Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times

Advertisements

For me it is. I have since found out that apparently I have had unique dating experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
One thing that's different is that more guys used to be willing to get to know a woman before having sex or at least they were willing to wait until she got to know him better. Heck, they expected to wait. Now? If you haven't given it up by the third date, there will not be a fourth and he won't call to say there won't be one.

Guys took for granted that they were paying for the first date. Now? If you expect them to pay for the first date, you're a gold digger.

Guys used to understand that a woman wanted to know where they stood so he was okay calling her his girlfriend. Now? They expect to 'date' for years and still refer the person their dating as "the woman I'm seeing"

It's very different.
Do you know my ex-boyfriend We dated for a year and I never once heard him use the word "girlfriend". We stayed friends for a while after we broke up, but that friendship went south a few months ago. However, before we called it quits as friends he was telling me about his latest relationships. He always used words like "the gal I'm seeing" or "the woman I'm with now" or "I dated this one girl for a while". I wonder if he's ever had a "girlfriend" or if he went straight from dating to getting married (he's twice divorced).

My two closest friends from college honestly have no clue what my life in the dating world is like. They both got married in their mid-twenties after dating the same guy for a few years. I think one of them had two boyfriends before meeting her husband at age 24 or 25, and she went straight from breaking up with her college boyfriend to moving in with her now-husband. Her husband helped her move out of the ex-boyfriends place - no transitional single-ness for her. The second met her husband in college and had only one high school boyfriend prior to that. Neither of them had ever been out in the real world, post-college, trying to find someone to date/marry. I love my best friends dearly, they have been there for me through thick and thin, and they are sympathetic whenever I have depressing break-ups, but over the years I've learned to not talk to them about my relationships. They both have such rose-colored-glasses views of the world and kept spewing that crap about "you'll meet someone when you're not looking" and "when you least expect it, it'll happen". Crapola! I save my relationship rants for C-D and one other friend who has been single for longer than I have.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Yes but the longer you are away from the dating scene the harder it is to relate to what others are going through. And dating now is a lot different than 5 - 10 years ago.
How so?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Hm...

We have been househunting. Obviously, just about anyone who puts their house on the market now _has_ to sell (rather than wants to).

The number of houses we have seen up for sale as a product of divorce or break-ups...

Frankly, I don't know if marriage is for everyone or necessarily anything to be envied.

I once told someone I would be really happy the day I got married. Not because I got married. But because that would mean I had actually met someone I would want to marry.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I have one of those trees you speak of. They're full of monkeys though.
ha!!! Hilarious!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
He always used words like "the gal I'm seeing" or "the woman I'm with now" or "I dated this one girl for a while". I wonder if he's ever had a "girlfriend" or if he went straight from dating to getting married (he's twice divorced).
That's a quite curious phenomenon! So the women went from "gals he was seeing" straight to "wives"...?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's a quite curious phenomenon! So the women went from "gals he was seeing" straight to "wives"...?
Probably, and then they went from "wives" to "ex-wives"

I just remembered that I actually did hear this guy refer to one previous relationship as an "ex-girlfriend". He was with her for seven years though, so I assume somewhere around year 3 or 4 he decided it was serious enough to use the "G word"

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
He was with her for seven years though, so I assume somewhere around year 3 or 4 he decided it was serious enough to use the "G word"
Wow, you'd think it's the F word! I'd drop his sorry as@ well before the end of year 1!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's different from 5 or 10 years ago?
It's no different than dating 10, 20, or 40 years ago. Just new technology, different music, better birth control, same and different drugs but the same human behavior toward relating with the opposite sex and the pursuit of a compatible mate.

There is probably less opportunity to actually talk and relate to people today with all the electronic communication. Also a little of a spoiled attitude of I want all, I want it now and I want it delivered.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,034 times
I think the better question is who would you rather hear advice from - someone in the same boat as you or someone that successfully found someone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships