Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
you don't have to be married to do this
Quote:
There have been a lot of marriage threads so far. I used the search function.

What is the benefit for a guy to get married?

Honestly, a non-married guy can do everything that a married guy can do, but without tying the knot. Therefore what are the benefits? I see none.
How do you substantiate such a claim: a non-married guy can do everything that a married guy can do?

Does every non-married guy get regular sex, for free? (I don't know any men like that. Maybe I run with the wrong crowd.) I define regular as at least three times a week....without paying.

Does every non-married guy get help with the household duties? You know, someone to assist him with laundry, cooking, dishes, and etc. We're not talking about hiring a maid here.

Does every non-married guy have someone to listen to his complaints about work, his friends, parents, siblings and etc. consistently?

I have yet to meet a woman who would settle for a long-term non-commital arrangement. Maybe the ones willing to settle for such would not be worth my effort. I don't know. I met a fine lady at an early age and we have been married for nearly 30 years. The companionship is wonderful. I have also met many fine women who would like to be married but they tend to meet only men who want to take advantage of them.

With around 20% of the posts on this topic being your flippant dismissing of other people's reasons for marriage, I suspect that you certainly don't need companionship as long as you have an internet connection.

It is fun to hear young folks or people who have failed at relationships diss marriage.

Hahahahahaha................too funny.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Personally speaking, as a committed child-free bachelor (decided on the former before the latter), the only half-way assured benefits of being married is if he wants children. Sex, he can usually get anyway, especially because women are more attracted to men who are in a relationship. Other than that, there's no real advantage. In fact, there's a real disadvantage to even living together in some states, particularly common law marriage ones. It's even worse financially if he's in a community property state (worst of all, a state that's both a community property AND a common law marriage one).

One of may reasons why I decided marriage is simply not worth it for me.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Benefits ...

He gets an instant slave - someone to cook for him, keep the house clean, do his laundry, clean the toilets when he pees all over everything, sex slave, someone to baby his ass when he's sick ... have I left anything out?
Oh Twinkle Toes, you know that's not true... When a man gets married, he gets somebody who teaches him how to keep everything in the house in proper order... Such as - clean the dishes right away don't let them pile up, if you make a mess, clean it up before it leaves a permanent stain on the carpet, when you use the bathroom, put the toilet seat down because women cannot take a "number 1" standing up... ... among other things we have to do to accomodate a woman in our lives. - Of course being a single guy, I already know all that, except the toilet seat bit... but I can be trained..

All kidding aside, if I ever get married, I will never think of my wife as a "slave".

Old 11-13-2009, 12:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Married men live longer.
Married women are less healthy.
Who's getting the advantage from marriage?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
The question should really be "why do men keep proposing to women." There is no shortage of men constantly popping the question to us females.
LOL.. and there is no shortage of women who always say "No!"...

Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Benefits ...

He gets an instant slave - someone to cook for him, keep the house clean, do his laundry, clean the toilets when he pees all over everything, sex slave, someone to baby his ass when he's sick ... have I left anything out?
Reality!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:22 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Oh Twinkle Toes, you know that's not true... When a man gets married, he gets somebody who teaches him how to keep everything in the house in proper order... Such as - clean the dishes right away don't let them pile up, if you make a mess, clean it up before it leaves a permanent stain on the carpet, when you use the bathroom, put the toilet seat down because women cannot take a "number 1" standing up... ... among other things we have to do to accomodate a woman in our lives. - Of course being a single guy, I already know all that, except the toilet seat bit... but I can be trained..

All kidding aside, if I ever get married, I will never think of my wife as a "slave".
I took that fun away from my wife. I already knew how to do them before we met. She never got a chance to train me.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
How do you substantiate such a claim: a non-married guy can do everything that a married guy can do?

Does every non-married guy get regular sex, for free? (I don't know any men like that. Maybe I run with the wrong crowd.) I define regular as at least three times a week....without paying.

Not every MARRIED guy gets this either!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not every MARRIED guy gets this either!
And when the sex does happen, it's with the same person. Year after year after year, same person over and over. Definitely not an advantage! Variety is the spice of life.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
There have been a lot of marriage threads so far. I used the search function.

What is the benefit for a guy to get married?

Honestly, a non-married guy can do everything that a married guy can do, but without tying the knot. Therefore what are the benefits? I see none.

For the woman, I see *a lot* of benefits. For example, she could cheat on her husband with his best friend, and then her husband could file divorce, and then the wife can take him to the cleaners and keep half of everything. Even some feminist judges are throwing prenups out of court in some states. She doesn't even need to help build the total worth of the couple, but she keeps the riches. I highly doubt a man could do the same to his wife, if he was cheating on her with her best friend.

Germany seems to have an interesting solution: I know a few couples in Munich who have kids together. BUT not only are they unmarried, but they live in separate houses/apartments. The kids split the time between the two places, the family spends time together, the guy and girl sleep over in each other's place. But both partners have their space to spend it alone, with or without the kids.

Of these couples I know, all have advanced degrees and all make well above six-figures in Euros.

I don't have exact details on whether or not the couples are out cheating on each other, other than they tell me that doing it this way actually is better for their sex lives and believe it minimizes cheating.

Any opinions?

In regard to the wife taking the husband to the cleaners after she's cheated on him, you're assuming that the husband is the breadwinner. More and more women are breadwinners these days. You are also referring to a specific situation but you were trying to make a one-sided point, so be it. If the tables were turned around the husband would have just as much right to the 50/50 community property, depending on the state you live in. You do make a point, however, that if the husband cheated with the wife's best friend, perhaps people may see things differently. That's what you call a double standard.

Both my husband and I work but when he comes home, he gets to relax and chill, watch tv, play video games, what have you. When I get home, I have to worry about dinner, bills, what household chores we need to get done, and the like. Granted, he makes more money than I do and his job is more stressful but I make a decent amount and my job isn't a walk in the park.

If the lifestyle the Germans have floats your boat then no one's stopping you. IMO, people shouldn't get married b'c there is some sort of "benefit" to the marriage whether you're looking at it from a man or woman's perspective. I would've never married my husband if he asked me, "Hmm, what's the benefit to marrying you?" You marry someone, IMO, b'c you love that person, b'c you want to spend the rest of your life with that person, b'c you know there is nobody else you will love more than your S.O., b'c you know that person in your heart of hearts is "the one", b'c you just can't imagine life without that person. Marriage should be a selfless act, not a selfish one. I guess then, there is a benefit: to love and be loved. To marry someone for any other reason than that, is a lie, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships