Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 AM

201 posts, read 648,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have had a few relationships but nothing like my marriage.

I moved for him, the side of the family I am close to is in Canada. I am in Colorado alone.

I did everything I could to make it work. Now I feel so worthless and I don't know what else. I know I shouldn't feel like this...but right now I can't help it.

Maybe someday I will be able to see the big picture and move on...and not look back.

So my question is...how do you get over a break up, a painful one?

Have any of you had a really ****ty ending to your relationship and basically thought life was over...? How did you move on past all of that?
I remember I posted something exactly like yours quite a while ago about how the memories do not pass, they seem to always be there and how the people we want to get away from seem to never really release us. I remember your advice for me was to go and get "help." Maybe you should go and do the same thing. Go get "help."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times
wow, it's been a looooong time since i last posted anything in the forums....mostly because I was dealing with the exact same situation the OP has presented here.

I agree with the advise given by many wise people here. Right on.

Getting over a broken heart in the context of a divorce is perhaps the most difficult thing anybody can go through. But I assume the process is similar for other types of relationships. A broken heart is a broken heart regardless.

The one thing that has helped me the most is giving myself permission to - i humbly admit.

It bruised my male ego at first; but the more I , the more I was able to move through the grieving process.

The second thing that has helped is to push myself to do things alone. Yes, I understand the benefit of making new friends to have additional support systems. That helps fight the initial depression away. But when it comes to the reality of the grieving process, you must be able to learn how to be by yourself - slowly. Like going to the movies alone, going to the local bar alone, etc. That's where I've found the solitude to find myself again.

At first it was horrible because I did not want to be alone. But now I am getting more used to it, and it helps me greatly.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Oh yeah. I feel alive! I needed to get out and I got out...and now I am far, far away from him.
We told ya so.

Good to hear things are working out for you. Getting out of even a lousy relationship can hurt, but it's a relief like no other.

ETA: I guess I should have known when I raised this thread from the dead that people would treat it like this just happened yesterday.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM

124 posts, read 173,831 times
One word. Whiskey

Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I had my heart broken twice. The first time I imagined her sitting alone in an empty room. She was draped over a chair that had a broken leg. In her hand was a half-empty bottle of whiskey that she had consumed trying to find the strength to face a life without me. This image helped me move on. Helps to make light of the situation sometimes.

The second time, I focused on the reasons that it didn't work out and focused on her negatives. This made me glad to be moving on. I decided to exercise more and improve myself in preparation for the better woman I was meant to be with. That woman eventually came too and I've been married to her for 21 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships