Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times

Advertisements

Maybe he is like the Magic 8 Ball. Ask again later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:05 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
When I see people lifting heavy boxes at 2 am, I'd offer a helping hand. Always have.

Morals and values also encompass "not humiliating" someone in public.
Do you want to come help me crawl 50' back through a 20" crawlspace? It's nice and dark and lots of cobwebs and broken glass and dirt on the floor. LOL.......... JK It's a b****! I didn't come up with this username for nothing.

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 12-25-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
S Today, I sent a very specific text suggesting the evening with specific details on the ending..His response was: wow.
I think it might have something to do with whatever it was you were asking him to do. He might have changed his mind and did not want to be apart of whatever "fun" you were suggesting.

Also, and with all due respect, although I'm sure you are good looking, I think your ego is getting the best of you at this moment because pretty girls do get turned down from time to time.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Maybe that's the problem. I think not all men are fond of such explicitness.
Au contraire...

Old 12-25-2009, 07:55 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,458 times
Perhaps he was expecting you to be with him Christmas Eve, and when you weren't (since you were tired and went to sleep, right?) maybe he thought you were toying with him after disappointing him? Since he is your friend too, I would encourage you to just ask him why he didn't come over to play...

Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You know I was a stiff-necked nutter in my opinion about people in that line of work.

I happened to meet a stripper in NY and I met her in the church She volunteered for one of my activities. She was so into it and I learned about her line of work long after I saw the human side of her, her religiousness and her commitment to helping others, when ironically she could not help herself a lot. And....... this can appear as the perfect paradox.

It is very much a profession. I've since shifted my stiff-neckedness at those people who create the situation for this kind of job to even exist.

Way off topic.. I gotta disagree with you here, beautiful blue-skinned one. I have no problem with the OP's line of work whatsoever. But it is not a profession. A profession

1: Requires a skill based on theoretical knowledge
2: Requires an extensive period of education (typically at least three years, generally more)
3: Requires institutional training after education (i.e. medical residency, internships, etc)
4: Licenses its practitioners (Law, medicine, nursing, etc)
5: Has a code of ethics
6: Has a self-regulating body (The State boards of Medicine, State Bar Associations)
7: Requires testing of competence with periodic retesting or continuing education
8: Has a professional association
9: Has work autonomy
10: Is committed to public service and altruism

Historically, there were only three "professions": medicine, law, and divinity. In the past century we have recognized other fields as professions including engineering, veterinary medicine, nursing, pharmacy, etc.

Not to rain on anyone's parade... Anyone can and should work hard and conduct themselves in a professional manner. I bartended my way through undergrad in short-shorts and a pushup bra. But this kind of work is not a "profession".

Now as to why he didn't respond... does said FWB have another FWB?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Way off topic.. I gotta disagree with you here, beautiful blue-skinned one. I have no problem with the OP's line of work whatsoever. But it is not a profession. A profession

2: Requires an extensive period of education (typically at least three years, generally more)
3: Requires institutional training after education (i.e. medical residency, internships, etc)
6: Has a self-regulating body (The State boards of Medicine, State Bar Associations)
7: Requires testing of competence with periodic retesting or continuing education

Historically, there were only three "professions": medicine, law, and divinity. In the past century we have recognized other fields as professions including engineering, veterinary medicine, nursing, pharmacy, etc.

Not to rain on anyone's parade... Anyone can and should work hard and conduct themselves in a professional manner. I bartended my way through undergrad in short-shorts and a pushup bra. But this kind of work is not a "profession".

Now as to why he didn't respond... does said FWB have another FWB?
Uh-huh-huh-huh-uh-huh-uh. LOL...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beavis_and_Butt-head

Old 12-25-2009, 08:22 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Yellfire, I appreciate your post on the standards for a profession.

If I was a coach in the NFL and had spent 25 years working towards that goal and 10 years in the job I believe I would say I was in a Profession. Am I missing something ?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:31 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,410 times
I think there we're talking about the issue of "professional" vs. "collegiate" or "amateur". I didn't just make these requirements up... there are several more as well. As far as I know, there is no self-regulation among NFL coaches. Perhaps there is testing of competence every Sunday (or tonight as Norv Turner is proving)... NFL coaches are not licensed.

I think it comes down to professional vs. collegiate here. Or professional vs. amateur. In which case, certainly the young lady may call herself a professional unless this is part of a college course for which she is receiving credit OR she is an amateur and is not receiving compensation.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post

YF I disagree with you. Upscale exotic dancing, despite it's sexual orientation, is a "profession". Exotic dancers are no different than the rest of the professional entertainers in Hollywood except they use sex to hold attention. Mind you, there are various ways to hold human attention.

Regardless, exotic dancers have a VERY powerful skill in which they can charm and seduce the opposite sex and I can assure you many upscale dancers are VERY professional and subscribe to some sort of regulatory agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships