Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Maybe he was always fat, it never bothered her. How can you know he became fat over time?
That's a good point, actually. She's fit and attractive but I guess women could be chubby chasers, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I recently met the spouse of a colleague. I was SHOCKED!!! He is fat, had bad skin and an ugly face there is no way I'd want to wake up to every morning, and he was unpleasant and coarse, to boot! The colleague is attractive, nice, and really a good person. I know she's a devoted Christian, so I'm sure that's part of the equation but I'm wondering...

How on EARTH do you remain committed when your spouse has turned into a fat, unpleasant troll??? I'm not totally superficial, LOL. I've actually fallen for homely guys at times because they had absolutely wonderful qualities. But, to me, when someone lets himself or herself get obese, that shows a lack of self-respect and respect for one's partner, too. I can overlook a lot of things if the person is kind and talented, but obesity is something I can't abide.

What's up with this and what do y'all do about it?
I agree, when someone is BOTH physically unattractive and of poor character, I wonder how they got married and stayed married. I mean, they pretty much have nothing going for them, especially if they don't exactly have a lot of money either (though I don't agree with marrying someone just for their money, I know it happens).

But I'm not sure you got to know this guy enough to really know what his character is like. Maybe he's just socially awkward and deep down, is a really great person. As for the physical qualities, or lack thereof, you never know what medical problems people may have. My husband has Crohn's Disease and during a flare up, he's put on steriods which make him gain weight like crazy and the stress of the disease itself makes his skin flake and get red bloches. I can always tell when he's not feeling well because his skin is terrible (it can happen overnight). It also effects his character too - he's not very talkative which may seem rude at times and has a shorter temper (which is very unusual because he is normally very laid back).

But the disease is not always so terrible that he can not attend social functions. I can imagine someone meeting my husband during a flare up and thinking very similar things about him/us that you have of this couple. So try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
That's a good point, actually. She's fit and attractive but I guess women could be chubby chasers, too.
Of course some are. It's a lucky thing for us all that there are a variety of tastes out there.

Personally, I make it a policy to never judge the looks of someone else's partner. Really, what's it to you?

About a year after my divorce, a woman I know offhandedly mentioned, "I never found _______ all that attractive." I thought it was one of the rudest things I've ever heard.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
I have found many times a friend's spouse does not "match" my friend. Some times love is blind, sometimes the spouse has changed but the change has not been a cause for divorce. The truth is one never knows what's up with someone else's relationship. As they say, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
I recently met the spouse of a colleague. I was SHOCKED!!! He is fat, had bad skin and an ugly face there is no way I'd want to wake up to every morning, and he was unpleasant and coarse, to boot! The colleague is attractive, nice, and really a good person. I know she's a devoted Christian, so I'm sure that's part of the equation but I'm wondering...

How on EARTH do you remain committed when your spouse has turned into a fat, unpleasant troll??? I'm not totally superficial, LOL. I've actually fallen for homely guys at times because they had absolutely wonderful qualities. But, to me, when someone lets himself or herself get obese, that shows a lack of self-respect and respect for one's partner, too. I can overlook a lot of things if the person is kind and talented, but obesity is something I can't abide.

What? He's ugly? Better get the gun and shoot it, might be one of dem alien thingys that reproduce inside your belly and then pop out and devour you.

So based on your post, all good looking guys treat women great and all ugly guys treat women like crap.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
What? He's ugly? Better get the gun and shoot it, might be one of dem alien thingys that reproduce inside your belly and then pop out and devour you.

So based on your post, all good looking guys treat women great and all ugly guys treat women like crap.
I didn't say anything remotely like that. Apparently, I touched a nerve and you went hyperbolic. Heh.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I agree, when someone is BOTH physically unattractive and of poor character, I wonder how they got married and stayed married. I mean, they pretty much have nothing going for them, especially if they don't exactly have a lot of money either (though I don't agree with marrying someone just for their money, I know it happens).

But I'm not sure you got to know this guy enough to really know what his character is like. Maybe he's just socially awkward and deep down, is a really great person. As for the physical qualities, or lack thereof, you never know what medical problems people may have. My husband has Crohn's Disease and during a flare up, he's put on steriods which make him gain weight like crazy and the stress of the disease itself makes his skin flake and get red bloches. I can always tell when he's not feeling well because his skin is terrible (it can happen overnight). It also effects his character too - he's not very talkative which may seem rude at times and has a shorter temper (which is very unusual because he is normally very laid back).

But the disease is not always so terrible that he can not attend social functions. I can imagine someone meeting my husband during a flare up and thinking very similar things about him/us that you have of this couple. So try to give people the benefit of the doubt.
I sympathize. I have SLE (Lupus) with an overlap of Crohn's so I totally understand. I don't go out and don't let anyone near me during bad flares! I'm really, really vigilant about my weight and skin because of the prednisone and Lupus. I don't want to look like I feel!!! Totally off-topic but has your hubby tried Remicade infusions? They made a huge difference for me in controlling the Crohn's. There are other infusion therapies out now, too!

The wife has never mentioned her husband having health problems. But when I met him, he didn't even say hello to me -- he just launched into questioning me about a sensitive problem I was facing. I thought that was super-rude and I was rather perturbed that she had even told him about it! Didn't leave a good impression.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
On the contrary! I have no expectations, therefore few disappointments.

But since you went with an ad hominem nasty rather than simply disagreeing with I wrote, can I take this to mean you're either one of those men who proudly displays a huge gut or married to one?! Hahahahahahahaha

Good luck to YOU!
No, just post a good picture of yourself and he'll spam you

Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeenaN View Post
What is **** to one person its a pearl to others.
Just remember: "Don't cast your pearls before swine."

Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

I'd never let them get to that point, as far as the obesity. My lifestyle revolves around fitness, and any spouse that I would have, would have the same focus. But for those people that are married for many years, well...you gotta admire them for staying committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships