Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did say this. A child should have TWO parents, not just one. If I'm not able to provide that, it's best for the child that I find it a matched set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, I did say this. A child should have TWO parents, not just one. If I'm not able to provide that, it's best for the child that I find it a matched set.
No disrespect TK, and I do agree every child DESERVES two loving parents, but you are SERIOUSLY clueless if you really think just putting your kids into foster care would be the right thing for a single parent to do. SERIOUSLY CLUELESS.

First of all, the abandonment issues your kids would face for the rest of their lives would cause them HUGE emotional issues, trust issues and attachment issues. Second of all, do you really have no idea how truly bad most foster care placements are in this country??? Sure, there are good foster parents out there - but they are in the minority - and I would never put my child into a government run system like that on purpose - never.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM

The child would be provided for much better than I could do by myself.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
In TK's defense, he doesn't have children, so he does not know the emotional bond one has with their children.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM

^Nor want them...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM

174 posts, read 374,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
PS...you described the husband as kindly, good, and decent. Maybe so. But did you not watch how she was basically invisible in his eyes?
Personally, I think Francesca's husband was clueless, so he didn't understand why Francesca had spent the rest of that day crying. He was basically one of those dull but descent husbands who don't understand women. Yes, she was probably invisible to him, like he took her for granted. But in the end, he realizes that he couldn't make her happy, and he appoligizes on his deathbed. Don't you find it peculiar and odd that Francesca describes his husband to Robert as 'clean'?

But that scene in the rain when both trucks are sitting at the red light was one of the saddest I've ever seen in the movies. Robert reaches over to unlock the door for Francesca so she can run over and get in. When they finally proceed again, her hand slips away from the handle and she sinks down in despair.

Last edited by Kenneth70; 01-21-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM

174 posts, read 374,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
How has a woman's being able to be financially self sufficient caused human relationships to go downhill, and created broken families? I find that remark rather offensive.

There are MANY women, all over the world, who suffer abuse from their husbands, yet stay with them, b/c they can't afford to leave. No one, man nor woman, should HAVE to stay in any relationship, b/c they don't have the financial wherewithall to leave. Finally, women are able to support themselves, and don't HAVE to put up with anything they don't want to anymore. And THAT, is what makes a marriage/relationship more balanced.

If a man knows that his wife won't turn a blind eye to his cheating, his abuse, whatever, b/c she can get up and walk out the door and take care of herself, maybe he will respect her a little more, and not take advantage of her, and have an equal partner instead of someone who he can lord over.
You and my mom would make very good friends. Neither my sister and I have kids, so she's going to have to settle for not being a grandmother. Meanwhile, her irresponsible financial habits have her on the brink of bankruptcy. In the 30 years since her divorce, she never had another relationship. She's very independent, doesn't care for men, and is an obsessive collector (clutter). Now, I am on the verge of supporting her; she just completed her masters degree, is 67, and unemployed. If I am wise and careful, I will keep my full-time job so that I can support her.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
REAL doesn't sell. I wanted to see this new movie Precious and was surprised the nearest theater wasn’t showing it, even though it’s one of the theaters where all new movies open at the same time. They might’ve chosen not to get it at all.

You have my blessings for drowning whomever you want! I'm not particularly fond of either one.
Agreed!!! Drown them both, I say!! And because of some inane copyright issue the full title is actually, "Precious Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire." If you lived here I would go with you, you can find any movie when you live near NYC. Maybe I'll just get some popcorn and go alone, I don't think my bf would want go. I tried to get him to go see Avatar but he wasn't too hot to trot on that one either!!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,408,158 times
One of my all time favorite books, BUT the movie sucked, they picked the wrong people to play the roles. MY OPINION ONLY.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
One of my all time favorite books, BUT the movie sucked, they picked the wrong people to play the roles. MY OPINION ONLY.

I agree with you, Odie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships