Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

This is the obverse of the upgrading farmboy post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Worker View Post
Actually during our marriage I have made about 75% of our combined income and I do not owe him anything financially. If we divorced, it would hurt me financially much more than him.
Doesn't make sense? Are you sure you're as intellectual as you think?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
...I don't respond to posts willy-nilly. I've been a posting contributor to CD on several of its forums for some time now
You can click onto my name on CD, get to my profile, my posts, my business website and see all. Nothing hidden at all. No games, nothing....
I responded as I did to your contributory post because it really wasn't relevant to the essence of the thread. Sorry if that bothered you. Cheers!

Um, my initial contribution had nothing whatsoever to do with you. I was not even responding to you in the post which you deem irrelevant. Why you feel the need to make a post just to point out whether it was "relevant" or not is beyond me.
With all due respect, last I looked, this was not the STTResident's Forum.

I still think it goes both ways. If it was Blue Collar expressing frustration over their White Collar partner (or any collar for that matter), still the same, just different circumstances leading up to the current dilemma.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well -- all I know, I got my degree right away, while doing blue collar work while in college, then I did white collar work, in between jobs or working 2 or 3 jobs, I did blue collar work again, now I'm doing white collar work only but would do blue collar work if I had to -- I'm not more or less intelligent when I do one kind of work or the other.

When I worked in a factory for a while, I was actually pretty surprised how many of the workers were just as smart, just as into books as others, they can talk intelligently -- sometimes more intelligently than people in college. Sometime it's just circumstances that kept them from getting a degree but sometimes I think people like to think philosophically when they're doing repetitive work with their hands.

When it comes down to it, we're a middle class society and most of us have relatives and direct ancestors who were blue collar and white collar. My grandfather was a semi blue collar worker with a third grade education who could explain vector forces better than most college physics instructors, because he learned them by doing - by playing pool.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Coincidentally, they've all been in the Capitol Beltway, DC, VA area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's not how it works. Each alias has its own ID in the database. Stranded and Lonely and this alias have the same zip code in the profiles, which was a dumb thing of the multiple-personality person to do. Weekend Traveler does not. The new personality has no friends yet, but the other two have a buddy each - a different one! But who needs all of the above... as if we can't tell the writing and the topics?!

Don't we have an in-house shrink here...?!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Here is why I can understand the OP's concern- I was going to go to law school but decided not to do it, I took the LSAT and I am very familiar with what lawyers do, the challenges, the billable hours and all the other not so pleasant aspect of this profession.

I am not a lawyer but I have a decent understanding of legal procedures, civil law, criminal law, torts and other elements associated with practicing law.

If the OP came home to me after a stressful work, she could just talk to me about her day, the challenges, the stress, the pressure and at least I would understand her

Now, picture her coming home and telling the factory worker about not being able to meet her billable hours target or trying to explain to him about a case that involved joint tortfeasors LOL. Unfortunately, the attorney profession requires a lot from you and it is hard to reach a work/life balance. For this reason, OP definitely needs someone who understands her
I think that's bull****! My daughter is a lawyer and I don't seem to have any issue following her discussions about her work. If there is a term I don't recognize, I ask her what it is and she gives me a brief description. Ding, ding, ding...what's the problem?

My husband works in a factory...he is white collar...management. Lots of times he comes home and talks about the machinery that broke down that day and the issues surrounding it. I'm also capable of understanding the gist of what he is saying. I guess what I'm working up to is asking you "why do you think one has to work in a particular field in order to understand the gist of it?"

Corrected for spelling...apparently we have spelling police on the board!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I think that's bull****! My daughter is a lawyer and I don't seem to have any issue following her discussions about her work. If there is a term I don't recognize, I ask her what it is and she gives me a brief description. Ding, ding, ding...what's the problem?

My husband works in a factory...he is white collar...management. Lots of times he comes home and talks about the machinery that broke down that day and the issues surrounding it. I'm also capable of understanding the jest of what he is saying. I guess what I'm working up to is asking you "why do you think one has to work in a particular field in order to understand the jest of it?"
Perhaps it isn't that they don't understand, but they have absolutely no interest in what the other person is talking about. Believe me, that can happen whether you're a blue or white collar worker, or married to the opposite. I know someone that is constantly telling her husband she doesn't want to hear about the technical parts of his job, because she has no clue what he's talking about. He wouldn't have a clue about her job either. But they think alike in regards to other parts of their lives, such as values and finances. And if they had them, kids.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 12-29-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Coincidentally, they've all been in the Capitol Beltway, DC, VA area.
Apparently there's not enough to do in that area, that the OP feels it necessary to spend time signing up for new usernames and coming up with bogus stories. Oh what a life it must be ....

Did you notice that each time he/she is called out on a thread, he/she completely ignores it? Doesn't even try to say "hey, I'm telling the truth, here!"?

And my personal favorite - he/she steps in every now and again to add a couple more morsels to further fan the flames between posters. Very typical troll behavior. Sadly, though....it seems to get the results he/she seeks.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Perhaps it isn't that they don't understand, but they have absolutely no interest in what the other person is talking about. Believe me, that can happen whether or not you're a blue or white collar worker, or married to the opposite. I know someone that is constantly telling her husband she doesn't want to hear about the technical parts of his job, because she has no clue what he's talking about. He wouldn't have a clue about her job either. But they think alike in regards to other parts of their lives, such as values and finances. And if they had them, kids.
Well...that's a different story if they just don't care about what the other person is doing. Ya know...marriage is hard work...it takes some effort to keep the spark alive.

So many people on this thread have mentioned "happiness"...saying that "if you're not happy...blah, blah, blah"...ya know...happiness is a fleeting emotion. It tends to come and go over time. If one is merely in pursuit of it, they can be all over the map trying to find that elusive "happiness" that keeps changing places.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Apparently there's not enough to do in that area, that the OP feels it necessary to spend time signing up for new usernames and coming up with bogus stories. Oh what a life it must be ....

Did you notice that each time he/she is called out on a thread, he/she completely ignores it? Doesn't even try to say "hey, I'm telling the truth, here!"?

And my personal favorite - he/she steps in every now and again to add a couple more morsels to further fan the flames between posters. Very typical troll behavior. Sadly, though....it seems to get the results he/she seeks.
What would get into someones head to sign up with multiple usernames and tell the same type of stories.

I guess I'm naive, cause it wouldn't even begin to occur to me to do that. I foolishly assume most people are decent and honest, as opposed to this troll like behavior.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships