Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

One recent DUI or maybe a few in the past? Yes, I think I could deal with that. It would depend on the circumstances and whether the person straightened up. Recurring DUIs? I don't know. That person would seem to be a ticking time bomb to me, and I am not typically friends with that type of person.

I know people who were killed by drunk drivers. Two little girls from my ballet school were killed many years ago by a guy high on coke, along with their father and one of their friends. I also know a man, an old friend of my dad's, who killed someone while driving drunk. Struck and killed a cyclist. The man just fell apart. Quit his job, left his family, moved out of state, became a recluse. My dad hasn't heard from him in a few years, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out he committed suicide. I just can't bear to associate with people who inflict that kind of destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:53 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Well I tend to avoid dating people who drink a lot, so it's unlikely that I would be with someone who drinks that much anyway. If it happened to a friend, I would remain friends and give moral support. Of course they would have to deal with my lecture on how they should have called me, etc. I will not bail anyone out of jail for it. My friends are aware of how I feel about drinking and driving (too many dead and disabled friends), so they wouldn't call me to bail them out anyway.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
Hard to say. I've met people who can down multiple beers and don't even seem affected. And some folks can't handle even one. Everyone's body is different and sometimes the BAC can be misleading. However, once a person has gotten a DUI, that should give them a big hint not to do it again. A series of DUIs tells me this person is a poor decision maker. Like someone said, it matters whether this was a "checkpoint DUI" or a "driving like a crazy fool" DUI. As a friend, maybe I can shrug it off a minor DUI. In a potential life partner, not so much.
The people who routinely go out and get totally wasted, proceeding to swerve around all over the road have serious problems. Plus they are extremely selfish. Never would I date someone who did that. Especially if they were repeat offenders. And I would lose respect for a friend who refused to modify this behavior.
However, there are a lot of other distractions that cause accidents, which people choose to undertake. I don't think people who received DUIs should be demonized while "texters" should be off the hook. Or how about sleepy people? I read once that driving while very sleepy is almost the same as driving drunk and can cause just as much damage.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
If you are a true friend/companion then you would stick around that person regardless of their troubles.
That's not always true. I am an extremely loyal friend, but I've had to leave a few friends behind because of their dependency issues.

My best friend was an alcoholic. I didn't know it until it was too late. Seeing him slowly destroy himself wore me down. We talked about it, he denied and got angry. At one point he got out of hand and yelled at me and pushed me. You think I should have stuck around?

Happily, he has worked really hard on himself and is doing much better.

When someone else's problems starting becoming your own, then it's time to walk. Let them know you will be there when they decide they want to make it right, but sometimes you have to cut the strings.

Oddly enough, the 15 days he spent in the pokey for his DWI is what kicked off his new life. Whoda thunk it.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,122 times
"Could you stay friends with someone who kept getting DUIs? What do you think of people who do stay friends with people that get them? What about dating someone that got DUIs?"

I would not continue to stay friends with someone who kept getting DUIs. Nor could I date someone that got DUIs. Heck I'd have a hard time dating someone that drank even moderately.

I get furious when someone has more than a couple of drinks and drives. After a couple of drinks, I don't even want to be around them.

I have no patience for alcohol.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:28 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
I could remain friends with someone who had one. And who stopped drinking and started attending AA.

Not because I'm morally better or anything else. But a DUI is a red flag. You have a problem. You made a bad decision. This is your wake up call.
So everyone who gets a DUI is an alcoholic and needs to stop drinking? That is ridiculous.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Well you do have a drinking problem if it is causing problems in your life. It really is as simple as that.

Signs of Problem Drinking

I think when you can't stop yourself from doing that you are an alcoholic. Having a problem for a longer time and with more issues does not make it any more valid than the person with a lighter load of bs from that type of behavior.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well you do have a drinking problem if it is causing problems in your life. It really is as simple as that.

Signs of Problem Drinking

I think when you can't stop yourself from doing that you are an alcoholic. Having a problem for a longer time and with more issues does not make it any more valid than the person with a lighter load of bs from that type of behavior.
Yeah well I know someone who got a DUI who drinks MAYBE once or twice a year, I certainly wouldn't classify her as an alcoholic, or as even having a problem. Got pulled over for driving too slow cuz she was paranoid after having a few drinks.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
The point about checkpoint DUIs is a good one. I've never had a blood alcohol test and would probably be surprised to find out what a .08 "felt" like.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The point about checkpoint DUIs is a good one. I've never had a blood alcohol test and would probably be surprised to find out what a .08 "felt" like.
B.A.C. charts, number of drinks:
BAC Chart for Men

http://www.alcohol.vt.edu/Students/a...ChartWomen.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships