Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I can only hope for the day that all women no matter where they live have the freedom and respect they deserve.
I think that's a pretty big problem for everybody as it bleeds into the west, however un/misinformed we may be. With globalization, the media, and our views of the middle east, there's no way feminism is going to slip anybody's mind. Frankly, this whole conversation has little to do with feminism, really. I suspect a majority of those participating in the arguing support women's rights and freedom. What folk do not support is abuse, and I'm with them on that.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Catherine McKinnon takes it too far--and it seems as though some are of her ilk. Not all, but some.

Just as there are still women that are more than happy to stay home, cook and clean---and that's what THEY want out of life.
People should do whatever makes them happy, providing they're not hurting anyone.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times
Quote:
If it's against her will, they ARE physical violence. Drugging someone is an attack on their person. No one has the right to put anything in my body I don't agree to.
Coming from someone who excuses psychological violence, that is quite funny.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Seeing as how the women I've dated in the past have said that they DON'T WANT KIDS, then I think I'd be justified in helping them along.
No, only she has the right to make that choice. She might change her mind, as some women do. You have no right to induce a miscarriage without her consent.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
And I have yet to do so...

Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Yup. Even women who don't embrace feminism reap the benefits of feminism. Because others fought, they have a voice, their opinions matter, they can hold down jobs and earn pay close to what men do (we're still working on this one), they can walk out of abusive relationships and find help instead of redicule....the list goes on and on and on....thanks to feminism.

I can only hope for the day that all women no matter where they live have the freedom and respsect they deserve.
Sorry but I think this is quite ridiculous. The only ones to really benefited from your brand of feminism are upper income white women. Always has been the case, always will be, it's an agenda for them, always was.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Seeing as how the women I've dated in the past have said that they DON'T WANT KIDS, then I think I'd be justified in helping them along.
Nope. It's her body. Some women who don't want kids find they don't want an abortion when they get pregnant by mistake. That is their choice. They are not held to something they said before the fact. People can and do change their minds once actually in the situation. You are only justified in doing what she wants.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
And she's already said what she wants...

I've never found myself having to act on it. I'm sure anyone carrying my child would go and have an abortion out of her own free choice.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Sorry but I think this is quite ridiculous. The only ones to really benefited from your brand of feminism are upper income white women. Always has been the case, always will be, it's an agenda for them, always was.
My brand of feminism? What is my brand?

No, all women have benefitted. We now, openly, talk about abuse and help women get out of abusive situations instead of looking the other way and treating it like a private matter. That women can hold down jobs after they're married, or, GASP, after they've had children is a major step forward. When I got pregnant with my daughter, one of the older secretaries told me that back in her day, they made her quit as soon as she was showing. I suppose that was to force dependency on her dh.

Women have many doors open to them now they did not have in my grandmother's day. Had my grandmother lived now, I can imagine she would have done something with her life besides clean my grandfather's house. I know she would ahve divorced my grandfather, that's for sure. Instead, she suffered in silence with no one to help her.

Today, women don't need husbands. That is a good thing because it takes away men's power over women. We are capable of having our own careers and paying our own bills. If you don't want to treat us well, we can leave. Choice is a good thing and all women now have choice because of feminism.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And she's already said what she wants...

I've never found myself having to act on it. I'm sure anyone carrying my child would go and have an abortion out of her own free choice.
And she has the right to change her mind. If she is pregnant and tells you she wants help aborting, by all means help her, however, if she says she doesn't want an abortion, you have to honor her wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships