Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I don't think my gym has those stretch bands, although I suppose I could bring my own. However, there's a lovely open space upstairs that is great for strength training sans weights. . . there's not too much available room (especially with the guys) in the free weight area. Many women don't venture into the free weight area so I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult lol.

Maybe I should get a shirt that says "Hey, you. Yeah, you - I think you're really hot. Now come over and talk to me damn it!"
One thing that I've seen that works well is when the women is friendly to the other guys in the free weights sections. If you can be cool with the other guys then the guy you're interested will feel a bit more at ease; as opposed to you just showing up in their section. He'll respect that.

Trust me. I know. I've had women do everything from waving at me from the eliptical machine to coming into the free weight section chatting me up to never saying a word to me at the gym, but I see her out at a restaurant and she's all chatty wanting to give me her number and the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
One thing that I've seen that works well is when the women is friendly to the other guys in the free weights sections. If you can be cool with the other guys then the guy you're interested will feel a bit more at ease; as opposed to you just showing up in their section. He'll respect that.

Trust me. I know. I've had women do everything from waving at me from the eliptical machine to coming into the free weight section chatting me up to never saying a word to me at the gym, but I see her out at a restaurant and she's all chatty wanting to give me her number and the list goes on and on.
Is the indirect approach the preferable one?

It does make sense. I suppose the earphones need to come out once I hit the weights.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Yes, this is one of those threads.

I've been seeing this one particular guy at the gym regularly for the past few months. We've never talked to each other and to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure if he even knows I exist since he's never blatantly looked at or acknowledged me when I was taking a peek at me. In my defense, my natural face at the gym is part ice queen, part *****. I'm incapable of beaming smiles and jogging simultaneously. It should be said that this guy is h-o-t. I tell myself that when we make eye contact, I will flash a warm smile, but we never do.

On to the point: I'm developing a crush. I've been considering opening the lines of communication between us, but it seems near impossible! He's always so wrapped up in his work out and socializing with the other guys weight lifting. He barely pays any attention to any female so it's fair to say he is not at the gym to pick-up chicks.

I'm the type of girl that goes to the gym to work out and sweat and this the first time someone has caught my eye. It's pretty easy to strike up a conversation in most other environments, but the gym has me hopelessly lost. I'm clueless about flirting at the gym. Is it creepy? From what I gather, most people are at the gym to work out, not get a date.

But wow. . . I haven't had a crush like this in a very long time. I feel like a randy schoolgirl with a really bad case of the giggles and flushed cheeks.
I have to say I do not think flirting at a gym is any more or less creepy then flirting in any other environment. I think a lot of people go to places where a relationship could start, but do not go there with that intention.

You should just ask him something inane and use that to start a conversation. There are probably about 1,289 things someone could say in a gym that make perfect sense depending on what you are doing that could start a conversation. For example, when you deem it the right moment ask him if he doesn't mind showing you how a certain type of machine works or where something is. If he helps you, you can use that as an opportunity to start a conversation if he gives you the cold shoulder then you know he is not interested and no one is necessarily the wiser.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Simply ask one of the guys he talks to whether or not he's single. They'll let him know that you're interested and then it's up to him to make the move. If he's already taken, then you know.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
If he hasn't noticed you, Mango, he's most likely gay or otherwise unavailable.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If he hasn't noticed you, Mango, he's most likely gay or otherwise unavailable.
Na, that's not true... I see lots of girls that I'm attracted to at the gym but I don't walk up and talk to them all... It's the same with a lot of other guys..... and I would know, I use to work at a chain gym for about 2 years....

Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
Is the indirect approach the preferable one?

It does make sense. I suppose the earphones need to come out once I hit the weights.
The key, and a lot of people don't get this is.........to remove the ear buds or headphones when you're ready to say something to him. You can keep them on while you're working out, figuring out what you're going say, but once you're ready to go, remove them and say whatever you're going to say. Also, smile when you speak to him.

Again, what I've seen that works is you initially smile at him the first two times you're in his presence but don't say anything b/c you're new to his free weight section. Doing this allows him to let down his guard. The third time you see him just say hi or ask a really basic question about the form that he is using. Nod in the affirmative and mention something about how changing up your form has allow you to really isolate the core muscles. Don't go into a long convo. You want to leave something to talk about during your next encounter. And go from there.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Na, that's not true... I see lots of girls that I'm attracted to at the gym but I don't walk up and talk to them all... It's the same with a lot of other guys..... and I would know, I use to work at a chain gym for about 2 years....
Well, granted, I don't have any experience with gyms per se, but any normal available guy would - in any environment. Unless he's not into brunettes... I'm talking about Mango in particular, not in general.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Yes, this is one of those threads.

I've been seeing this one particular guy at the gym regularly for the past few months. We've never talked to each other and to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure if he even knows I exist since he's never blatantly looked at or acknowledged me when I was taking a peek at me. In my defense, my natural face at the gym is part ice queen, part *****. I'm incapable of beaming smiles and jogging simultaneously. It should be said that this guy is h-o-t. I tell myself that when we make eye contact, I will flash a warm smile, but we never do.

On to the point: I'm developing a crush. I've been considering opening the lines of communication between us, but it seems near impossible! He's always so wrapped up in his work out and socializing with the other guys weight lifting. He barely pays any attention to any female so it's fair to say he is not at the gym to pick-up chicks.

I'm the type of girl that goes to the gym to work out and sweat and this the first time someone has caught my eye. It's pretty easy to strike up a conversation in most other environments, but the gym has me hopelessly lost. I'm clueless about flirting at the gym. Is it creepy? From what I gather, most people are at the gym to work out, not get a date.

But wow. . . I haven't had a crush like this in a very long time. I feel like a randy schoolgirl with a really bad case of the giggles and flushed cheeks.
Mango, when you see him alone, look confused and ask him how to do a specific exercise properly.... When he helps you, just flirt a bit and he should get the message...

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
If the guy's at the gym for a workout and just a workout, then you better bring your A game. Really, the best thing you could do is to be really ninja-creepy and follow him to the watering hole then strike up small talk. You could always venture to the free weights, but you run the risk of getting all the guys' ass and ball sweat on you.

You certainly aren't going to get his attention by trying on new faces on a treadmil from across the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships