Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

When the movie Titanic was in theaters, a lot of people were asking why so many teenage girls were attracted to Leonardo DiCaprio. One theory that I heard on more than one occasion was that young girls find men with softer, more feminine features like those of DiCaprio to be less intimidating. There are also guys who seem to prefer boyish looking women (thin, flat chested, tomboyish in dress). Do you ever find yourself being drawn to people like this and what, if anything, do you think it says? I try not to read too much into people's preferences, even if I don't agree or understand them. But without judging, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,303 times
There's honestly no accounting for why I find a certain female attractive. Not that I can't see the appeal of knockouts like Natalie Wood or Jessica Alba, or Rita Hayworth; but very often I will meet a girl and wonder why I'm so drawn to her. Maybe she isn't beautiful, maybe she isn't built, maybe there's nothing about her looks that is so attractive. But there's something about her, about the way she carries herself, the way she smiles, something I behind her skin that is just irresistible.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,197 times
yeah theres something about mary kind of

Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,357 times
I found Leonardo DiCaprio immensely attractive around the time he made Titanic (I hated that movie, but loved some of his other ones). When his features lost that delicate, boyish appeal, I lost interest in his looks (I still think he's a good actor). True, I was younger than him and he was very young, but my mother also thought he was beautiful and attractive!

I also thought Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers were incredibly sexy and daring with some eyeliner on and all glammed up in Velvet Goldmine.

Do I feel androgynous guys are less threatening? Not really. They're still guys. What I like about them is how different from the norm they are (the norm I always find a bit dull anyway, and dull is the opposite of sexy), and the fact that they're beautiful and not just handsome.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
I've always liked nerdy looking men with glasses and big noses. It's because I generally equate that look with being intelligent. My BF has a large nose with glasses and I think he's incredibly sexy. He looks like Tobey Macguire as Peter Parker with a bigger nose.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,164 times
I've always found features and expressions more appealing overall than general looks.

For example, I always dug nerd-chicks LONG before they were a phenomenon. As a kid watching WKRP Jan Smithers did it for me in a way Loni Anderson did not. I thought Jaclyn Smith was the hot Angel when other boys were moaning over Farrah Fawcett although Kate Jackson was close behind, and later even passed her by aging exceptionally well in Scarecrow and Mrs King.

Tomboys are to die for but I'm not entirely certain it's looks. I was just discussing today with a lady friend that what sets her apart from other women has more to do with her actions than her looks, and men respond to it.

By the same token an actress or model with striking, vivid eyebrows (the Brooke Shields kind, not the Vampira kind) have always attracted me.

I don't like women who look like men but I DO like women with pronounced muscles who retain their feminine faces and breasts. Some do, some do not, there's no getting around it.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
yeah theres something about mary kind of
No, there's definitely something about "Mary". And it's elusive, overpowering, and keeping me up at night.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:57 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Tomboys are to die for but I'm not entirely certain it's looks. I was just discussing today with a lady friend that what sets her apart from other women has more to do with her actions than her looks, and men respond to it.
I agree. For me, it's the fact that they will DO things with you. If you take them to the beach they won't just sit in a lounge chair. They will swim, surf, cavort and play with you. What's sexier than that?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
I can see why women are attracted to Messrs Depp, Pitt, Mcqueen, Connery, Gere etc.

One guy who's sex symbol status baffles me, and, it seems many other males, is Justin Timberlake.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it ??

Old 02-15-2010, 02:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I'm sorry, I just don't get it ??
Musicians just play by different rules. It is odd.

As to why Justin Timberlake in particular, well, I guess some people have bad taste in music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships