Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One That's The "Minimum" for You
Don't care at all 7 9.59%
20-40k 7 9.59%
40-60k 19 26.03%
60-80k 13 17.81%
80-100k 7 9.59%
100-120k 6 8.22%
120-140k 1 1.37%
140-160k 1 1.37%
160-200k 2 2.74%
200k+ 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,813,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I agree but I also think that a salary is not just about how much money someone has, but a reflection of themselves and what they want in life.

Where I live (the suburbs of NYC) 20-40K and sometimes higher, is usually an entry level job for a college grad, so if I were in my 20's it would be fine.

If someone in their late 30's or higher is earning this kind of money in my neck of the woods, they are either in a dead-end job, have no ambition, are still trying to figure out what they want to do. They could not possibly be living comfortably, unless they are still living with their parents or don't have the same lifestyle that I do.
This is true, especially in big cities with a high cost of living. I grew up in NYC, and I can remember my friends and I sitting around on the street corner after high school trying to find decent jobs or commiserating about what a good job would be. Someone mentioned a job that an older friend of thiers had that pays $40K--$20 per hour at the time (late 80's) and I mentioned that for a married guy with a family you'd still be a working stiff. Even at $60K in NYC. Some of them thought I was crazy, but looking at it today, if you're making $60K in NYC with a family you're barely getting by after taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,416,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I just want to say, figuring out how much a person makes alone is not enough, because, in edition to how they manage the money (as others said) you also need to look at how much debt they are in. So a person making 40k who has zero debt is better off then a person who makes 80k but is 100k plus submerged in debt. And to be honest, I don't see why people happly go into debt to buy even a home; but that's off topic.
I'd rather buy a home and be in debt than rent one though. B/c in the end, you can make $$ on it and then not be in debt anymore. With renting, it's **** down the toilet.

It's virtually impossible though to find someone without SOME kind of debt.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,910,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Where you live makes a huge difference in the answer to this question.
I agree, and I think it also depends on how old the person is and their situation. At first glance, I might hesitate to date someone that is over 25 and still working fast food or as a retail clerk. However, sometimes is takes time for a person to realize what they really want as a career. I am only just now in a place (35) where I feel I have the motivation to get back in to college and finish it, so that financially I know my kids and I will be okay with or without a man. I have spent the last 4 years being pregnant or taking care of little ones. After the age of 30, if they are still content with making minimum wage, still living at home, and no plan to further their situation, I already know the relationship wouldn't last.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 03-11-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
holy crap! Look at the result's distribution! There is slight bell curve and then a HUGE outlier lol (you'll have to check the results to see what I mean).
You DO realize that anyone can answer the poll, correct? Even men?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,706,389 times
This questions is also always on my mind when I meet someone. I especially feel that I don't make enough money to be in a relationship ( although I do make more than the average which is around 40k, have my own house and car)

Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 AM

865 posts, read 2,434,742 times
Ok, I voted for 100-120k. It's partly b/c that is the standard of life that I am accustomed to, and partly b/c in my circle of friends, most make that or more. And also b/c I could easily make that or more if I worked full time, so I kinda expect my SO to carry the same weight financially that I do.

I think once I'm retired, and the kids are out of the house, I could easily manage with less.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,410,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You DO realize that anyone can answer the poll, correct? Even men?

Hi sophialee,

I do consider that some men may be seeking to besmirch the results. One can only hope for their sakes.

If the data is correct, 13 women are seeking minimum incomes above average income, 9 women at average income and 8 below average. Remember this is the minimum.

Since 50% of women must be below average in attractiveness, I see trouble ahead. Some of you are over charging for your booty.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 AM

917 posts, read 2,952,033 times
I picked the $60-80K range because a) that's what my BF is making now and it seems to be working just fine and b) I live in NYC, which has a high cost of living- if we lived in a cheap area, I'd probably be fine with the equivalent salary bracket. I take care of my own needs (clothes, toys, savings) and we split living expenses, so I'm not exactly financially dependent on him. I've been supporting myself since 18, so I am comfortable living within my budget and don't expect him to buy me things (although it's nice when he does). The most important thing to me is that he works hard in his career and is flying up through the ranks of his company and that he finds his work fulfilling. The added bonus is that when we have kids, we'll be financially stable enough for me to take some time off to raise them, which is important to both of us.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,910,055 times
I personally don't have any desire to live in a mansion or drive a beemer. My personal goals are simply to have some money left over at the end of the month to save for a vacation once in awhile and help my kids buy a car, get married, and contribute something towards their college. People with lots of money have just as many relationship problems as those that live somewhere in the middle, they just might be a little higher caliber. Ideally, a couple together should make above 70k to be able to do those things in a moderately priced area.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM

796 posts, read 1,846,656 times
As long as a man can pay his rent/bills/obligations, it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships