Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 10:13 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That's cool, but I'm a child of divorce, and honestly I hated everyone that tried to date/marry both of my parents. All these years later, I'm still expected to grin and bear it.
I am also a child of divorce.

I hated my stepmother at first. But since I became a mature adult (I'd say past about 25 or so) I realized some things that got me to set that aside. And I didn't hate her because she was dating my father. I can't imagine caring what my parents do sexually or romantically, that is not my business. I hope they find happiness and healthy relationships is all. I can't imagine being mad at them for not loving each other or for wanting other people to love.

But my Stepmom came along and tried to impose the kind of "parenting structure" that she thought was proper on my feral 10 year old self. The message I had internalized was that adults were totally unreliable, childish and capricious people who could not be trusted to look after me or provide for my needs, so I had to look for ways to provide for myself. I was making my own food by the time I was 5 or 6. And by the point she came along, most of my strategy for interacting with my parents had become just...avoiding them as much as I possibly could. So imagine this woman comes along trying to tell me I had a five minute limit on showers, removing my door from my bedroom (she was obsessed with the idea I might be "touching myself" and determined to prevent that at all costs)...telling me I had to ask permission before getting anything to eat or drink from the kitchen including a glass of water, and often saying no just because I had to get used to only consuming what was given at mealtimes. Not letting me go out, demanding to know where I was all the time. Taking away my stuff and making me do chores, and do them again if they weren't done perfectly...

I hated her. I called her Hitler I hated her so much.

But you know what? She was 24 years old. I now have a son who is that age. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow. So here was this young woman, thrown into a situation with an older man who had rarely lifted a finger to do anything parental other than just yell when he was mad, and she was expected to wing it and figure it all out with my 10 year old self and my 2 year old brother. That poor woman. She was only doing what she thought was best. And I made her life hell for the handful of years until I went and lived with my Mom.

By that point though, my Mom was not the adult between the two of us, I was. She treated me not only more like a friend than a daughter, but like the cooler more attractive friend who could get away with being a jerk to her because she was just grateful if I let her hang around. I went goth and Satanist while I lived with her, and the man she ended up marrying was scared half to death of me. He believed I put a curse on him and sent bees after him. I was fine with that if it meant that he and his drinking buddies would stay away from me and leave me alone. They've been divorced a while now, and I guess he's going through the 12 steps or something, he sent me a friend request on Facebook maybe to apologize or whatever...I don't want to talk to him, so I ignored that. For a moment I was tempted to message him, "I don't want to talk to you. Leave me alone or I will send more bees!"

But I didn't hate him. My Mom's relationship choices are very "whatever" for me. And I have a lot of sympathy for my Stepmom and we get along OK these days even though she and my father have gone off the deep end with politics and we don't agree, so there are areas where we tread with care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 05:39 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

My step kids don't hate me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I hated her. I called her Hitler I hated her so much.

You know what they say, "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

((hugs)) it's all love, I give props to anyone who even attempts this in a sincere, loving, and unselfish way. The breakdown of the family is truly a nightmare, if your family wasn't a nightmare to begin with. And some children are born to single parents, never knowing what a family was or is even supposed to be. It really takes its toll on everyone, I'm certain, and it can take a lifetime to sort things out. Continued strength to all those enduring. ♥

Old 09-21-2023, 07:42 AM

880 posts, read 462,489 times
Nah, if your marrying the guy then your gonna have a very good idea of who he is by then and his kids too. You'd must've had one very shallow relationship if you didn't.

Last edited by randomx; 09-21-2023 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships