Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times

Advertisements

60 percent of marriages now end in divorce. The US court system is gender biased and men are screwed 75 percent in most cases.

I have a feeling as generations go by, its going to get much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Simple, Womens lib.

At one point in time, Women were expected to stay in their marriages, despite infidelity, despite abuse, despite being treated like a slave in many cases.

Now, we don't look down at women for leaving bad marriages, so women don't feel the same threat to stay in the marriage. At one point in time, if a woman divorced her husband, she usually lost everything. Even the kids, they usually stayed with the Dad. Of course, this was due mainly because he was the only one with a job. You can't support children without a job. So then they decided to have child support and alimony.

Child support I agree with, alimony, hell no. If you decide to strike out on your own, you divide up the assests gained during the marriage, and thats it. You don't deserve any extra money, because the man isn't getting any more help at home either. Thats just the way I see it.

So in short, its the womans ease of leaving her husband that did it. Of course there are a lot of men who are leaving their wives for younger women, but thats always been the case. It just used to be that they would take a mistress, and stay married to the wife.

So what kind of society do you want to live in? The one where we turn a blind eye to bad relationships, or the one where we keep saying the family is being destroyed?

To be honest, I don't know the answer. BTW, nobody I've ever meet got a divorce from a good marriage.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Because it's a "Me, me, me" society, and nobody takes the "for better or worse, 'til death do we part seriously"

Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Simple, Womens lib.

At one point in time, Women were expected to stay in their marriages, despite infidelity, despite abuse, despite being treated like a slave in many cases.

Now, we don't look down at women for leaving bad marriages, so women don't feel the same threat to stay in the marriage. At one point in time, if a woman divorced her husband, she usually lost everything. Even the kids, they usually stayed with the Dad. Of course, this was due mainly because he was the only one with a job. You can't support children without a job. So then they decided to have child support and alimony.

Child support I agree with, alimony, hell no. If you decide to strike out on your own, you divide up the assests gained during the marriage, and thats it. You don't deserve any extra money, because the man isn't getting any more help at home either. Thats just the way I see it.

So in short, its the womans ease of leaving her husband that did it. Of course there are a lot of men who are leaving their wives for younger women, but thats always been the case. It just used to be that they would take a mistress, and stay married to the wife.

So what kind of society do you want to live in? The one where we turn a blind eye to bad relationships, or the one where we keep saying the family is being destroyed?

To be honest, I don't know the answer. BTW, nobody I've ever meet got a divorce from a good marriage.

Agreed. Also, you can add in 'quickie' marriages that usually dissolve fairly fast, religious forced marriages (of which I witnessed 3) because of pregnancy/shame on the family etc. and fake marriages that last only as long as the couple is benefiting from it. I know of a very good friend who got married to a gay man so she could get medical benefits for her multiple sclerosis.

Lots and lots of reasons, really.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM

292 posts, read 543,929 times
The divorce rate is NOT 60% of marriages. The rate is 41% after 15-20 years of marriage. Get your facts straight.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Biggest problem? We treat marriage today like we use to treat dating. Stick with it until it gets difficult and then bail out. Got kids, to damn bad, hope they get use to having to deal with two or more houses and all the different rules.

I have been married for 21 years now, and have suffered through many bad days (so has she, I can be a pain in the arse just like everyone else) but we stuck to our commitment to each other and to God and still love and enjoy each others company more today then back when we first married.

I didn't come up with this, and I can't remember who did say it, but this is the most important thing to remember:

It is right after the most difficult times that marriages change and become better, most folks never realize that because they give up during the difficult time.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Answer...

1) Liberty

2) Money ( Financial independence )

3) Marrying at very young age...

Given those facts,it is a triumph for the institution of marriage

that 60% of Amer couples stay married till death does them part...

Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Many many women live life according to a childish checklist and marry ANYONE just as long as they are married by 30. Then they talk amongst their catty friends about what a loser he is, when he is actually carrying the ball and making it happen in the worst economy of our lifetime.

Actually, men are not built for monogamy. It is not part of a man's biological makeup. The notion of long-term romantic monogamy is false. This is why we see so much "infidelity," which is actually just nature. Deal with it, women.

People get married when they are stupid children and all they want is the spotlight of a wedding, not a marriage.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
60 percent of marriages now end in divorce. The US court system is gender biased and men are screwed 75 percent in most cases.

I have a feeling as generations go by, its going to get much worse.
Why is the divorce rate so high in America?

Too many marriages.....................

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Hmmm....well I read here daily that the majority of Americans are Christians. So would it be logical to conclude that the majority in this country are currently ruining the "institute of marriage"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships