Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
I feel like i'm in this world by myself and no one gives a ****!!

Anyone ever felt like this, if so how did you overcome this feeling?
Yes I think technically we are in this world by ourselves and a lot of people are so caught up in their own issues that no they don't care.

That said, I believe it's easier to overcome than anything. As people we tend to base our self worth on what others project onto us, what society says, what culture says, etc. Really our happiness is found within ourselves, understanding that there are certain things we cannot change and to have some courage to change those things that we can.

There is a whole world out there for us to experience and explore. And if you need social contact there are so many different things you can do. Travel with an organized tour, volunteer and help people that really, really need help, become involved in clubs and organizations, take up a sport, etc. Tons of stuff to expand our horizons and social circle.

I was asked yesterday if I was to rate my life on a scale of poor to excellent what would it be? Excellent was the answer and I was told few people have that response. Sad to hear. For me I accepted my abilities and limitations, am honest about what I like or don't like and go out and live a fulfilled life free from what others think or don't think. Have fun cause there is so much to enjoy out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:

Sure.

The answer for me is to find someone who needs some help with something and help them, whether it's a friend, a neighbor, or a cause.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
IMHO the best way to deal with it is to look after #1 and not to give a f*** about anyone else.

You
are the most important person in the world, and don't ever forget it.

If anyone else doesn't like it, then they can go take a flying f** at a rolling donut.

Quote:

Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,897 times
Happy birthday, Picklejuice! And lifesprecious, I text my best friend who 's 6 000 miles away or pray(not too good at the latter ). It really comforts me to know someone out there cares about me.Thank God for sms-es.

And in many ways ,we 're alone, even if surrounded by people. As suggested by earlier posters, think of the less fortunate - a cliche but true- and think outwardly ,reach out to friends or even strangers. Somehow that seems to help even if it doesn't solve your sense of being alone. This works when you experience other kinds of challenges, too. Hugs to you.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I pick one of these to boost my esteem:

*start a short project--one that I can finish in a couple of hours so that I have something to show for it and it gets my mind on something else

*read a book or watch a movie about someone worse off than myself--I had a terrible lot of sympathy for Crooks, the black man in Of Mice and Men--he was so alone

*Volunteer--I work in a homeless shelter sometimes and then go home feeling really lucky--also I try to talk to them and not just treat them like someone I'm helping so I can feel good about myself--they are amazingly normal and intelligent, which is a little scary

*Or I take the opposite tack and pamper myself--I'm a shower girl, but sometimes a bath is what I need and all the girly girl stuff like nail polish

*Do something different--be a tourist in your own town or part of the country--I shook myself out of a bad one last summer by going camping by myself and forcing myself to talk to other campers--I made a couple of friends and had some great experiences--go home from work a different way and stop somewhere that looks interesting or take a walk there

*I make sure I get my B-vitamins--they help almost right away

*Most important: I recognize that we have a poor social climate in these modern times and that it's probably not so much me as it is the structure of society and that most people are so wrapped up in their own little concerns that they don't have much time to reach out in concern--I resolve to not be one of those people--a dutch man told me once that we Americans are like ships passing in the night and I have to admit that he's right--for the most part. There is probably someone on your street or in your apt bldg that would love to visit. You may have to reach out of your comfort zone--even if you're a 27 yo man, there's no reason you can't visit with someone much older or younger than you, or way less cool

This last one for church-goers: some churches are really helpful for loneliness and some make it worse--if you go home from a church feeling worse than when you went in, go to another one and keep going to different ones til you find one that will reach out to you in a way that you're comfortable with

Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 AM

241 posts, read 474,648 times
Oh
it's happend for me
but I'm keep going and
living my life ^_*

Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,342 times
Quote:

Zoloft! lololol!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
Quote:

You are NOT alone and no one gives a shyt.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
Quote:

nobody has to.

Just live your own life, and care for those closest to you.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:

You are right, chances are no one gives a damn about you. So now what? What is your life worth to you? Do you determine it's value by what others feel or think about you? The answer is in your username. Life is precious...live it that way! Don't wait around for someone else to give your life meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships