Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
and talking to her? Or is it subconscious?

I find that when I'm out at social events that entail me to be dressed up and therefore show my figure, men will put there arm around my waist and pull me closer to talk to them. I don't think there are any intentions there, nor do I take offense to it, but I was just wondering if any of the men here could lend some insight to that.

If a man does that, does he tend to do that with all women? Or only women he's attracted to? Are some men conscious of that behavior...are they actually trying to get a feel for the woman's body? Or is this just a natural instinct or possibly a learned behavior where men don't even realize they're doing it?
Easy question - it's called Kino - which is essentially touching someone of the opposite sex deliberately to get them to become used to your touch, so that you can make progress towards a more sensual (physical and emotional) relationship. Yes some guys do it subconsciously (because they learned about it a long time ago, how it really works, and they make it a habit), others do it deliberately as part of a conscious seduction/pick-up artist methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Easy question - it's called Kino - which is essentially touching someone of the opposite sex deliberately to get them to become used to your touch, so that you can make progress towards a more sensual (physical and emotional) relationship. Yes some guys do it subconsciously (because they learned about it a long time ago, how it really works, and they make it a habit), others do it deliberately as part of a conscious seduction/pick-up artist methodology.
Makes sense to do with a date, not in a store to a total stranger. I'll also mention I look quite young, like a teen (especially 2-3 years ago), and most often these men are middle aged. I'm going to use that word now: CREEPY.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Makes sense to do with a date, not in a store to a total stranger. I'll also mention I look quite young, like a teen (especially 2-3 years ago), and most often these men are middle aged. I'm going to use that word now: CREEPY.
Someone else said it here already - it's a pimp move.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Someone else said it here already - it's a pimp move.
Literally a "pimp" move? I'm from the suburbs....these are more likely to be soccer dads.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
and talking to her? Or is it subconscious?

I find that when I'm out at social events that entail me to be dressed up and therefore show my figure, men will put there arm around my waist and pull me closer to talk to them. I don't think there are any intentions there, nor do I take offense to it, but I was just wondering if any of the men here could lend some insight to that.

If a man does that, does he tend to do that with all women? Or only women he's attracted to? Are some men conscious of that behavior...are they actually trying to get a feel for the woman's body? Or is this just a natural instinct or possibly a learned behavior where men don't even realize they're doing it?
That and the shoulders are the only two places I feel "safe" touching a women I'm not going out with....

Depends on the guy. I would probably do that too anyone of my female friends, but some guys only touch when they are coming onto a girl.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Literally a "pimp" move? I'm from the suburbs....these are more likely to be soccer dads.
Pimpage knows no geographical or cultural boundaries.............

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Pimpage knows no geographical or cultural boundaries.............
I highly doubt they are pimps, and I don't see myself attracting that kind of attention anyway. I just think they are creepy old dudes trying to touch young women.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
I highly doubt they are pimps, and I don't see myself attracting that kind of attention anyway. I just think they are creepy old dudes trying to touch young women.
that is EXACTLY what they are.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
When I was younger and was into the social scene, it was a common move in the crowds. Pull someone closer into you so they can hear you. It never bothered me as long as they weren't forceful and took a hint when I wanted them to back off. I guess it depends on your level of comfort with being touched. I like physical affection and as long as I don't get the creep vibe, I'm down.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
What kind of "vibe" are you putting out there that these total strangers feel they can put their hands around your waist to talk to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships