Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:44 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
YF I disagree with you. Upscale exotic dancing, despite it's sexual orientation, is a "profession". Exotic dancers are no different than the rest of the professional entertainers in Hollywood except they use sex to hold attention. Mind you, there are various ways to hold human attention.

Regardless, exotic dancers have a VERY powerful skill in which they can charm and seduce the opposite sex and I can assure you many upscale dancers are VERY professional and subscribe to some sort of regulatory agency.
Oh, I know they are very professional and conduct themselves as such. I wasn't speaking to the individuals employed in that field. I was speaking to the idea of what constitutes a profession. Anyone who is in a profession probably had to take at least one course on "What makes ____ a profession ?" I was speaking of "the professions", not meaning to denigrate any one person or group of people. Which, BTW, I don't believe I did.

And we can call anyone who gets paid for what they do a "professional ____". Seamstress, sailor, landscaper, doesn't matter. But it doesn't make the job or career "a profession".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:48 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Ok wait a second here..I leave and come back and there's 5 pages of bashing me and my line of work???

I'm going to say this for the LAST time so everyone read this and lets be done with it: I'm a dancer, and what???? My job has NOTHING to do with who I am as a person. It is a job to me and that's it. It doesn't run my life. I don't take it home with me. I have no problem admitting it because I'm not ashamed of it. I am not the typical dancer--drug addict, alcoholic, *****, white trash, lesbian, covered in tatoos, a baby mama 3-5 times over or any of the above or a combo...I'm VERY much the opposite, but of course, there is the stereotype and NONE of you have ever met me to know any different. I can GUARANTEE you that if you met me on the street you would NEVER know I was a dancer. I look exactly like a school teacher, a student or secretary with a smoking hot body. Glasses and all...I do not speak like a dancer nor do I carry myself as one. Why is it wrong of me to put my assets, outgoing personality and good looks to use??

I can bet anything that there are many people on this forum that have better jobs than me but are POS's. That I am not..

Anyways, I'll address my text message. It was not vulgar in anyway. It was suggestive and there's nothing wrong with that. If a man cannot handle a suggestive sexual text message coming from a hot woman than there is something wrong with him PERIOD. This person has continually chased me for years and trust me, he enjoyed what he got the other night because he's been blowing up my phone asking for it again. Let me add, he's been just as suggestive if not more. And trust me, I'm not desperate in anyway..There are PLENTY in line but we are good friends and I know there will be no drama or bs with this situation.

I am lucky enough to have the option to pick and choose and I WILL NOT apologize for that..

Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Oh, I know they are very professional and conduct themselves as such. I wasn't speaking to the individuals employed in that field. I was speaking to the idea of what constitutes a profession. Anyone who is in a profession probably had to take at least one course on "What makes ____ a profession ?" I was speaking of "the professions", not meaning to denigrate any one person or group of people. Which, BTW, I don't believe I did.

And we can call anyone who gets paid for what they do a "professional ____". Seamstress, sailor, landscaper, doesn't matter. But it doesn't make the job or career "a profession".
Well, I was trying to look up the word using the Oxford online but I can't seem to get it. I guess the Webster will do.

professional - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 12-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The OP is the typical person in this line of work, she craves attention, she is very dysfunctional and I totally see her manipulative tendencies and vulgar behavior, I mean, look at this thread! Yet some of you fools try to make excuses, "Oh no, it is just a profession" or "She needed money for college". What a bunch of BS. I put myself through college unloading trucks at UPS at 2 am, some of you people have absolutely no morals or values. I am sorry but if someone chooses this profession, they will have to pay the price and it says a LOT about a person's character.

You know nothing about me except I dance. It's funny that you can sit here and make these false assumptions about me. I find this funny coming from a man who was in a relationship with a woman for 6 years and always used condoms..

Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

I am lucky enough to have the option to pick and choose
Well, he has that option too. Looks like he's not choosing you at the moment. Don't worry so much about it.

NEXT!!! That's what I'd say.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Dancer, LOL.

Semantics really.

Lipstick on a pig.

Still, just a pig.

Wow Chowhound, I'm really surprised you made this comment. You have given me numerous reps in the past..Would it have made a difference if you knew I danced????

Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Way off topic.. I gotta disagree with you here, beautiful blue-skinned one. I have no problem with the OP's line of work whatsoever. But it is not a profession. A profession

1: Requires a skill based on theoretical knowledge
2: Requires an extensive period of education (typically at least three years, generally more)
3: Requires institutional training after education (i.e. medical residency, internships, etc)
4: Licenses its practitioners (Law, medicine, nursing, etc)
5: Has a code of ethics
6: Has a self-regulating body (The State boards of Medicine, State Bar Associations)
7: Requires testing of competence with periodic retesting or continuing education
8: Has a professional association
9: Has work autonomy
10: Is committed to public service and altruism

Historically, there were only three "professions": medicine, law, and divinity. In the past century we have recognized other fields as professions including engineering, veterinary medicine, nursing, pharmacy, etc.

Not to rain on anyone's parade... Anyone can and should work hard and conduct themselves in a professional manner. I bartended my way through undergrad in short-shorts and a pushup bra. But this kind of work is not a "profession".

Now as to why he didn't respond... does said FWB have another FWB?
The English language is synonymous at large. I'd never cared much for it even though I'd mastered it since 3. One of the reasons I took pains to learn French and Latin.

A profession is a job. It fetches money. Tons of jobs we have in the 21st century were unimagined of, even 100 years earlier. Profession is an evolving entity. Much like the barter system, something is done in return for money.

If I have to put my corporate rat hat on, I'd very much call it a profession. In the world of analysis, it's just entities as such. And the OP's job has every trait of a profession. Those who deny it are just prejudiced against what she does.

There is something which existed much before "English" or pan-Victorian history. The Indians invented the art of professions and divisions based on professions. There is documentation of activity from as old as 20,000 BC. Of course, people disagree with it, but documentation is documentation.

People were divided based on jobs/professions - the priests, the warriors, the merchants, the upper labourers, the lowest labourers aka sutras.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Unless you can top what you did to him last time, he's going to look for another challenge as he's already conquered you. An easy one trick pony isn't going to dazzle him.

I don't consider waiting 8 years to finally get me a "an easy one trick pony"

Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 PM

720 posts, read 1,408,322 times
LOL @ how rude people are for it being Christmas day lol.....funny damn comment about the 6 years and condoms though....

Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Profession?

Yes, it CAN be a profession. Just like a lawyer, doctor, engineer...Just because I didn't go to school and make the same money as those people do, doesn't make it any different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships