Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
And yet you're confused she sacrificed for her children?
Remember the devils advocate question I asked? In this story line was the sacrifice wasted because her kids went on to have such problems in relationships in their own adult lives anyway? Problems that no doubt stemmed from the bland, non-intimate marriage they saw their parents in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Remember the devils advocate question I asked? In this story line was the sacrifice wasted because her kids went on to have such problems in relationships in their own adult lives anyway? Problems that no doubt stemmed from the bland, non-intimate marriage they saw their parents in?
Yes, I remember. I would say no, the sacrifice was not wasted. I'm sure the kids would've had even more issues as adults to know their mom abandoned them for a man. As long as I know I have done my best for my children, then I don't see any sacrifice as wasted.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yes, I am.
Then all I can say is you and I are two totally different plains as mothers.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Yes, I remember. I would say no, the sacrifice was not wasted. I'm sure the kids would've had even more issues as adults to know their mom abandoned them for a man. As long as I know I have done my best for my children, then I don't see any sacrifice as wasted.
I hear ya Though I always wondered why it had to be an either/or situation. Couldn't she have gone to Robert after her husband died?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Then all I can say is you and I are two totally different plains as mothers.
I have witnessed married couples staying together, just for the children.
In the long run..it was harder on the kids, than having them to separate.
The kids had to live in that household, day after day, year after year, watch, learn, and grow with no real love in their parents life. How sad.
Then, the children grow up, and perhaps follow that path because they don`t know any better. Thats what they grew up with, and what they have learned.
As Mothers, we do the best that we can to guide our children down the right path, and living in a love-less home to me, is not the right path.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear ya Though I always wondered why it had to be an either/or situation. Couldn't she have gone to Robert after her husband died?
I've thought of that too. Or even after her children were grown.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:12 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The child would be provided for much better than I could do by myself.
Provided for maybe, but the emotional issues of having been abandoned will stay with them forever.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I have witnessed married couples staying together, just for the children.
In the long run..it was harder on the kids, than having them to separate.
The kids had to live in that household, day after day, year after year, watch, learn, and grow with no real love in their parents life. How sad.
Then, the children grow up, and perhaps follow that path because they don`t know any better. Thats what they grew up with, and what they have learned.
As Mothers, we do the best that we can to guide our children down the right path, and living in a love-less home to me, is not the right path.

On one hand yes; and on the other, no -- for while what you say is potentially true (as always, depending on the parenting skills of the people involved), there's also the potential for (such as in my case) for being likely forced to relinquish that child's primary rearing to people you consider absolutely inadequate parental figures.

It's easy to be critical of a SINGLE set of circumstances and say "what kids need is [insert opinion here]" but as a parent, as many circumstances as possible need to be taken into account and in the end it STILL amounts to a fair degree of HOPE.

On one hand Francesca's kids were messes themselves in their own ways (although those ways sounded stacked to make women go Awwww...) BUT had she gone rather than stayed, there'd be potential abandonment issues, maternal resentment and the ensuing rift -- I could make up a realistic list as long as my arm and not be finished.

The people who are posting and saying "DOUBTLESS these kids were this way because Francesca DIDN'T go" aren't even looking past the ends of their collective noses, they've simply made up their minds her husband fit their definition of "abusive" in some fashion, they've made up an entire story about how each and every day in that fictional life went, etc.

It may be urban legend, I do not know; regardless, it's worth consideration.

It's said that Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a story using only six words, and that he did so with the following:

For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn.

That can elicit many scenarios, ranging from a happy couple who found an idyll in the country and raised a slew of kids who ran barefoot and joyous, all the way to the sad tale of a young, hopeful pair who discovered a tragedy of barrenness, crushing their hopes and dreams.

When you talk about fiction, speculate on scenarios and say "doubtless", you're a short-sighted chowder-head.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
(Applauds) Very well point!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Provided for maybe, but the emotional issues of having been abandoned will stay with them forever.
Not abandoned. Loved enough to have been given up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships