Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Opponents plan to march this month to protest construction of a new Islamic mosque in this Middle Tennessee town.

"The people have spoken clearly that they don't want this mosque proposal that is before them," march organizer Kevin Fisher said Friday.

Mosque proposal draws protest in Tenn. - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 PM

123 posts, read 131,341 times
I don't understand... Why bother protesting something silly like that?

Is the populace being forced to attend?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I understand how they feel, I don’t want christian churches in my neighborhood or town, but I recognize freedom of religion which lets me reject their religion requires me to let them live with their myths. The same is true with Islam, or any other religion. They just need to get over it.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Now who is protesting this, Atheists or Christians....... Hmmmmmm I wonder http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9057/254055.gif (broken link)

Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
If it's that much of a problem, then the proposal will be voted down...right?

Of course afterward, the people who wanted the mosque built won't accept that. They'll file a lawsuit alleging religious discrimination. Then there will be a highly publicized court battle. Then a bunch of windows will be smashed and houses mysteriously burned down in the middle of the night. Then Murfreesboro will be in all the national headlines and the talking heads (usual suspects) will have a field day throwing labels around.

Ah yes, as Reader's Digest used to say, life in these United States!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I live in this area and there are actually several Mosques that have been proposed in the greater Nashville or Middle Tennessee area that have become very controversial. The Muslim population in Tennessee and the US in general is actually very small and there are Christian churches of every denomination that you can think of all over the place so I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It's obvious why this is happening, many Americans associate this faith with terrorism due to 9/11 and other attacks around the world but they fail to recognize that the Muslim population in America had adjusted to life in this country and has never been a problem like it is in many parts of Europe where they've never been accepted. We're punishing this group of people for the crimes of a fraction of a percent of the hundreds of millions of Muslims who want to live in peace in a large number of nations. This nation is supposed to have been founded on the freedom of religion in such a manner that believers and non-believers as well as any believers in any minority religion should be treated as equals and be allowed to follow their own convictions. I don't think it's a very difficult concept to grasp, I wonder why so many people can't figure it out.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Tennessee is the Bible Belt. What do you people expect from Tennessee? Par for the course.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Tennessee is the Bible Belt. What do you people expect from Tennessee? Par for the course.
Yep...I imagine we'd get the same type of reaction here in Montgomery, AL from all the fanatical Christians. They all spout that we should love our neighbor as ourself...but don't put a mosque in my town...what a bunch of hypocrits!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I live in this area and there are actually several Mosques that have been proposed in the greater Nashville or Middle Tennessee area that have become very controversial. The Muslim population in Tennessee and the US in general is actually very small and there are Christian churches of every denomination that you can think of all over the place so I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It's obvious why this is happening, many Americans associate this faith with terrorism due to 9/11 and other attacks around the world but they fail to recognize that the Muslim population in America had adjusted to life in this country and has never been a problem like it is in many parts of Europe where they've never been accepted. We're punishing this group of people for the crimes of a fraction of a percent of the hundreds of millions of Muslims who want to live in peace in a large number of nations. This nation is supposed to have been founded on the freedom of religion in such a manner that believers and non-believers as well as any believers in any minority religion should be treated as equals and be allowed to follow their own convictions. I don't think it's a very difficult concept to grasp, I wonder why so many people can't figure it out.
Those feelings are only natural. The Muslims population is increasing rapidly in the UK & several other European countries. This frightens many Americans.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Opponents plan to march this month to protest construction of a new Islamic mosque in this Middle Tennessee town.

"The people have spoken clearly that they don't want this mosque proposal that is before them," march organizer Kevin Fisher said Friday.

Mosque proposal draws protest in Tenn. - USATODAY.com
Who asked them? Nobody needs my permission to build a church down the street from me. And I wouldn't care if the did, unless, let's say, there was a congregation of 3000 and they were planning to put only 150 parking spots and there was no traffic mitigation plan or something like that.....

And what's an "Islamic Mosque"?

Is there any other type of mosque?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality