Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Come to Colorado. And don't go to Sierrazona
I'm actually considering Colorado. I thought it might not be as ethnically diverse as what I was looking for, but I've been doing some research and there are some places that look to have a pretty good mix of cultural influences. i think my impression was colored by one trip I took there - all I really saw was very Anglo, Christian, private-schoolish, conservative - didn't fit my needs.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I'm actually considering Colorado. I thought it might not be as ethnically diverse as what I was looking for, but I've been doing some research and there are some places that look to have a pretty good mix of cultural influences. i think my impression was colored by one trip I took there - all I really saw was very Anglo, Christian, private-schoolish, conservative - didn't fit my needs.
Why schools? Are you aspiring to be a teacher?

You know my friends in the east coast warned me of Colorado too. They called it a "redneck" state Of course, they were being biased based on their own experiences.

But I had to move for the job and I just love it. They were right on one thing though, it's a very "white" state, but that's alright, I've always been a transplant since I got out of my country, so that had never bothered me.

But contrary to forewarnings, I have mixed very well into my surroundings. I think it's more on your own self to take the initiative and integrate yourself with the surroundings. Everybody's nice, they come and talk to me, my friends network is increasing by the week and of course I'm an active bee in my church, gym and the like. It's the best state I've ever lived in.

And I can talk endlessly for hours on a wide range of topics. That is a most welcome attribute with any given audience. Conversation making is a skill

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Eventually - perhaps 20 years from now - I hope to be teaching at the university level. I just prefer a more diverse population in general, I'm more comfortable in that type of atmosphere. I don't mind being the ethnic minority as I have been my whole life but I can easily "pass". (Picture is on my profile, accessible to friends).

I agree with the conversation-making skill as being an asset. I believe that most people's favorite subject is themselves. Ask someone about their interests, hobbies, heritage, what have you, get them talking and they will walk away thinking, "Wow, that person is a great conversationalist!" when actually they did all the talking. I interview people all day long so I'm pretty used to it. I have no problem meeting new people - I will walk right up to anyone and say "That's a great hat/ necklace, pair of antlers you have. Where did you find them?"

I think ANY place is what you make of it. But the weather here is oppressive for much of the year. I spend much of my time indoors, which is fine, but I do enjoy fitness/athletic activities and have had to be creative in that regard.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Come to Colorado. And don't go to Sierrazona
Sierrazona is just fine, thank you very much - balmy 70s!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sierrazona is just fine, thank you very much - balmy 70s!
It's FREEZING here. It was 17 when I woke up this morning, the news said it's supposed to get up to 42, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'll see when the dog has to go out

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
It's FREEZING here. It was 17 when I woke up this morning, the news said it's supposed to get up to 42, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'll see when the dog has to go out
Which Carolina are you in? I did some growing up in NC

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Eventually - perhaps 20 years from now - I hope to be teaching at the university level. I just prefer a more diverse population in general, I'm more comfortable in that type of atmosphere. I don't mind being the ethnic minority as I have been my whole life but I can easily "pass". (Picture is on my profile, accessible to friends).

I agree with the conversation-making skill as being an asset. I believe that most people's favorite subject is themselves. Ask someone about their interests, hobbies, heritage, what have you, get them talking and they will walk away thinking, "Wow, that person is a great conversationalist!" when actually they did all the talking. I interview people all day long so I'm pretty used to it. I have no problem meeting new people - I will walk right up to anyone and say "That's a great hat/ necklace, pair of antlers you have. Where did you find them?"

I think ANY place is what you make of it. But the weather here is oppressive for much of the year. I spend much of my time indoors, which is fine, but I do enjoy fitness/athletic activities and have had to be creative in that regard.
Yes, you will easily pass the Colorado ethnicity test

Me, not so much, I'm a brownie who gets the curious eye in all places. I remember the first Saturday here, I went to Panera bread to grab a sandwich for lunch. This is almost a family lounge. It was packed with a hundred people and kids.

I was the lone brownie. I was eating and I could swear every person in the lounge was checking me out, sort of the odd man out phenomenon in multiple choice questions

Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, you will easily pass the Colorado ethnicity test

Me, not so much, I'm a brownie who gets the curious eye in all places. I remember the first Saturday here, I went to Panera bread to grab a sandwich for lunch. This is almost a family lounge. It was packed with a hundred people and kids.

I was the lone brownie. I was eating and I could swear every person in the lounge was checking me out, sort of the odd man out phenomenon in multiple choice questions
LOL. That's kind of what I imagined for you there... not to say I can understand your experiences... but that was the vibe when I visited. Beautiful state though. Are there ((((whispers)))) people of African descent where you live? Please forgive, I know not the current politically appropriate term.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Which Carolina are you in? I did some growing up in NC
North!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
LOL. That's kind of what I imagined for you there... not to say I can understand your experiences... but that was the vibe when I visited. Beautiful state though. Are there ((((whispers)))) people of African descent where you live? Please forgive, I know not the current politically appropriate term.
In Denver, yeah. Denver is pretty diverse, though not as diverse as New York.

But I live in the suburbs, the mini cities which are like 15 minutes away from Denver.

I hit upon Greenwood Village for ridiculous reasons

People think I'm nuts coz this is how I chose the place. I landed in Denver and went to sleep in the room my company booked. I wikied for CO cities and hit on Greenwood Village. It had a picture which FLOORED me

It's actually here, the picture of the mountains.
Greenwood Village, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drove to Greenwood Village for the first time. And was gonna find the first apartment community. Instead my eyes fell on something more attractive, the greenwood athletic club. So I went in there and joined right away. Easily the best gym I have ever been to. After some cardio, I went about and found an apartment community like 5 minutes from the gym

Later I came to know the place was fully white and also posh, a place which the transplants avoid to cut costs. But it was already too late coz I had moved in But the people have been cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.