Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

It would be great to have a househusband, IF he took his job seriously and was really good at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
I'm sorry but to me it's a man's job to care for his woman. Call me old fashioned but..

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My husband sits home all day and has no motivation. Lack of ambition runs in his family.. It pisses me off but I am not going to boss a 30 yr old man around. I am at the end of my rope though.
I think this is the more typical househusband, rather than the super-nanny version some of the women here think.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM

432 posts, read 605,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'm sorry but to me it's a man's job to care for his woman. Call me old fashioned but..

... says the woman wearing a SuperMAN costume....

Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 PM

men don't like to work and not get paid....

women don't like to work and not get recognition....

Old 11-06-2009, 06:12 PM

133 posts, read 627,062 times
Would a man look down on a woman who wants to be a housewife some day? How quickly do you think that woman would kick her man's toosh when he said keeping up a house and kids wasn't a real job?

I work full time and my husband works part time to be home with the kids after school. His work at home and with our kids is priceless to me. Thank goodness he isn't a selfish douche whose ego would get in the way of what is best for his family.

I get that people are used to stay at home moms and dads who provide for their family. But when women entered the workforce it wasn't just to fetch coffee or provide a rear end to slap, some of us are quite talented and need a good support system at home just like our successful male coworkers.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
Would a man look down on a woman who wants to be a housewife some day? How quickly do you think that woman would kick her man's toosh when he said keeping up a house and kids wasn't a real job?

It seems like many women on here tend to have a double standard, and say it's real work if a woman is at home, but not real work if a man is doing it.

It just proves that feminism isn't about equal rights, it's about wanting superiority.

I wish it were like the old days. It's insane that so many women wanted careers.... Did they not understand that it was only a scam to get more taxes and grow the gov't bigger?

What good has it brought about? Two people working , giving their kids to some strangers at daycare, still not being satisfied financially?

I respect women who are housewives most the time more than women who always want to work and be out of the house during the day.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
Yes, I think more and more so today it's looked down as well. None of my successful male friends have aimed to find a housewife for a wife. It's sort of expected now that the wife would also work and that household chores are shared between the two. An exception might be made for the early child-rearing years, but that's generally assumed to be temporary.

Women seeking an MRS degree isn't exactly attractive anymore, except maybe among the failure to launch frat boys.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM

133 posts, read 627,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
It seems like many women on here tend to have a double standard, and say it's real work if a woman is at home, but not real work if a man is doing it.

It just proves that feminism isn't about equal rights, it's about wanting superiority.

I wish it were like the old days. It's insane that so many women wanted careers.... Did they not understand that it was only a scam to get more taxes and grow the gov't bigger?

What good has it brought about? Two people working , giving their kids to some strangers at daycare, still not being satisfied financially?

I respect women who are housewives most the time more than women who always want to work and be out of the house during the day.

I agree with you in that it is insane that there is a double standard with housework being OK for a woman but not a man. It's the same work and is real no matter who performs it. But that is where my agreement ends.

The point of this thread is regarding the validity of househusbands which leads to the assumption that he is married to a career woman. In that case the kids are not given to strangers at daycare (although I highly doubt any parent is giving their child to a stranger).

I missed why it is insane for a woman to want a career...again, on the topic of househusbands the man is staying home so it would be a one income family so the tax theory does not make sense.

Finally, feminism is about equal rights. People can turn it into what serves their purpose, but superiority? I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion but provided your respect for housewives over women with careers solely based on whether they have a career outside the home or not provides a good glimpse into your reasoning.

So, how do you feel about male nurses, Flight Attendants, Teachers, or Administrative Assistants? I'm curious whether you feel these roles should be filled by men or women and if women fill those roles which career choices are acceptable for a woman and which are not?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Ya` know, seriously...if I could make enough money to support our household on my income alone, and he had supper cooked, went grocery shopping, did the laundry, cleaned, and yes this includes dusting, paid the bills, and also helped our son with his homework, I just might have to think about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships