Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
it strikes me that we live in a very selfish society in these times.

to some people, EVERYTHING seems disposable.

sad, really.

I agree and I think it comes from recent decades of everything and anything being so completely available to us and at a drop of a hat. People don't appreciate what they have anymore because they aren't working as hard as they did in the 50's, the almighty dollar holds no value to most people anymore and yeah, it's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
i'm not sure actually, but probably if you analyse things, you need/use him a lot more than you think.

it might just not be in ways that he recognises.

maybe do some "role play" from time to time, and play the damsel in distress, let him be there and help, even when you don't need it, it'll at least create the illusion for him.

why not start a thread of your own ?
some folks on here give some really good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
My concern is he wants me to need him and I'm not showing I do enough. How do you do that without coming across as clinging?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
i'm not sure actually, but probably if you analyse things, you need/use him a lot more than you think.

it might just not be in ways that he recognises.

maybe do some "role play" from time to time, and play the damsel in distress, let him be there and help, even when you don't need it, it'll at least create the illusion for him.

why not start a thread of your own ?
some folks on here give some really good advice.
I'd rather hijack someone else's. I'm not good at piloting my own. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Attachment theory defines four styles of attachment:

Secure - These people like having a balance between intimacy and independence. They have a healthy self-esteem and aren't afraid to get close or let someone get close to them. At the same time, they're fully able to take care of themselves and aren't heavily dependent on someone else for their happiness.
Anxious-preoccupied - These people require a lot of closeness. Often, they end up being clingy, probably cause they have low self-esteem and need constant validation from their partners.
Dismissive-avoidant - These people value their independence to the point where it's hard to form a close attachment with anyone. They don't want to be in a position of needing someone and claim not to need relationships.
Fearful-avoidant - These people want close relationships, but have a hard time trusting others or letting them get close or opening up to others.

I think the OP is describing the third type when he talks of people who don't seem to need their partners. People who are dismissive-avoidant don't need their partner for anything, which is why they can treat them and relationships in general as disposable. But the other extreme is just as bad. If you have a partner who's with you because they need you and can't live without you, that could easily turn into clinginess. The OP asks what keeps you together if you only want each other, do you still have a sense of security knowing your SO doesn't need you, what's it like being in a relationship when you don't know that they will be there the next day, how do you know they will be there, does love have a component of need in it at all? These are all questions I would expect of someone who's anxious-preoccupied. The secure person, if they ever ask themselves these questions, would probably answer, "What keeps us together is that we both decided we're happier together than alone. I'm fully secure knowing my partner doesn't need me because I know he/she is with me because they're happier with me than they'd be without me. I don't worry about my partner not being there the next day. I'm confident they'll be there tomorrow because I think I know them well enough to know if they weren't happy with me. Love doesn't have a huge need component for me, though I can admit I need my partner for some things."

I think having a relationship based on need is unhealthy. Adults should be completely independent and be able to take care of themselves. That whole "you complete me" stuff makes me wanna vomit. Some guys like feeling needed. I fell into this trap in my 20s, getting involved with girls who needed me. It felt good to be needed, but after a while, I just resented the person for not being more self-sufficient. I also couldn't help but wonder if this person was only with me because they needed me. I'd rather be with someone who could live without me, but decided they'd be happier with me.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
I look at it this way.

I am a person with needs and I am responsible for meeting all my needs by myself. If I depend on anyone else to have my needs met, then I gave up my responsibility and put myself at risk of depending on someone else for that need.

But every person is not of that mind set where their "needs" however becomes an expectation in the relationship. When that need is not met by the person, then the relationship is in question. When the person can meet his or her own needs by himself or herself, then the relationship is in question.

Everyone change, and so the relationship change.

A relationship then is better when each person wants the relationship and puts effort towards that relationship. Rather than needing the relationship and be dependent on it and become unable to function when the relationship changes.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
I look at it this way.

I am a person with needs and I am responsible for meeting all my needs by myself. If I depend on anyone else to have my needs met, then I gave up my responsibility and put myself at risk of depending on someone else for that need.

But every person is not of that mind set where their "needs" however becomes an expectation in the relationship. When that need is not met by the person, then the relationship is in question. When the person can meet his or her own needs by himself or herself, then the relationship is in question.

A relationship then is better when each person wants the relationship and puts effort towards that relationship. Rather than needing the relationship and be dependent on it and become unable to function when the relationship changes.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
I look at it this way.

I am a person with needs and I am responsible for meeting all my needs by myself.
You can't be expected to meet all of your own needs. That's what friends and family are for.
Quote:
If I depend on anyone else to have my needs met, then I gave up my responsibility and put myself at risk of depending on someone else for that need.
Sounds like fear of losing control to me. I think that would require that you keep people at arms length. I like my intimate relations to be close enough for me to give them a big fat hug if they or I need one.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
i read a quote somewhere, it sticks in my mind it came from a ghandi, can't remember which particular one ??

immature love is when you love somebody because you need them,
mature love is needing somebody because you love them.

THAT says it all

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I look at it this way.

I am a person with needs and I am responsible for meeting all my needs by myself. If I depend on anyone else to have my needs met, then I gave up my responsibility and put myself at risk of depending on someone else for that need

So you don't "depend" on your wife for sex, or even "need" her participation?? You're fine with just doing it all yourself, so to speak???

Because I can tell you, I need my husband that way and definitely depend on him for it!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I agree and I think it comes from recent decades of everything and anything being so completely available to us and at a drop of a hat. People don't appreciate what they have anymore because they aren't working as hard as they did in the 50's, the almighty dollar holds no value to most people anymore and yeah, it's sad.
I can see where you're going with that, but I also think about the fact that we Americans work harder and longer hours than most comparable groups do. Working oneself to death does not equal appreciation. The Europeans work less and seem to enjoy life more.

Quote:
I look at it this way.

I get this. I too feel that I am responsible for meeting all my own needs. If I depend on someone else to do it for me, and I cannot function without that person, then I am not whole on my own.

Needing someone to fill a void (sexually or what have you) and wanting are two different things. I will not cease to function or exist if I lose my SO. I think that is how need is defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships