Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

you are not comfortable with what you have done. consider seeing a counselor. you may ask if you have any codependent issues. follow recommendations like your life depended on it esp 12 step coda if recommended. i dont see anything wrong with your methods but again
considering you handled it well and then felt very very bad. this is not good.
get out of the living with roommates stuff till you get this sorted out.
take care of youself. stop hooking up for awhile.
ps does not seem like you got nice
friends, maybe something besides a bar would be a better invironment to meet people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:56 PM

91 posts, read 426,200 times
DC Native,

I am sorry that happened. I think it's good that you left her.

As for me, I have ZERO TOLERANCE for cheating. I was married before to a serial cheater. He had started having an emotional affair with a woman after one year of marriage. I forgave him but shortly there after, he had several women over the 7 years of marriage.

I found out all in one day after looking at the telephone bill and over the course of 4 months.. I uncovered about 7 more women with alot of investigative work. It was four months of pure hell with every single woman being a knife in my gut.

It was all too much and I divorced him pronto.

I am married again and I am telling you, one false move on my husband's part, its over. Especially since he knows what my ex-husband did to me.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,168 times
I had experienced too being cheated on and it was before we even celebrated our first year as a married couple. I forgave him and tried to make it work out, but he did again just after 8 months. I guess, he is a serial cheater too.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:34 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,555,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Men and women - if your partner cheats on you, would you tolerate it? Would you hesitate to leave your partner, and stay in a relationship thinking that trust can be repaired? Have you been in that situation before, and how did you handle it? I'm curious.

I'm asking because I've been cheated on a few years ago. I have zero tolerance for cheating, and when I say that, I mean ZERO tolerance - once I found out what she had done, I flicked her out of my life. Just like that.

Here's what happened:

I was living with my (ex)girlfriend of 1.5 years in a nice apartment downtown, and I was paying 3/4 of the monthly rent and she chips in 1/4 of it. I took her out on dates and was pretty generous towards her, and one night she went out with "the girls". No problem, we all need some space.

I was chilling at a bookstore, when a trusted buddy of mine texted me and said he saw my gf at a club. I texted back, and said "hey thats cool, go tell her hi and talk to her". My buddy responds with: "umm. there's one little problem. she's with some other guy."

As soon as I saw those words, I felt a stabbing pain in my chest and my face felt hot. I struggled to breathe. Then I calmed myself down and texted back "what do you mean?" Well, my 2 other friends, who were hanging out with my buddy, texted me saying the same thing... and that she's making out with this guy on the dance floor. So that confirms it.

Half an hour later, I went home, and I sat on my couch thinking, "how could this happen? What went wrong?" I texted my buddy saying, "are you sure it's the right girl?" He responds by saying "check your email, I snapped a pic on my cell phone... she left the club with that guy"

I log onto my email, and sure enough, there was a picture of my girl leaving with this lanky guy with blonde hair. Same dress, same shoes, and her face was to the side, but I could instantly recognize her. It was her. It really burned me up. After shedding some (or more accurately, a LOT of) tears, I decided to end the relationship. Then I calmed down, took a shower, freshened up, and I waited until she came back home (at 6 am).

She was surprised to see me awake... and the conversation went like this - I was calm and grim the entire time:

Her: Why are you still up?
Me: Can't sleep. Why did you come home so late?
Her: Well, I went to a friends party, and I missed the last train home.
Me: *no response - just stared at her*
Her: *gets uncomfortable, starts filling in the silence with all sorts of excuses and explanations while avoiding admitting what she had done*
Me: Well, I heard you had a really good time at the club.
Her: huh?
Me: Come on. Stop lying to me.
Her: WHAT!!!! I'm NOT lying! How could you say that to me? *getting defensive*
Me: I'm no fool. Look at the computer screen *flicked it on, incriminating picture comes up*
Her:
Me: You violated our trust that binds our relationship. I will not tolerate this. Strike one, and I'm gone. This is something I cannot forgive. You have 48 hours to pack your stuff, hand me over the apartment key, and get out of here.
Her: *starts arguing, saying she won't leave*
Me: *trying my best to stay calm* If you do not pack up and get out by then, then I will pack your stuff and throw you and your stuff out.
Her: *storms out of the apartment in a huff*

I don't know where she slept that night, but it was no longer my concern. She came back and begged me to forgive her, and I ignored her pleas. This went on for 2 days. At the end of the 48 hours, she hadn't done any packing. So I waited until she had to go to work, I took the day off and packed her things into her bags. Then I had the resident manager change the lock on my apartment door and gave a new key. I dropped off her bags outside the door. No note, no email, no nothing.

Heard some pounding on the door, and I slipped a post-it note under the door... saying that if she didn't stop pounding the door, I would call the police and have them haul her away.

Never saw her again and/or contacted her after that. I did get a few emails from her months later, but I didn't bother replying.

So that's how I don't tolerate cheating in my relationships with women.

I'm curious to see if anybody has been in a situation where their partner cheated on them and how did they handle it? I'm also even more curious to hear from people who have cheated on their partners, and what led them to cheat, and why did they act on their urges. I know everyone has their urges (we're all humans here), but the fact that they act on them while in a relationship with someone leads me to believe that something was lacking in a relationship.

In hindsight, I realized that although I was generous, I wasn't the best boyfriend. I could've listened more, made more effort to understand her, and refrained from trying to solve her problems as she explained them to me. I can tolerate and forgive a lot, but I draw the line at cheating (as well as stealing).
Good for you!!! I mean that stinks that happend to you but good for you for kicking her butt out!! I feel the same way you do when it comes to cheating...No way in hell I would tolerate that kind of behavior in a 'loving' relationship. No thanks...

Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
DCNative,

Excellent, excellent move. Nothing worse than a distrustful, lying, cheating woman. Kudos to you for keeping your composure. She doesn't deserve you and there are far better, more suitable choices out there.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,091,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
DCNative,

Excellent, excellent move. Nothing worse than a distrustful, lying, cheating woman. Kudos to you for keeping your composure. She doesn't deserve you and there are far better, more suitable choices out there.
I think there's alot worse out there than a distrustful, lying, cheating woman. LOL

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I think there's alot worse out there than a distrustful, lying, cheating woman. LOL
"Nothing worse"...It's a figure of speech.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,926,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I suppose a murderous woman would be worse.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
ZERO tolerance also.
I think you did the right thing

Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
I feel the same, men or women, if you're not happy and feel you can't work it out, leave..But cheating is about control and about some problems the cheater has inside themselves...well then they should talk about it with their spouse or get outside help. How do they figure cheating solves anything? My second ex cheated under stress...when he started his own business, after my son died, when we moved to Florida. Nice excuse heh? At a time you need them most, they find "happiness" elsewhere and you're supposed to sit home and wait for them..hoping you don't get some STD; Talk about stress, LOL
I had to get an aids test, how pleasant is that? And he's the one that cheated....I learned my lesson and won't tolerate it anymore. It's more than the cheating; they take your selfconfidence and stomp on it and you end up being suspicious of everyone later on in your life and it's not the other people's fault. It's a lot of work afterwards to regain your former self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships