Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
There's been a lot of conversation lately about where to meet good people for dating.. I decided to make a list to try to give people some ideas.. Feel free to add to it.

• Volunteer (Good if you're shy): This is one of the best ways to meet people.. Think about it, you work together with a group of people for the common good. Since you are working together, it's much easier to carry on conversations with people you've never met. I've met a lot of great people through working for Habitat for Humanity, and got quite a few dates as well.
  • Take a class (Good if you're shy): I once took a creative writing class, and I met more people there than I would have imagined. Find something that interests you, and go for it.
  • Join a group (Good if you're shy): There are clubs for everything; Photography, Gardening, Acting (both beginner and advanced), Politics, Books, Art, Dance, etc. These are all great places to meet people that share the same interests as you.
  • Find a hobby: Join a bowling league, or learn to fly airplanes. Once you find a hobby, then it's easy to find people that enjoy doing the same things as you.
  • Join a Health club or Gym: To me, this one's obvious. But, a word of caution here - when introducing yourself, don't come across as being "creepy", just be natural and let the conversation go where it will.
  • Try Yoga, Tai Chi, etc: Same as above..
  • Play a sport (Good if you're shy): I used to be in a co-ed softball legue... It was something set up by local businesses, and ended up being a major thing. Everyone was welcomed there, even if you didn't know the first thing about playing softball. There are groups all over like this. These are people who are just out to have fun, and if you're into sports, find something you enjoy and give it a go.
  • Run a marathon, ride a bike, go hiking: You get two things out of this, first, you stay healthy, second, you meet great people.
  • Through friends(Good if you're shy): So, you know someone who knows someone who knows someone.. make friends with that someone.
  • Go to Museums(Good if you're shy): This is another great place to meet people - just strike up a conversation about an interesting exhibit, or ask a question.
  • Coffee Shops: Grab a cup of java, sit down, and start talking to the person next to you. It's almost expected.
  • Cafe's, resturaunts, etc: With this one, you have to use a little caution. If there's a group of people together and they are obviously not interested in outside company, stay away. But, in a lot of these places, especially the locally owned cafe's, it's easy to strike up a conversation with the person sitting close to you.
  • Libraries/Book stores(Good if you're shy): Ask for a good book suggestion, or suggest a book, or talk about a book, or just say hi.
  • Art Galleries(Good if you're shy): Same as museums - strike up a conversation about an interesting exhibit.
  • Block parties, city events, local events, fairs, etc.: Especially in smaller towns.. these are events that are meant to draw people together. I used to love going to Shakespeare in the Park on weekends - there were always a lot of beautiful ladies there that was interested in more than a one night stand.
  • Local concerts, chamber music, etc: Sit down next to someone you don't know. When the musicians take a break, start up a conversation.
  • Community Centers(Good if you're shy): There's always something going on at these places, from classes to sports, just ask the attendant for a schedule of events.
  • The local park: Always a good place to meet people, especially if it's a large park with plenty of things to do.
  • Buy a dog: Ok, this one is kinda cheesy, but I had to throw it in here. I mean, seriously, how many women have you met that don't like dogs? This works for the women too; if a man is a dog lover, he's bound to come over and say hi.
  • Go horseback riding: I don't know what it is about this, but everytime that I've ever gone, I've always met someone.
  • Go to Wine Tastings(Good if you're shy): ...but don't drink too much! This is another one of those places where it's easy to start a conversation. Just ask for an opinion, it's that easy.
  • Join a singles group(Good if you're shy): It works, but it's not high on my priority list. The few people that I've known that have gone to these things said they usually only meet "desperate" people.. still worth a shot though.
  • Go Skydiving, hang-gliding, para-sailing, etc: For you adrenaline junkies.. You get to do something that very few people have done, meet interesting people, and have plenty of stories to share.
  • Go to seminars, conventions, etc.: I'm not talking about those Star-Trek conventions, although you can meet people at those.. I'm talking about more serious things here. I've gone to a few writing seminars and a couple writing conventions and have met decent people there. It just depends on what you're in to.
  • Join a business association: Great minds think alike, right? I've known a few people that's had luck here, although I would never do it personally.
  • High school/college reunions: Get in touch with an old flame, or make a new one.
  • Get a new job, or a part-time job(Good if you're shy): I usually don't reccomend dating people that you work with, but there are times that it's worth it. Even if you don't meet anyone really outstanding, you'll make new friends. (See, through friends)
  • Travel: Go on a cruise, meet beautiful women, put suntan lotion on them. Ok, maybe it's not quite that easy, but it is easy to meet people while you're abroad. Just remember though, these relationships are usually (very) short term.. but at least you get to see the world!
  • Cultural events(Good if you're shy): This is another one of those great places - especially if you have a strong cultural background.
  • Parent organizations, playgrounds, children's museums, etc: Face it, there's a lot of single parents out there, and most of them are good people that have just gone through rough times. Children are always easy to talk about.
  • Go to church: ...but only if you're religious. I think this one is obvious.
  • Online(Good if you're shy): Online dating has become so mainstream that it's normal to meet people from the internet. Some people have great luck with this, others don't.. either way, it's worth a try.
There are two big rules here:

1. Talk to everyone: You can meet someone anywhere you go. Just be yourself, and be friendly. I make it a rule that if someone is within five steps of me, I acknowledge them in some way - be it a simple smile or a grand "hello!". Just by acknowledging someone, it makes them feel comfortable with you, and they'll respond.
  2. Get out and do something that you love: You don't meet people by staying home and watching T.V. all night. If you want to meet someone, you have to do something. If you want to meet someone who's a good match for you, find someone that enjoys doing the same things you do - you're chances at finding a good match are much greater than if you just go places to meet people. We're not talking about one nighters here, we're talking about meeting people for serious relationships.
I wish you the best!
So many good ideas.....But tell me how do you find people in kansas, if you are from out of country (sweden)

Dont say white pages...already tried that........

Please help me find my freind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,414,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappy1 View Post
So many good ideas.....But tell me how do you find people in kansas, if you are from out of country (sweden)

Try the white pages.

Ya know, that (bad) joke was obviously a set up, and I just couldn't resist.

Alright, seriously now..

Before I moved to Chicago, I started looking online to find information about Chicago - where to eat, what there is to do, etc. etc.. By just hoping around through different websites, and asking questions, I was able to meet quite a few people.. I kept in touch with them, and finally, when I did move to Chicago, I met a couple of them in person. Well, they introduced me to a couple of their friends, and so on and so forth.. Along with that, I also did some of the things that I mentioned above, and soon had enough to throw a hurricane party.. in Chicago. That's a different story though, and I don't know how to make it PG enough for this forum.

So, I'll list a few places that I've met people for you, and hopefully this will help a little.

• Chat rooms - I've met a couple people from Yahoo chat. I went in to ask simple questions, got carried away, and ended up meeting a couple people from there..
  • Forums - like the one you're on. Just look under Kansas.
  • Websites about the area you're interested in. A lot of times, they will have smaller chat areas where you can talk to different people.
  • Dating sites. Again, not a big fan, but you can meet people in Kansas through them.
  • Actually, any online group will do.. Just jump in and start conversing.
There are also the more traditional ways of meeting people from other countries. Things such as postcard exchanges and penpals.. You can even throw in ham radio, if you really want to get technical.

There's a thousand ways to meet people, sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
  • Join a Health club or Gym: To me, this one's obvious. But, a word of caution here - when introducing yourself, don't come across as being "creepy", just be natural and let the conversation go where it will.
On an otherwise great list, I have to disagree with this one. Please don't do this. When I'm working out I do not want to be bothered, hit on or anything else. I'm sweaty, I grunting and I'm trying to keep count of reps or sets.

The only exception to this recommendation is if you are going to take one of the classes the gym offers, like yoga, where people gather in a room and mingle for a while until everyone arrives and the instructor starts the class. That's when idle chatter is acceptable and perhaps if a connection is made, numbers can be exchanged or drinks or coffee could be had afterwards.

But please, please, please do not interrupt me in the gym! Thank you!

Another great way to meet people of all walks of life (attorneys, doctors, truck drivers, computer geeks, military folks -- the whole gammut), in almost any city, on every (and I do mean every) continent in the world, is to look for the local "hashers". And no, it's got nothing to do with drugs. They like to say they're a "drinking club with a running problem," though you don't have to drink or run to participate. I am not a runner, so I always walk the "chicken trail", while my husband runs the "eagle trail". And I'm not much of a drinker, so I'm always the DD. I promise you can have an absolute blast whether you run and drink or do neither. Read all about hashing at their wiki entry, but of particular import is this:

Quote:
At a Hash, one or more members (Hares) lay a trail [which is usually marked with chalk on the sidewalk], which is then followed by the remainder of the group (the Pack or Hounds). The trail often includes false trails, short cuts, dead ends, and splits. These features are designed to keep the pack together regardless of fitness level or running speed, as front-runners are forced to slow down to find the "true" trail, allowing stragglers to catch up.

Members often describe their group as "a drinking club with a running problem," indicating that the social element of an event is as important, if not more so, than any athleticism involved. Beer remains an integral part of a Hash, though the balance between running and drinking differs between kennels, with some groups placing more focus on socializing and others on running.

Generally, Hash events are open to the public and require no reservation or membership, but some may require a small fee, referred to as hashcash, to cover the costs incurred, such as food or drink.

The end of a trail is an opportunity to socialize, have a drink and observe any traditions of the individual kennel (see Traditions). When the Hash officially ends, many members may continue socializing at an On-After or On-On-On, an event held at a nearby house, pub, or restaurant.
And here's the thing -- hashers are like a gigantic group that's a really small family, I kid you not. My husband is from Denmark and has run with both the Aarhus Hash House Harriers and the Hansestadt Hamburg Hash House Harriers, participating in hash runs in several cities throughout Europe. He was still living in Hamburg and I was in L.A. when we met, so the first time he came to visit me here, I found the local hash house and put the event on our list of things to do.

We show up, neither of us ever having been with this group of people, and as is the tradition, everyone meets in a "circle" before the run starts, and all new people introduce themselves. After my now-husband gave his hashing name and his home hash, a couple of people approached him to ask if he knew this person or that, and lo and behold, he did! So even 2 continents and an ocean apart, hashers always have things, or know people, in common. And you can always walk into any hash and feel welcomed and right at home from the start, even if you've never done it before.

On on!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
On an otherwise great list, I have to disagree with this one. Please don't do this. When I'm working out I do not want to be bothered, hit on or anything else. ...... And you can always walk into any hash and feel welcomed and right at home from the start, even if you've never done it before.
Excellent post here!

Great points about the Gym.. I pretty much thought that was common sense, but that's just me. I forget that a lot of people don't have experience with that. Thanks for pointing it out!!

As for the other, I'm curious.. I know that not every town has this, nor does every city.. but, how hard do you think it'd be to start something like this? It could become a great tradition, as well as a great way for someone with a little ambition to meet people..

Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:

Are you looking for someone you know - a specific person? If so, just type in People Finder and provide as much info as you can and see what pops up.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:

....come to think of it, I dated a girl once that was involved in something like that, but it was for guinea pigs.

I think volunteering like what you do is awesome! Same for cats, and maybe even ferrets.. but guinea pigs?

Anyway, I hear that the SPCA is always looking for volunteers as well.. That's always a good cause!

Something I might ask, how hard is it to get into that? With Habitat for Humanity, I actually went to the local college and they were able to get all of that set up pretty easily for me - I really didn't have to do anything besides show up.. It was pretty easy.
There's a rescue and foster program for almost every pet imaginable.. The rescue I work with does both dogs and cats. I think I got some sort of brochure or flyer in the mail for donations and was reading about their need for fosters so I went online and filled out an application and they'll usually come to your home to check things out.

If it's something you are interested in look in the business section of the telephone directory or yellow pages and find 'animal rescues' in your area or call a local vet and ask them what rescues are in your area for the type of animal you would want to foster.

Right now fosters are needed more than ever due to the number of people being foreclosed on and having to move to places which do not accept pets.

Here's a photo of a few of them along with my own. There were two others in the hallway play fighting and the winking dog was one of my fosters.

Last edited by Thursday007; 11-23-2009 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: add photo

Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:

Excellent post here!

Great points about the Gym.. I pretty much thought that was common sense, but that's just me. I forget that a lot of people don't have experience with that. Thanks for pointing it out!!

As for the other, I'm curious.. I know that not every town has this, nor does every city.. but, how hard do you think it'd be to start something like this? It could become a great tradition, as well as a great way for someone with a little ambition to meet people..
You're welcome. I'm glad I could provide a different perspective.

As for starting new hashes, I'll have to defer to my husband on that question, as he's the one with the longest connection to the group. But with more than 2,000 "kennels" world-wide, the odds that there's not a hash house in or near any metropolitan area in the U.S. seem relatively slim. Just going through the list of cities that there are forums for here on City-Data, I've found:

Birmingham, Alabama
Magic City Hash House Harriers (http://www.mch3.com/ - broken link)
Vulcan Hash House Harriers
Huntsville-Madison-Decatur, Alabama
Rocket $h!tty Hash House Harriers (Huntsville)
Mobile, Alabama
Gulf Coast Hash House Harriers
Anchorage, Alaska
Anchorage Hash House Harriers
North Pole, Alaska
Frozen Chosen H3
Phoenix, Arizona
Phoenix Hash House Harriers
Zonie Hash House Harriers
Tucson, Arizona
Larrikins H3
Desert Divas Hash House Harriers
Little Rock, Arkansas
Little Rock Hash House Harriers
California
There are probably at least 50 or more Hash Houses in California, so I'm not even going to try to list them.
Boulder, Colorado
Boulder Flatlander Hash House Harriers
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Colorado Springs Hashes
Denver, Colorado
Ugh, their website has a whole bunch of popups, google and click at your own risk!
Fort Collins, Colorado
Fort Collins Hash House Harriers
And it's too late for me to keep going, but I think you get the idea. Actually, here's a great resource for finding hashes in or near your town:

Find a Hash.

I'll ask my husband to post some more info tomorrow. Nighty night!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Quote:

click on this link:

Free People Search by ZabaSearch!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If it's something you are interested in look in the business section of the telephone directory or yellow pages and find 'animal rescues' in your area or call a local vet and ask them what rescues are in your area for the type of animal you would want to foster.
I'll have to do that.. I'm not a big dog person, but I'm sure there's a lot around for cats.. I just lost one about a year ago, and my other cat is sick with cancer, so I don't think that he has much longer either. I'd really rather find a cat (or two) that needs the help instead of buying another.. I've always had pets, and I couldn't imagine living without them..

There's nothing around here for animal rescue in the phone book, unless I drive a couple hours out.. But, I think that the local vets around here would have some information..

Thanks for the info. - you're amazing as always!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You're welcome. I'm glad I could provide a different perspective.

As for starting new hashes, I'll have to defer to my husband on that question, as he's the one with the longest connection to the group. But with more than 2,000 "kennels" world-wide, the odds that there's not a hash house in or near any metropolitan area in the U.S. seem relatively slim. .....
I'll ask my husband to post some more info tomorrow. Nighty night!
LOL That's awesome! I didn't mean for ya to take all that time to look all of that up, but I really appreciate it!

For where I live, there's really not a lot of things like that here. I'm always looking for ideas like that that will help bring people together. We did a "geocache" thing not too long ago, and then set up a block party - but really, those are more one time events, and nobody really has a chance to get to know one another with them..

I think that what you're talking about would have something for everyone.. It's an awesome idea! I'll have to look up some more information on it and see what I can do.. it sounds like a blast!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships