Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
my point isn't so cryptic that it warrants a "WTH are you talking about".

you seem upset because i said unflattering things about the men on the site you use.

compared to a bar scene, a church, or a social circle, online dating is rife with disadvantages for men in the first place, even when it is cost-free. so you already have a threshold of desperation that a man has to meet before he even considers it as an option, and then another threshold must be crossed for him to actually go through with it. then, trials notwithstanding, a man has to be extra desperate to pay for match.com, and damn near suicide to pay for eharmony.com. if they charged a monthly fee for facebook or city-data, and people actually paid, i'd call them equally desperate for social interaction. Using y'all's logic these people would just be "really serious about socializing."

Someone mentioned earlier that I was wrong, because men will pay a high cover charge to get into a dance club to meet women -- same deal, I say. You're still talking about a disproportionately pathetic cohort of men.
Upset? Don't be silly. I find your posts to be remarkably foolish given the limited experience you have had with said topic. Given that most of the single people I know have done online dating, and the majority have had some measure of success with it, your description of such people as "desperate" is so 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Your idea of desperation in this realm is so far off-base.
I think you took the words out of my mouth.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
my point isn't so cryptic that it warrants a "WTH are you talking about".

you seem upset because i said unflattering things about the men on the site you use.

compared to a bar scene, a church, or a social circle, online dating is rife with disadvantages for men in the first place, even when it is cost-free. so you already have a threshold of desperation that a man has to meet before he even considers it as an option, and then another threshold must be crossed for him to actually go through with it. then, trials notwithstanding, a man has to be extra desperate to pay for match.com, and damn near suicide to pay for eharmony.com. if they charged a monthly fee for facebook or city-data, and people actually paid, i'd call them equally desperate for social interaction. Using y'all's logic these people would just be "really serious about socializing."

Someone mentioned earlier that I was wrong, because men will pay a high cover charge to get into a dance club to meet women -- same deal, I say. You're still talking about a disproportionately pathetic cohort of men.
No, what ChessieMom and others are bothered by is your close-mindedness and judgmental attitude. You keep saying the men who sign up for these sites are desperate. Why? Cause they chose to expand their options? Desperate would be standing on the corner with a sign that says "I'm single." But that's NOT what you're doing when you go online. There's nothing desperate in recognizing that your current methods of meeting someone (bar, party, friends, church, etc.) have limitations and then choosing to expand your options. Your problem is you don't see online dating as worthwhile so you label anyone else who does use it as desperate. That's fine if you don't want to do it. But at least recognize that not everyone meets Mr. or Mrs. Right at church or a bar. As for agreeing to pay a small fee, that doesn't reek of desperation. The free sites attract people who aren't serious or who are just outright fakes. The pay sites filter out a lot (though not all) of those people. Desperate would be paying membership fees for 10 different sites instead of just using 1. But no one here is suggesting signing up for all the sites out there.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is the second time I've done this since I ended the relationship with the ex back in August. The first time was a total disaster with all the responses I got that totally did not match my requirements..I was more speicfic this time, so I'm hoping that will weed all that stuff out. The two dates I went on were pathetic: The first guy looked nothing like his picture and the second guy was soo boring and uptight, I couldn't believe it. I did email someone today so lets see what happens with that. I'll keep you guys posted, LOL.
I had to laugh when I read this. Oh girl, welcome to the wide world of dating on a dating site. You can set a million different criterion and the wrong guy will still email you, wink at you, etc. My daughter just signed up, having fun for the most part but she gets some real creepy OLD men looking at her and wanting to talk to her even though she clearly laid out what she's looking for.
I guess these guys have nothing to lose by at least trying, right? LOL Good luck, just have fun with it, remember they can't do anything until you allow them.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Upset? Don't be silly. I find your posts to be remarkably foolish given the limited experience you have had with said topic. Given that most of the single people I know have done online dating, and the majority have had some measure of success with it, your description of such people as "desperate" is so 10 years ago.
i don't know you; your friends could be the desperate losers i'm talking about.

Last edited by le roi; 03-03-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM

43 posts, read 127,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No one talks to me in public. I guess they're intimidated...So I'm trying this way again..
Why dont they talk to you???

Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,165,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I had to laugh when I read this. Oh girl, welcome to the wide world of dating on a dating site. You can set a million different criterion and the wrong guy will still email you, wink at you, etc. My daughter just signed up, having fun for the most part but she gets some real creepy OLD men looking at her and wanting to talk to her even though she clearly laid out what she's looking for.
I guess these guys have nothing to lose by at least trying, right? LOL Good luck, just have fun with it, remember they can't do anything until you allow them.
If a man went through the criterion of a woman's that she either has said out loud to listed in her profile, then cross-referenced those criteria with his own attributes and abided by whether he fit the requirements that the woman has specified and followed this rule of whether or not to contact her.....well then honestly no woman who stated criteria would ever be contacted.

Not bashing women, but they say they want one thing and then they date a guy who is the opposite. Now old men looking at a girl 10-20 years younger is one thing, but I know women who claim only to be attracted to tall athletes, but I ended up getting in their pants at one point and I'm only 5'8"

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Quote:
If a man went through the criterion of a woman's that she either has said out loud to listed in her profile, then cross-referenced those criteria with his own attributes and abided by whether he fit the requirements that the woman has specified and followed this rule of whether or not to contact her.....well then honestly no woman who stated criteria would ever be contacted.

Not bashing women, but they say they want one thing and then they date a guy who is the opposite. Now old men looking at a girl 10-20 years younger is one thing, but I know women who claim only to be attracted to tall athletes, but I ended up getting in their pants at one point and I'm only 5'8"
Well then congrats to you. However, my daughter isn't one of those wishy-washy women and she's got her life going very well for herself. Her list of wants and needs isn't off base either, she's very clear and her expectations are realistic. Men are just retarded and like seeing how far they can get.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:10 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,221 times
Quote:

Yes. Quite the gentleman.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildordie View Post
Why dont they talk to you???

Not trying to sound conceited in anyway but I am the woman that ALOT of other women instantly get threatened by. I went out with my brother and told him to watch the women. He couldn't believe the way grown women act. Women just instantly get catty, catty, catty and talk shyt about me even if I'm standing right next to them. It's their own insecurities. I turn heads: women, men, couples, period. I'm not a supermodel by any means but I can definately hold my own. A lot of men are intimidated by that. They cannot handle the attention I get. That's their insecurities. Again, not trying to sound conceited but I'm just being honest as to what I come across all the time.

All I have to say is thanks mom and dad!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships