Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,873 times

Advertisements

1) Houston (near actually, not in)
2) medical school classmates
(My parents are from Taiwan, hers are from India)

Old 02-04-2010, 03:01 PM

32 posts, read 61,541 times
Whitey here met his Nubian princess while she was bartending in Roanoke, TX, a 100% redneck town just minutes away from the Texas Motor Speedway.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitislandmama View Post
At a Christmas party. I am Haitian and he is Chinese.
Ya'll gonna have some cute kids. LOL (Anyone remember or still experience a time when people would talk about how an interracial couple like, say, "Japanese and Black" would have cute kids? It's kinda funny how people would size up couples based on that. Like, "Oooooh, they going to have some cute kids." )

Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglunch View Post
(without reading the website because it's too early in the morning to read that much)

I think I read something similar on "secret asian man" or "generation rice" about asian fever only applying to asian females. Also saying if asian_female+other_race=good, then it can be derived that (asian_female-asian_male)+other_race=good or asian_male+asian_female=bad or socially less desirable . Plus it doesn't help when asian_female+white_male are being advertised as socially good and preferred while asian_males historically have been shown in a frail or comical light. (and yes I explain it using math equations because I'm asian *haha*)

While I don't agree with it entirely to the extreme it implies, I can say from my own personal experience as an asian male with a caucasian wife that both asian coworkers and random people on the street have commented and given us looks both good and bad. They general tone/idea to me is "that's your wife? wow, man.. that's amazing" from other asian men, I've even gotten pats on the back-shoulder as though they were congratulating me for scoring one for the team, they even advertised it to other people saying "hey, did you know.. his wife is white?" to looks of disbelief and amazement. Asian women usually give me the once over and a smile when they see me with my wife . o O ( what's HE got going on? ). At the airport (restaurant or other places we go) most (non-asian) people do not assume we are together, and that perhaps I am just carrying her luggage for her since i must be the cab driver or lost or something.

Recently we've had our first child, NOW things have gotten slightly less than subtle. We've been stopped on the street by people just to see our baby, which on multiple occasions they have congratulated us on how beautiful the baby is and how good a mix we are. I got a pat on the back from a total stranger on the street, old chinese guy, who told me "good job" and gave me a thumbs up. Despite being his father, I will admit, he is good looking (even for a baby).. but I sometimes wonder if people were expecting to see some goofy looking mutant. The other week I went to get my haircut at the local hair salon/illegal massage parlor where the chinese-only speaking hair dressers went nuts over the baby, and even more nuts/giggly when they saw my wife wasn't chinese.. "YOU his mother!? Aye-YA!".. so now over there I'm the guy with the pretty baby and the lo-fan wife. The way people act, sometimes I feel like I'm a minor celebrity parading around my trophy wife and baby, but I suppose it's better than the alternative.

In reality, I'm not the champion of any cause or any team I'm just a proud father, no matter what color he is or how goofy he looks.

To answer the original question:
a) New York
b) College
Congratulations for your son (yes, regardless of his "phenotype" ).
I've been stumbling upon topics about fatherhood lately it's become a bit uncanny.
I was about to ask whether you've read the article by now, but being a married guy with a son makes it almost irrelevant. I just hope that by the time your son becomes a teenager he won't have to deal with too much subtle racism Asian males have been having now. Btw, the author of the article has an Asian and a White parent, just like your son.

To answer the original question: Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships