Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM

323 posts, read 806,840 times

Advertisements

So I've been seeing this guy for the past few months, and things were incredible at first. It was a long-distance thing (a little under 2 hrs to start, then I got relocated for work and it became a little over 3hrs) for the first 3.5 months, and then he finished his master's and moved in with me (about 2 weeks ago). I know, I know, this was a dumbass move and we rushed into things...trust me, I know.
I'd started having second thoughts about a week or two before he moved in, b/c he was being really selfish and distant, but I never expressed these feelings b/c he had already given up his apartment and job. So now, he's been here two weeks and I just can't keep doing it. He's a great guy, but he is totally not for me. Basically, he's the rebound guy, and he is the complete and utter opposite of the guy I was dating before him...who I've come to realize recently that I am still in love with.
Now I'm stuck. The bf is living with me, and has only been there for 2 weeks, and I need to tell him that I can't be with him and that he needs to move out (by the way, the apartment and all the utilities are in my name, so there's no problem with getting him off of the lease or anything)...and I have no idea how to tell him. I do care about him, and he really is an awesome guy, he's just not right for me. I feel so guilty and am half tempted to stay with him out of guilt, but I just can't. Any advice on how to handle the situation would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
The truth as difficult as it may seem will set you free...

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,810 times
how was HE being selfish by leaving his apartment and his job? seems you were the selfish one in not realizing that he WASN'T the real deal.. time to nut up and let him ride... tell him he can stay on the couch until he finds a place, but it isn't working

Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
how was HE being selfish by leaving his apartment and his job? seems you were the selfish one in not realizing that he WASN'T the real deal.. time to nut up and let him ride... tell him he can stay on the couch until he finds a place, but it isn't working
He wasn't being selfish by leaving his apartment and job, there were other instances of it that I didn't really go into in this thread, but thank you for your advice.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Tell him just like you told us. Be reasonable and give him enough time to find a new place to live and get moved. Treat him the way you would want to be treated if the situation were reversed. Chances are he already knows things aren't working anyway.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Tell him just like you told us. Be reasonable and give him enough time to find a new place to live and get moved. Treat him the way you would want to be treated if the situation were reversed. Chances are he already knows things aren't working anyway.
This advice sounds great!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks yellowsnow and Yankeegirl. That was my plan, I just don't know how to get the words out. I know that sounds pathetic, I just hate to hurt anyone. But I know I have to. It'll hurt less now than in the future (or that's kind of my reasoning). My mom and sister are all over me to try to work it out with him b/c they love him b/c he's more financially stable than most of my previous exes (particularly the ex that I am still in love with), which is just complicating the situation. They won't even listen to me about what I want, they just keep pushing me to do what 'they think is best'. Anyway, thank you.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
Well, of course your loved ones are just looking after your best interest, financially, for future purposes, etc.. but if its not in your heart, and you know that its not right, then listen to your heart.
Nobody wants to hurt anyone intentionally, but sometimes we have to step on toes, in order to get what WE want. Unfortunetly, it sounds like he is not what you want. I don`t know an easy way for you to tell him, but I can tell you to stand up tall for what you want, and speak plain.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Well, of course your loved ones are just looking after your best interest, financially, for future purposes, etc.. but if its not in your heart, and you know that its not right, then listen to your heart.
Nobody wants to hurt anyone intentionally, but sometimes we have to step on toes, in order to get what WE want. Unfortunetly, it sounds like he is not what you want. I don`t know an easy way for you to tell him, but I can tell you to stand up tall for what you want, and speak plain.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate what you're saying. It's really what I need to hear. I know I'm doing the right thing, it's just hard for me to think it's right when the people that I love the most (my mom and sis) are so opposed to what I want.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Well I can think of a good opener:

"You know, I think we jumped into this too fast and its not working out romantically. What do you think would be the best next step for the both of us? Because I think it would be best if we went our seperate ways before any drama starts "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships