Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Money. We have let our politicians run our economy into the ground and stood idly by. The dollar buys a lot less nowadays. This generation is the first to not have a "brighter" future than their parents.

At first the problem was solved by having both the husband and wife work. Of course that caused unintended consequences. Parents had less time with the kids as now the errands and shopping, usually done by the stay at home parent, is now done after a 40 hour work week. The house work, cooking, everything done by the stay at home parent back in the day, is now done in what used to be leisure time or family time.

I don't know how parents can manage nowadays. My hats off to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
They use funny numbers. They count people who marry and divorce over and over and that eschews the numbers. Of course, you are going to get higher numbers but that doesn't mean more people are FOR divorce.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Biggest problem? We treat marriage today like we use to treat dating. Stick with it until it gets difficult and then bail out. Got kids, to damn bad, hope they get use to having to deal with two or more houses and all the different rules.

I have been married for 21 years now, and have suffered through many bad days (so has she, I can be a pain in the arse just like everyone else) but we stuck to our commitment to each other and to God and still love and enjoy each others company more today then back when we first married.

I didn't come up with this, and I can't remember who did say it, but this is the most important thing to remember:

It is right after the most difficult times that marriages change and become better, most folks never realize that because they give up during the difficult time.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,576 times
75%??? try 90 my friend, u know what half the problem is male chivalry to begin with. if we would stick together things prob wouldnt be near as bad as they are now but men still have the i have to protect the woman mentality

Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They use funny numbers. They count people who marry and divorce over and over and that eschews the numbers. Of course, you are going to get higher numbers but that doesn't mean more people are FOR divorce.
You got that right....

Larry King 8
Elizabeth Taylor 7
the Gabor sisters 20

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 AM

divorce is divorce and people who marry twice and get divorced doesnt fudge up the numbers in my view,,the numbers are just genuinely high , but marrying twice and divorcing is pretty screwed up

Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb007 View Post
divorce is divorce and people who marry twice and get divorced doesnt fudge up the numbers in my view,,the numbers are just genuinely high , but marrying twice and divorcing is pretty screwed up
Okay, so if the man or woman beats up on his/her signifigant other they should stay?? Oh and people who get beat on tend to stay and go with other beaters. (leave one to be with another)

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM

hmm howdoes that relate to what i said

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
There is a bright side to the recession. Divorce rates are dropping. People are forced to stay together because of the poor economy. The couple mentioned in the article were forced to stay together due to the husband's job loss. His wife went back to work full time and they worked their problems out.

Clip:
...While it's hard to ignore the tabloid headlines of high-profile divorces, experts say for the rest of us, the statistics show marriage in America is becoming more stable. As Americans tightened their belts and paid down credit card debt, marriage experts say the stress relief made for happier couples.
Call it the silver lining of the recession: Last year in the 44 states reporting data, the American divorce rate dropped to its lowest point in 30 years.

Recession Bright Spot? Divorce Rate Drops - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The divorce rate is so high because people BS about The Bible being their guide. All BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships