Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I couldn't see myself with someone who was very religious, no matter how great the chemistry was.
I don't even think great chemistry is possible between such people, so to me at least it's a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
He's married or has another woman in his life. That's where I say- NO!
Same here.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishka View Post
They say there is no perfect relationship. This is true, but:

1. what imperfections in a person or situation would make you say no to amazing chemistry?
***No moral values. Someone who doesn't share my ethics and beliefs.

2. And what makes you STAY and develop a relationship even with things/the other person (that great chemistry person) not being perfect?
***No, I couldn't be with someone I don't have strong chemistry with...but this is a view of a 31 year old. I'm sure in 30 years I would feel differently.

3. Is Chemistry over-rated?
Not for me.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
I don't think chemistry is overrated at all but it can't be ALL that there is. I wouldn't (and haven't) dated anyone whom I didn't have chemistry with either. There are a few factors that would make me turn my back on chemistry. Their views on family,life, work, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I ask the same question to atheists and theists.

"Why are you on atheist?"

<comes a vituperative tirade of angst, personal failures, morgages, credit card debts, sky daddy didn't cure my mom's breast cancer>

"Why are you a theist?"

<a string of positives and appreciation of life and family, the good things>

Certainly, I don't wanna be around a grumpy person who whines about why she was forced to become atheist, her low points of life and how God who does not exist didn't fix her life, when her life sucks because of her and only her.

Generally, they give me some scientific gibber which they got to read off email forwards. On the other hand, these people are so illiterate they don't know what a quadratic equation is
So you're generalizing about atheists based on the ones you've talked to? How open-minded of you. Do you do that with other groups as well?

I'm not an atheist because of personal failures, mortgages, credit card debts, or a loved one's cancer. I'm an atheist for the same reason I don't believe in Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy. Because no one has provided me with sufficient evidence to prove God exists. I'm not angry at the world or bitter with the way my life has turned out and I get tired of people who lump all atheists into the same category, characterizing us as a bunch of angry people who hate religion and religious people when most atheists don't come close to fitting this stereotype. And BTW, I've met theists who rattle off the same list of negatives you gave for atheists. When they lose their job, get cancer, lose their house, etc., they say God isn't on their side. But unlike you, I don't assume all theists think like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't even think great chemistry is possible between such people, so to me at least it's a moot point.
Actually it can cause I've experienced it on more than one occasion. When we didn't talk about religion, it was great. But obviously you can't have a relationship with someone if you're avoiding certain topics. And the chemistry can't make you blind to your incompatibility.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,933,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So you're generalizing about atheists based on the ones you've talked to? How open-minded of you. Do you do that with other groups as well?

I'm not an atheist because of personal failures, mortgages, credit card debts, or a loved one's cancer. I'm an atheist for the same reason I don't believe in Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy. Because no one has provided me with sufficient evidence to prove God exists. I'm not angry at the world or bitter with the way my life has turned out and I get tired of people who lump all atheists into the same category, characterizing us as a bunch of angry people who hate religion and religious people when most atheists don't come close to fitting this stereotype.

Actually it can cause I've experienced it on more than one occasion. When we didn't talk about religion, it was great. But obviously you can't have a relationship with someone if you're avoiding certain topics. And the chemistry can't make you blind to your incompatibility.
My thoughts and reasons for being an atheist echo DennyCrane's exactly. I never had a "bad" experience with religion that made me "turn" to atheism. I am sorry that apparently every atheist you've met has been 'miserable' but trust me, there's plently of us out here that have happy, productive lives, sans religious beliefs. If anything, making blanket statements about all of us being illiterate and angry us just going to make you look bad (which it did).

I think that life is a wonderful, amazing journey and I am happy and grateful (yes, atheists can feel this!!) to have the opportunity to be alive. I take no issue in having question marks in my life that may be 'answered' to someone with faith.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 02-17-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
My thoughts and reasons for being an atheist echo DennyCrane's exactly. I never had a "bad" experience with religion that made me "turn" to atheism. I am sorry that apparently every atheist you've met has been 'miserable' but trust me, there's plently of us out here that have happy, productive lives, sans religious beliefs. If anything, making blanket statements about all of us being illiterate and angry us just going to make you look bad (which it did).

I think that life is a wonderful, amazing journey and I am happy and grateful (yes, atheists can feel this!!) to have the opportunity to be alive. I take no issue in having question maks in my life that may be 'answered' to someone with faith.
Honestly, every atheist I know in real life has a tale to tell. And I have more atheist friends in the US than theist. Coz atheists have some sense of humour which the Christians brush aside as insensitive and crude.

If what you say is true, you're the first atheist of that kind. And hopefully, you aren't making it up for argument's sake

This is the most common complaint - on how their own family has disowned them. Sad!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,933,627 times
Quote:
Honestly, every atheist I know in real life has a tale to tell. And I have more atheist friends in the US than theist. Coz atheists have some sense of humour which the Christians brush aside as insensitive and crude.

If what you say is true, you're the first atheist of that kind. And hopefully, you aren't making it up for argument's sake

This is the most common complaint - on how their own family has disowned them. Sad!
I promise you, I really am a happy, non-bitter atheist. I do know some atheists are kind of well...how do I say this...argumentative. I rarely, if ever, post on the atheism sub-forum here because I just don't care what other people do enough to argue for the billionth time why everyone religious is an idiot and how they're wrong and blah blah. I don't see it as my business. Oddly enough, I find religion interesting from a sociological standpoint.

My tale is simply that I never felt adequate proof or reason to find a certain religion and/or belief system compelling enough to follow. I don't feel a "connection" with the universe that many people of faith seem to have. I've never felt like I was missing out so I've never sought religion. Simple as that.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,912 times
Quote:

That's funny. All of my closest friends and most of my relatives are atheists and their lives are perfectly happy and functional. They have their ups and downs, like everybody else, but nothing that will make them incurably miserable. On the other hand, some of the religious people I know are always trying to decipher what kind of message God is sending when tragedy (death, illness, a gay son... Things that may happen to anyone ) strikes. Which often makes them feel inadequate, guilty, etc. Fortunately, most religious people I get along with are reasonable and rational and they would never seriously make any dumb generalization about people they don't know.

Now that's a chemistry killer: dumbness.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,096 times
Is this thread really about atheism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships