Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I'm single and have been enjoying it, to my surprise. I'm starting to enjoy it too but at first I kept thinking I needed to find someone else right away, though I knew that was stupid. Fear of aging I guess. Now I'm much calmer and finding that I enjoy it and life is more challenging but maybe I was too sheltered anyway.

What about you?

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples? Eh, too commercial anyway.

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship? Probably, I'm also one of those people who functions better as a couple, though I'd be miserable with the wrong one.

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship? Yes, though I'm like a kid in a candy shop as I check out all the available and handsome men. I thought it would be scarcity, but it's looking like abundance after all, lol. I'm not really dating much yet though.

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married? At my advancing age, with the tables turning, hard to say. I know several women my age who manage to date a lot but are not meeting the man they want to. The meetups I've been to are mostly women.

Are you the envy of your married friends? More like a threat--I've noticed that married women are different around me now.

What do you hate about being single? No sex, groan. Waiting for Mr. Right on that one.

What do you love about it? Being able to travel somewhere that I want to w/o having to run it by someone else. I can just take off if I want to, so I could get used to this.
Single for 15 months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,653 times
What about you?

Same. Enjoying my single life.

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?

Nope. I have always thought this culture in general was a bunch of sheep following a shepherd who manipulates them and feeds them to the wolves when profitable and holidays as a symbolic way for the people I know personally to make themselves feel better by overdoing things they feel they should do on a daily basis. Ergo I could care less about either.

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship?

Nope. I am putting up with certain things until I reach my goals or die.
But being single is like Tesla's inventions. Perfect for me but others would prefer I choose their way.

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship?

Nope. If I wanted to meet a woman to just go out with, plenty of them would say yes as long as i offered to pay for the date. Especially if they knew i was not interested in them romantically and/or sexually.
and I have family and friends who are always inviting me over or to go somewhere to the point i keep my phone off.

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married?

If the relationship is the type I prefer, its possible if i meet someone with whom I share mutual attraction.
Marriage. Also possible but I doubt the wife would want to live in a different home than her husband.

Are you the envy of your married friends?

If I am they never say so. Even when some of them complain they still add in the part that i should be married to and that they are quite willing to help me find someone. My cousin offered to pay for my wedding.

What do you hate about being single?

Not being able to get laid daily. With my exes that I cohabited with, both had high sex drives so
that was pretty fun and easy because we lived together. with my work schedule on the days I have off from my normal and side gigs, I am too tired to do much of anything. And so tired of dealing with other people that its comforting just to be alone.

What do you love about it?

The lack of obligations/compromises outside of work and necessary responsibilities.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,495 times
I would not say I enjoy being single, but that being said I refuse to settle. I have been single for a couple years now and I don't really think twice about it. I know some people who can't go a month without getting into a relationship but thats just not the kind of person I am.

I enjoy my independence, and I think there is something to be said for the self discovery that is only possible when you are on your own for awhile. I am 24 and I am still trying to figure out what I want in life. I hate my job and am considering moving to europe to teach english. This seems like a move that is only possible if I am single so I have been a little extra guarded in my love life as I do not want to get bogged down over a girl.

I believe I have to find happiness in my life to share with someone, instead of trying to find someone to bring me happiness.

That being said I am still testing the waters but I find the girls that I date/hookup with are more about sex than anything else. The ironic part about my lifestyle is that the few woman I think have potential are ussually in the same mind set as me and are not looking for anything serious .

Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
i feel quite good, thanks for asking.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times
I'll be into my own apartment soon, so this will be the first time I'll actually live alone (without parents or a roommate or a spouse) so I know it'll be weird for a while. It's just one of those concepts I have to learn to understand. I already know I don't really like going out to eat or to a show alone. When you do go out, doesn't seeing and being around all of those other couples get to you somewhat? Do you find yourself going stir crazy after not having interaction with anyone else over a period of time?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
I seem to enjoy it. No drama or stress.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
I'm single and have been enjoying it, to my surprise.

What about you?

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?

Well, I'm a loner by nature, and I have plenty of things to do so I never thought about it. Yea, every once and a while when I would find out people I knew who were getting married, I thought to myself, "that would be nice." But now that I have done the research into marriage (which many guys don't do) I subsequently turned a new leaf because I now realize how much power and freedom I have in being a single male! Gezz, you can get everything a married man can get WITHOUT taking the financial risk in getting married!

Don't believe the hype, you should only get married if you want to have children, and you just CAN'T live without the woman you are dating.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,409 times
Quote:

What about you?

What about you?
Yes and No

Yes I do. I think it is unfair that you should get a tax break on anything just because you are married or have kids. Isn't it a personal choice you make that puts you in that category? I would think that a single in their 30's would need more of a tax break than a couple that brings 2 incomes in.

No not really, I am just taking what comes each day in life. If God wants me to have someone then I will, and if not then it's not meant to be. Bottom line: I've learned personally that if you ain't got the dough then it's a no go when dealing with women these days. When I say dough/money I'm speaking of the money that provides stability. Seems people still think with the mentality that one income can support 2 people and maybe a kid these days and be in a comfortable situation.

I do get lonely when I see other couples, but I do enjoy my single free life when I heard someone nagging their partner or when I want to watch a basketball game or something because I can do what I want without hearing all the questions. I also get tired of being with women who love pointing the finger at me when something happens and they look to blame others instead of saying they are the ones who are sorry. Sorry ladies if I offended you, but in my personal experience I haven't been with one girl who ever apologized for "anything" when there was an argument about an issue. Not saying all women are like this, but the ones in my path have been.

Right now I see the likelihood being zero percent to tell you the truth, but it would be nice to finally meet someone worth while.

Yes and No. Yes because they see my freedom, and no because they see that I am always the friend that has nobody and they seem to not be people that are ok being alone.

The thing I hate most is being reminded I'm alone by songs, TV, Movies, or other couples out there that look like they are having the time of their lives. When I am just enjoying myself and kinda not focused on those things I could give a damn if I'm single because I do have fun with whatever I do. I do a lot of things alone that other people wouldn't do unless they had someone. Like going to the movies or to a bar to drink and listen to karaoke.

I love not having to answer for everything I do as if I'm off to cheat on someone when I'm just going outside to get the newspaper or to the gas station for some gas. I love not having to watch girly stuff on TV because I really don't like TV

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:

What about you?

It's not so bad and I am welcomed and wanted by enough friends and family that it offsets it a bit. You can sit around and mope about it or you can just live your life and if it happens it happens. I think some of my married friends are actually a little jealous of me for still being single and wish they would have waited a little longer themselves. I also have never had to compromise who I was as a person to be in that relationship. A few of them have and they are not the happiest guys now for it. I think you should stop doing this or that and sell this and that! F-bomb that!LOL...........

Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
What about you?

Nope. I have always thought this culture in general was a bunch of sheep following a shepherd who manipulates them and feeds them to the wolves when profitable and holidays as a symbolic way for the people I know personally to make themselves feel better by overdoing things they feel they should do on a daily basis. Ergo I could care less about either.

Exactly, I agree with your entire post but this one stands out. Yes, the holidays are a JOKE along with all the gifts that Amercian girls demand to prove that you "love" them.

People are STUPID, all this crap was engineered by companies like Debeers. I swear, a piece of broken glass and a diamond all look the same to me!

Understanding The Human Herd Mentality — Ad Savvy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships