Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Middle Eastern thing makes me nervous. I thought "Not Without my Daughter" was a scary movie and then I've met 3 women with experiences, while not as extreme, they were bad.... just statistically you have a better chance with someone with more similarities to you than differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My wife and I work as a team and the Middle East men have a lot of difficulty dealing with a women. I'm sure they are not all this way but the ME men I've seen really do believe a woman is lower (maybe not the right word) in status than a man.

It's just a cultural thing but I believe a strong willed US woman would have trouble with the expectations of the culture and his family.

Not so much a language problem but a cultural issue.
The old school ME men are like that. As a youngster my parents moved around a lot, and for a while we lived in the Middle East and from my memory and from what my parents told me is that the younger men [under 30] were far more open minded than their older generations - sort of like over here. Or perhaps we just happened to meet the good men over there.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
This really isn't about him being Middle Eastern; it's about him being a foreigner with a language barrier. I personally find these men to be attractive on various levels, especially as it applies to family. As with many cutures, some are overbearing, but that makes itself known fairly quickly.

Taking into consideration different customs, mannerisms, habits and, of course, the language barrier, some things just can't be overcome. In his case, there was a serious breakdown in communication. It wasn't something I could see myself working with long term.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This really isn't about him being Middle Eastern; it's about him being a foreigner with a language barrier. I personally find these men to be attractive on various levels, especially as it applies to family.
Oh, yeah, they can be attractive on many levels, buy being married to them isn't one of them.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:43 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I was just thinking back to when I was still doing the online dating thing. I received a lot of responses from Middle Eastern men. There was one man who was very nice, gentlemanly, good looking - an all around catch. But he had challenges with comprehension. We literally had 3 misunderstandings within a week of meeting because of this. I decided to pass.

Have you been in a relationship with a foreigner and was this an issue for you? Would you have the patience to work with it?
Yeah on the relationship with a foreigner and yeah language can be an issue, but it can be a good issue. Especially in the first stages when u r trying to learn each other. Listening, I mean really listening is something both parties have to do. However if u having adverse misunderstanding due to language, it may not be the language as much as it is cultural differences that are much harder to overcome. U r lucky u realized it early and passed....

Old 01-02-2010, 02:51 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
language barrier can be passed if you're willing to work with the person. cultural differences, on the other hand, are more difficult to surpass. i am married to an american, speak and write english quite well, yet we do run into misunderstandings on daily basis, but we get through by explaining what we meant instead of what came out. cultural differences are a totally different. you just have to either accept how the person is, was raised, and not expect them to change just because you don't like it.
as far as meeting foreign men/women online, if i were you, i'd pass.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I've experienced this on a lesser level. He's very intelligent and has a great grasp on the English language, but the slang kills him. Some of the things he's said makes me go "UMMMM." lol. It's been a great lesson for me, though, to ask before reacting.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
I honestly wonder...Guys who do the mail order bride thing...Is a language barrier a positive or negative thing?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I honestly wonder...Guys who do the mail order bride thing...Is a language barrier a positive or negative thing?
It's very positive as far as communicating with the in-laws goes! I'm sure Mrstewart would appreciate a foreign MIL!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I don't think any of the guys on here are going to admit to having a mail order bride. Not saying that none of them have one, but I don't think they'd admit it. Or call it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships