Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,195 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had a roomate that got on your last nerve? I have a roomate living with my family now who drives me friggin crazy!
For one thing, he is messy. I have to always tell him to pick up his cigarrette butts he throws in the yard.And he never puts anything back in his place.
Another thing, he brings his friends over constantly and sometimes they spend the night and I wake up in the morning to seeing them over. And we had discussed this before we rented the house together. I made it perfectly clear I didn't want people over constantly. I don't mind sometimes... hey I like to party once in a while too-but he goes overboard.
Also, he's had 3 different girls there so far (and I don't mean just watching t.v.) I told him it wasn't a whorehouse, plus I have kids there!

The bad thing is, his name is on the lease too. So I am stuck in this suckfest until the end of the year....(9 months to go) It's too bad because he does pay his bills on time but he's just such a moron. I've tried to warn him we will be levaing his ass at the end of the year but he acts like he don't care.
Anyone else been through this? Any ideas what I can do before I end up "taking him out?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I once had a room mate that would eat any food that he didn't have to cook first. No matter that he did not buy it himself. "Hey, aren't those MY chips you're scarfing?"

One ex-girlfriend cut her ties with a friend because his niece bad mouthed her, and he wouldn't stand up for her. (The niece was an adult, by the way, not a child.)

Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM

191 posts, read 349,719 times
My worst roommate used to smoke drugs in his bedroom and was too stupid to figure out that the smell permeated throughout the entire apartment. No idea what ever happened to him, but my guess is prison.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I had a roommate bought a baby alligator and thought nobody would notice. Also had a roommate who tried to dig his way out of the house using his closet as a starting point.. had one try to make alcohol out of sugar yeast and kool-aid under the house... and have had more food/money issues than I'd like to discuss.

Right now, we have a converted studio (our old garage) attached to the house we're renting and our 'roommate' before was awesome. A super quiet hippy who conserved his utilities (we pay for them in exchange for reduced rent) and didn't have a ton of people over to 'party'.

Now.... he moved out and a new guy and his girlfriend have moved in. He smokes constantly and leaves the cigarette butts in the planter outside the front door (which we have to walk by to get to our front door), his girlfriend feeds every feral cat in the neighborhood so they swarm our house now, he leaves empty beer cans all over the front yard and fills up the trashcan every freakin week so we have no room to put our stuff in. Our utilities have more than quadrupled in price in the last 3 months he's lived here. Our $45 electric bill is now over $250.

Bah. I'm bitter. Our landlord won't do anything about it.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Ever Had A Really Annoying Roomate?

Yes, my ex-wife.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM

367 posts, read 415,211 times
My roommate in college used to try to steal all my friends. I would come home and she would be on the phone for an hour. I would assume it was one of her friends or relatives, and then after the hour, she'd be like, "It's your boyfriend" - HUH?!

She also did the normal things like stealing my clothes and shoes.

She was always on a "diet" so she would pop popcorn every day (this was in our tiny dorm room) but she would cover it in butter and teriyaki sauce - drove me nuts!

A friend of mine used to say, "She not your roommate ... she's your MATE ... for life!"

Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,195 times
JetJockey- I don't feel so bad now...lol

Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,275 times
I've always had horrible roommates. Frankly, I'm not even sure where to start...so I won't.

I bought my own place 1 1/2 years ago, and I haven't had a roommate since. It has been lonely, but so NICE!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
As part of the college application process, we had to fill out a questionnaire regarding habits/style of behavior to match us with a roommate.

I state emphatically I want a non-smoker. I hate smoke.
Well, yeah, you guessed it. I got a smoker and a druggie with 'suspect druggie friends' for a room-mate.

Our room became the burn out hang out till I asked to switch with a friend I met. Funny thing, they kept refusing to switch us, despite Druggy having a fellow druggy friend to move in with

They tell us to 'deal with the problem.'

Finally they allowed the switch and the rest of the school year I have to deal with rumors I am gay (yeah, makes sense...)

You guys who are in college now have no clue how 'calling someone gay' in the '80s was one of the worst slanders you could attribute to someone. For the record, I don't care if someone is gay (I found out one of my best college guys was gay later after we graduated)...

At least these days you could say to the college administration give me a smokeless room or ELSE.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,111 times
My current roommate is a friend of mine, and that's the only reason I agreed to move in with him in the first place. I should have known better, because I've never had roommates before and I am kind of a loner.

But anyways.. He's a guy and I'm a girl, and I kinda have a mother/wife obsession as far as the chores go. Like if you're not doing it - I will, instead of telling you to. And I HATE conflict so I try to avoid it at all cost.

So the first few months were OK, but then he stopped doing dishes or taking out trash. I mean, I would set the trash bag by the front door - he passes it by when he goes to work. And NOTHING. I come back from work and it's still sitting there. He also has people over all the time. One morning I woke up and there were 5 (!) guys in our living room that I have never seen before. I'm moving out in 3 weeks, so I don't care anymore, but it has been driving me crazy for far too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships