Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
So I'm 29, and my dating policy has always been no sex outside of a committed relationship. I'm going to stick to it, because I think it's a good policy that keeps me from being used and avoids unnecessary heartache. But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is? And I'm interested in hearing from mature adults not college kids. Thanks

That just shows you want to show your partner respect and you expect the same out of them. Committment means sticking together. If someone wanted sex outside of a committed relationship, then they wouldnt want a committed relationship in the first place.
I wouldnt want my partner to go a give someone whats special to me to another women..and I wouldnt do that to him too.
Its an wonderful idea...STICK TO IT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
you mean sex happens just when you are in a marriage, that is the only time sex has not happened for me.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:36 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,163,757 times
Quote:
I think this is absolute rubbish. And yes I'm the OP saying so. I have dated a lot of men with absolutely NORMAL sex drives and PLENTY of options who are willing to wait. Why? Because it's interesting how many men actually see it as a GOOD thing that the girl won't jump right into bed. Yes, they would LIKE to have sex quickly, and some of them will take advantage of those girls from time to time, but they won't want to keep her. If they find a girl that they are really into and who isn't willing to jump right into bed...well you'd be surprised how totally ok this is. And they are willing to wait for her. Because she's worth it. I'm not changing my policy and it sure hasn't affected my dating abilities. Any guy who won't abide by it isn't worth my time.
Then what was the point in even making this thread? Hmm??? Clearly you already made up your mind, you said so in the original post. You wanted to hear other points of view and when you finally hear something that doesn't sit well you just attack it? That's hardly keeping an open mind.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM

50 posts, read 58,416 times
I think this is a great idea, and one I will adopt after a bad experience where I didnt. Great approach, I totally agree with the principle.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Then what was the point in even making this thread? Hmm??? Clearly you already made up your mind, you said so in the original post. You wanted to hear other points of view and when you finally hear something that doesn't sit well you just attack it? That's hardly keeping an open mind.
Nobody cares about your point of view.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 AM

921 posts, read 1,133,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower888 View Post
I think this is a great idea, and one I will adopt after a bad experience where I didnt. Great approach, I totally agree with the principle.

This is the principle that I adopt to also.

It keeps you from feeling used and if anyone you meet can't adapt to your principle, than they should go on about their business.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 AM

37 posts, read 178,877 times
Many people have argued back and forth as to whether or not the human being is a monogamous creature. The irritating answer of “yes and no” is what I’m going to argue right here but I hope that it can be of some comfort for those who are wrestling with the idea.

There is one side of who we are which is most certainly not monogamous. The biological functioning meat machine we call our bodies is a mass of hormones and muscles, nerve signals and function-obeying procedures that can’t tell the love of your life from the person who works down at the ice-cream shop. The body does little more than react to signals from the outside, and it does so according to biological criteria.
Let’s say that you are a woman. Now we are talking, for the time being, at a purely biological level. Your body, sexual in nature, will have some kind of reaction when your biological buttons are pushed. Down at the deepest level, they are probably pushed by, deep voice, strong back, leadership attitudes and a protector instinct that is evident and non-threatening. You might not even like the guy in the slightest, let alone consider having sex with him. Yet at a totally primitive level, something within you is responding with sexual interest. The fact that you reject this guy is due to another part of your being, but at the most primal; your body is giving you a whole lot of signs.
As a man, you will be reacting to shining hair, a body with signs of fertility and youth and an attitude of softness and sexual openness even when you are absolutely loyal to your partner. All of these reactions happen down at a biological level quite apart from whether or not you chose to act upon them or not.
The thing is, humans are not just animals. We feel the animal desire start to well up within us and, unlike our animal friends with whom we share the planet; we can choose what we do and do not, based upon deeper criteria.
Humans have sex for a number of reasons. The “animal” or biological reasons are obvious. Nature plays a number of games with us to get us to have babies and to mix genes. Nature has created a bias towards certain genetic types in order to propagate the species and to produce children with high probabilities to survive and prosper. Beyond the animal is the desire for pleasure. We desire to give and receive sexual pleasure. When going through a phase in life in which we only desire to receive pleasure, we notice that our partners generally don’t last long and we pass into a shared pleasure dynamic. We start to learn that the other has a reality in which we are participating and as a result we start to develop an interest in their pleasure and satisfaction. In part, of course, the pleasure of the other is an affirmation of the “worth” that we hold as lovers, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as we recognize and value the pleasure and satisfaction of the other for the sake of the other. This is the start of sharing within the couple and the principle energy of give and take, to and fro and the round and round continuum of the yin-yang that can intensify almost indefinitely.
The true union of two people within this yin-yang dynamic creates a spiritual growth for both parties. Indeed, as they notice the barriers between them fade into nothing and pleasure becomes care and then becomes love, the responding to ones sexual impulses towards a third party seems trivial. More than trivial, it seems an interruption to the upward spiraling energy that is forming within the couple. It feels wrong. When the couple is returned to after such an episode, the energy is broken, interrupted and contaminated by the inclusion of the other.
It seems also, that in our society, men are steered almost exclusively towards sexual release. We (I’m a man) are shown images of actresses and models that appear to get hotter and hotter by the second and each year, we are presented with newer, younger and even more sexually open images of women. The woman is presented for her sexual value and her spiritual value is almost totally lost. Her spiritual value is pushed into the world of the feminine and isolated from men. How many men consider love, connection and spiritual connection to be wimpy and “girls stuff?” Women are pushed towards looking at men as asexual husbands despite the more modern focus of sexually powerful, handsome men that show their torsos on the covers of magazines and strut their stuff in movies. It’s clear that the vast majority of mass media is run by men. Perhaps I should say “boys” in fact. The images of men and women controlled by media shows an immature idea of what we are; the men are bred to be obedient slaves of their sexual impulses and the women are expected to push all that aside and be both the sexual slave of man and the virgin wife. To see the truth we must drop the popular fantasies of mass media and look within.
(Pretty picture of my pretty face)

Of course our biology is going to react when a beautiful body comes close and throws sexual signs at us. Our heart, however, in its infinite wisdom, knows that attraction… true attraction is a choice taken at the deepest level of our being. Do you value the deepest level of connection and the crescendo of passion that you can only have with your lover? If so then the random, flailing impulse of the sexual biology must be overcome. It isn’t a question of gritting your teeth and resisting, but a mere recognition of what truly has value for you. When you find this value, being faithful suddenly becomes easy. The hottest members of the opposite sex are still there but your circle of passion doesn’t include them. Oh they look nice, just as a painting by Picasso might look nice, but you have no reason to possess, to have and to take for yourself. Your sexual energy, is no longer the property of your biology.

It's from my blog www.brendancclarke.com if you are interested

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,622 times
^^^ Holy infomercial.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM

78,546 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
So I'm 29, and my dating policy has always been no sex outside of a committed relationship. I'm going to stick to it, because I think it's a good policy that keeps me from being used and avoids unnecessary heartache. But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is? And I'm interested in hearing from mature adults not college kids. Thanks
I'm not a good sharer. If I meet a gal I really like then why should I let her date around instead of tying her up (heh, double intendre) and exploring that possibility?

This fits my personality.

Not looking down my nose at others, people just need to openly communicate upfront about what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships