Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times

Advertisements

I am an atheist. I could never have married someone with "extreme" religious beliefs like those evangelicals you see on TV. They are not quiet, nor are they subtle about their beliefs. That's okay, just stay away from me.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone who quietly practiced their religion, so long as they respected my beliefs as well.

As it turned out, I married a man who is spiritual but not necessarily religious. I respect his beliefs and, many times, find them fascinating. He respects my beliefs as well. We have never had a negative conversation on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,950 times
I wouldn't have married a Muslim,Satanist,Pagan or Athiest.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I was a Catholic and went out with a Methodist and Lutheran. I'm open minded...I will listen to another religion. Just don't be a Holy Roller Pusher. It doesn't cut it with me.

My thoughts exactly! No holy roller "pushers" for me either.

On the otherhand, if you know any men who have a fondness for Super Tuscans, and would like to dance naked by the river under a full moon worshiping the goddess, then by all means bring 'em on. There will be no ritual sacrifice of humans, nor animals, involved in these festivities.

Last edited by saucywench; 05-01-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 03:34 PM

17 posts, read 27,396 times
I am a christian and my faith is important . I don't think I can have a romantic relationship with a non- christian/someone who doesn't believe in God. But of course I can be friends with people that have different beliefs.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvergaetira View Post
I'm an eclectic pagan/spiritual (perhaps universalist or pantheistic on a more comprehensive level) person who is not "religious," and would marry someone who I fell in love with that respected my right to my beliefs. He could be religious, atheist, etc., so long as we had mutual respect for the beliefs/practices of the other. I do not want children, so there is no problem there. An extremist of any religion would likely not be comfortable with my loose spirituality, and I would have a problem with the radical exclusionism (and sometimes hate) that fundamentalist/extremist religions sometimes inspire.....this sets some parameters to what would work, and what would not work for me.
I agree. My thing is morals and values are what's important and religion doesn't equal those things in a person. I know genuinely good people who do not go to church and I know some faithful church goers who act in a way you wouldn't believe. I know no one is perfect however there are a lot of hypocrites in the church and just because a person is 'religious' doesn't automatically make them a good person nor does a non church goer make a person bad or evil.

So I wouldn't let religion stop me from being with someone I loved. I don't think God wants people divided anyway which religion seems to divide people more so than bringing people together. I think people should be able to come together and accept one another whether the differences are culture, religion, food choices, etc. There's always differences in one way or another and I doubt God would want those things separating us.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Heck, I'm Episcopalian and I married a Catholic. The night we were engaged, I simply said, "Hey, I hope this isn't a dealbreaker, but I'm not converting. I'm not expecting you to, either." Over time, she eventually decided to switch (Zero pressure from me. In fact, I tried to talk her out of it, saying, "Don't do this on my behalf). But her parents were gigantic pains in the you-know-what, particularly whenever a baptism rolled around. Even now, they will try to talk our children into converting when we're not around.

So, yeah. If your religious values mean something to you, then it can be difficult. But if you both go into it with eyes wide open and in the spirit of respecting each other's beliefs, then it can be managed successfully.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Religion maybe a factor. Especially if the other person was insisting I convert to something radically different than my beliefs.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Someone who views everything through a religious lens probably ain't gonna work out for me.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 AM

751 posts, read 1,674,049 times
I was married for 30 yrs to a man who had a different religion then myself.Does this answer your question?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
As an athiest I prefer to date other atheists or agnostics. I wouldn't rule out a person who follows a religion so as long as they're not a religious fanatic or pushy about their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships