Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
I did, but not straight out of school.

In the fall of 1993, I was in 11th grade, 16 years old. There was a new guy in my Chemistry class on the first day of school...I thought he was cute, but short (cut me some slack, I was a 5'7 teenage girl and he was 5'6 at the time) and a little shy and bookish. He smiled at me and we talked a bit, he said he'd just moved here (we were in California) from Ohio. I had a boyfriend at the time, but nothing serious. For the sake of Internet Anonymity, I'll just call him Future Hubby. Future Hubby and I talked a lot because we were both outsiders in school, we had a few friends, but we were too straight-laced to hang with the cool kids, too poor to hang with the preppies, and not smart enough to hang out with the real nerds.

Time went by, and by right around Christmas break, I had broken up with the boyfriend, and Future Hubby and I still talked, a LOT. I was having some "trouble" (I'll admit, a bit faked) in Chemistry class and asked him if I could call him sometime if I had some homework questions or something. So we exchanged numbers. I knew he was shy so I thought this little move might nudge him to the next step.

To my surprise, he called ME that Saturday and asked how I was, and if we could work on our Chemistry projects together. I told him that sounded great, and he came by my house. We had a great time, no kissing or anything, but a little handholding by the end of the night. We did actually do homework though, lol.

So, next day, my best friend asked me if I liked Future Hubby. I said I did, but told her not to tell him...and of course she did. So, from then until August of 1995, right after we graduated high school, we were madly in love, and had most of our "firsts" together (well, I had kissed a guy before but that was if) if you get my drift, and it was all surprisingly good for a couple high school virgins.

So anyway, we broke up when we started college. We went to different schools and had the "well we're several hours apart and its not going to work" conversation, and broke up, and fell out of touch for a long time. I thought about him a lot, and every guy I ever dated, even the good ones, I always compared to Future Hubby. Once my parents told me that his parents were moving back to Ohio, I figured he would end up back there too (we are actually moving from Cali to Ohio now, but that's another story). It turns out he stayed in Cali since he had a post-college job already lined up, but I didn't know that at the time...this was probably in spring or summer of 1998.

Then, almost 6 years after we broke up, in March of 2001, I was getting lunch at Subway...and I heard a familiar voice behind me say "Hey, CrueRulz (of course he used my actual name)!" I turned around, and was shocked, we ended up having lunch together, talking for three hours, and well, we started seeing each other again, the spark was still as strong as it ever was. We got married in August of 2003, and three kids later, here we are!!
Bravo! It was meant to be

Congrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
I'm 3 years out of college & never had a girlfriend. Sometimes I wish I had a high school sweetheart just so I could have those memories to remember fondly. Oh, well.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I am just curious how many actually marry their HS sweetheart
No way Jose. Don't even remember if I really had a high school sweetheart lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Could have seen myself with who I was really infatuated in high school. Both higher on the academic scale, though she went through a make-over of sorts between junior and senior year (no weight loss needed), and became a lot more popular. She was going to milk that popularity in college, a different college than mine. I ran into her years later, she had a decent job and no kids, and I went out with her for a little bit of time. I realized that, despite liking the way she looked, we were two people that were never meant to be together - she didn't like my more philosophical and sardonic approach to life, and I didn't like her stuck in "sorority girl" mode. Then, I believe she has/had issues with alcohol. Her Dad's face is a road map for red capillaries. I believe she is still available today, from what I know, and wouldn't be remotely interested.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-17-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm 3 years out of college & never had a girlfriend. Sometimes I wish I had a high school sweetheart just so I could have those memories to remember fondly. Oh, well.
Don't feel bad! I was never the dating type either.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
My husband and I met at the end of our senior year so not exactly high school sweethearts (same school but it was large so we never crossed paths before that).

He went away to school, I stayed local for 2yrs. I wound up transferring to a school about 30 minutes from him (not because of the proximity but because it was the best teachers college in the state system at that time). We continued for another 3 yrs at school seeing eachother on weekends and some very occasional weeknights.

He took a few co-op positions that were long distance during those 3yrs so again, long distance.

We got engaged in our Junior year and married the Nov after we graduated.

I think being long distance for a portion of our relationship was a good thing for us. It taught us that we don't have to be attached at the hip to have a successful relationship. He has his interests, I have mine and then we have "ours".

We met 20yrs ago and will be celebrating 15yrs of marriage this November.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
I did not have a boyfriend in HS but I think this is really cute.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
No, but my brother did.

He and his wife started dating when she was 16 and he was 17. The next year, he went away to college, about an hour and a half away, and they stayed together. The year after that, she went to college, and their colleges were about two and a half hours apart. They decided that it was probably a good idea to go their separate ways, and do some dating. That only lasted about six months, and they decided they didn't really want to be with anybody else. They remained in a relationship through their early twenties, and got engaged when they were 26 and 27, after ten years (mostly) together. They got married about a year later.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

308 posts, read 446,071 times
Sort of. When my wife and I started dating I was already in college, but she was still a senior in high school. Does that count??

Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM

122 posts, read 278,705 times
My wife and I met young. We were both home schooled. Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships