Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

I do it, but generally only to women I'm attracted to. Sorry, that nice little curve just screams "hug me" for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I don't do this to every woman, just those I know and I'm comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
It's happened a few times but the only guys that actually get away with it are family (my brother or a couple cousins). Anyone else will likely be pushed away gently with a laughable insult, hinting that they should watch who they are putting their hands on.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
My theory is hands off unless she's giving you a signal. If you are too dense to realize women do not want 'some stranger or acquaintance' pawing them then you deserve the bunch of fives you will get...

And if my husband is around, well, I feel sorry for you...

Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Some guys are more touchy-feely then others. Me personally, I would never put my arm around a woman's waist unless she was either my wife, girlfriend, or someone who I shared a mutual attraction with. I think putting your arm around a woman's waist is beyond just a friendly gesture, it's a little more intimate than that.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I say hands/arms around waist, I mean when standing side by side. I'm not referring to when you're in conversation face to face and a man pulls you closer at your waist. (That one is pretty obvious to me. )

I know for a fact that most of the men are not hitting on me, but I have noticed that it's definitely related to my appearance. If I'm dressed casually, where my clothes do not reveal my figure, then I find that it doesn't happen. If I'm dressed up and in heels, it happens all the time. And again, I don't feel these men are being inappropriate per se. I never got the feeling that they were trying to cop a feel, but yet I am aware that they have their arms around me. Sometimes I wonder if they're doing it to see what it would be like to stand alongside a "tall girl". (Sounds crazy, but I wonder if the other tall woman on these boards know what I'm talking about. )

I should clarify that I'm not just referring to strangers. I've had in-laws, friends' family members and acquaintances do this. I've always assumed it was a behavior they learned or that's how they naturally are with women, but it was never something I had witnessed within my family. This weekend just made me wonder if there was possibly more to it or at least more of an awareness than I initially thought.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
yes, men know exactly what they're doing when they do that

as a single guy, at parties, if i was interested in a woman, i would put my hand on the small of a woman's back as i was talking to her, it shows interest and the women know that

Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Total strangers don't typically put their hands on someones body in that way to talk to them. Just wondering if you were coming off a little flirty.
I am not flirty in the slightest. I'm pretty detached & lost in my head most of the time.

Plus, I am not interacting with men in that situation. It's usually that they are walking past me, and will put their hand(s) on my waist to "move me aside". It doesn't happen enough to be a huge deal, but it's mildly annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Not literally - more like, a pimp mindset - bold, assertive, chauvanistic...stupid.
Okay, well that's what I was asking

Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well friends with lots of guys and I will let you know..There is the tall girl thing, the asian girl thing, The white girl thing, the black girl thing, the chunky girl thing yadda yadda yadda...

Old 10-13-2009, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 100,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I do it, but generally only to women I'm attracted to. Sorry, that nice little curve just screams "hug me" for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I don't do this to every woman, just those I know and I'm comfortable with.
Exactly. I've never had a stranger do that to me. Just guy friends of mine who I know well and are comfortable with. I don't mind when my friends do it but if I guy I've never met before did it, I'd be taken aback a little.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
and talking to her? Or is it subconscious?

I find that when I'm out at social events that entail me to be dressed up and therefore show my figure, men will put there arm around my waist and pull me closer to talk to them. I don't think there are any intentions there, nor do I take offense to it, but I was just wondering if any of the men here could lend some insight to that.

If a man does that, does he tend to do that with all women? Or only women he's attracted to? Are some men conscious of that behavior...are they actually trying to get a feel for the woman's body? Or is this just a natural instinct or possibly a learned behavior where men don't even realize they're doing it?

For the record...there are some women you can't put your arm around their waist.

Seriously though...it's kinda borderline. You know, bursting the bubble. If a woman does that to me it's waaaaaay too uncomfortable.

Kinda like a person that talks too close. I don't like that. I have a distance I try to maintain and if they continue to move in I back away. After a while I turn and walk away.

Sorry you have men doing this to you. It's not a good thing. They know exactly what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships