited by Nala8; 10-05-2009 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I typed that last response before I saw what you just said. It sounds like you do want to stay in Madison. Are there no jobs there? It seems like a single person could live pretty cheaply.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Job first

Financially struggling, and going through the hardships with the love of your life, this myth exists in story books (Aesop's fables) only

Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
...and a life of financial abundance but very little love, what would you choose?

This is a description of my life right now at the crossroads. Do I go back to New York City at the end of the semester, where I have no problem finding work or making money, but have had a tough time finding love or close friends. Do I remain in Madison where I have no problem in the love/close friendship department but find myself always struggling financially?

Help. I have to make a decision soon. My leave of absence (for my job in NYC) ends in December. My job prospects look bleak here in Madison, but after being back here for only a month, for the first time in a long time I feel like I have a chance to have a solid social life and love life.
Choice between the real deal or money? No brainer...LOVE!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
My point exactly, bobman. Poverty scares the you-know-what out of me, even though I know how to live on a shoestring. New York City has lots of work to offer me, but I could seriously see myself dying alone in my apartment with all my bills paid and no one noticing that I have gone--except maybe my supervisor and the students I was supposed to teach that day. Scary.
Why is it scary?

We all come into this world alone, and we all leave it the same way. In between is just a moment in eternity.

Compare that to your money quest, versus surrounding yourself with good souls.

You'll make the right decision for who and what you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships